Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: strat for moroes ??

strat for moroes ??

hi, my guild will be starting kara next week, and i'm looking for strats on moroes.
    we'll have a priest for shackle, and a hunter for trap. so i figured i'll tank moroes and have the warrior off-tank.
    one strat i've been thinking of is somehow causing damage to the shackled mob before the shackle, either AS or excorsism, ...but the rest is a bit vague atm.
    if anyone has a good strat that works well, i'd apreciate some help

Here is what my guild has done, assuming 1 shackle and 1 trap.

1. Shackle the Holy Priest
    2. Burn the Shadow Priest
    3. Dealing with other adds

If you have the prot warrior, have your hunter trap him.

If you have the mortal strike warrior, have the MT (unless you don't have the ret pally in which case you want to have the OT pick him up) pick him up with the pull.

If you have the ret pally, have the OT pick him up. I think you can trap him effectively enough as well if you are finding your tanks struggling to hold 2 adds and Moroes at the start.

Fight for agro over Moroes, and occasionally taunt the add off the OT, while he does the same if you have an add on you.

Whenever Moroes vanishes have the raid burn the Retadin (or MS warrior if you don't have the Retadin), then back to Moroes. When the first tanked add dies have the raid switch to the other add being tanked or kited whenever Moroes isn't a target.

--------------

Honestly, the first few times in doing this fight it will be to your advantage to burn kill as few of the adds as possible in order to get Moroes down as fast as possible because as the garotes stack up your healers will become more strained. Learning this fight, especially if this is your guild's first couple times to Kara is much easier with more than 1 shackle - but as you grow comfortable with it and your dps increases shackle becomes less and less important.
    The beast is getting hungrier.

Bring in two holy priests and two shadow priests...

Moroes will have 4 adds... 2 casters 2 melee.

Have MT and OT tank Moroes. You want both tanks on Moroes to build up as much threat as possible before the rest of raid focus on him, so after he vanishes, he'll be more likely to go after the OT and not your healers.

CC the 2 melee adds, the dudes are melee.

Down the 2 casters first then all on Moroes, the Lady and Baroness.

Once the caster adds are down, all DPS on Moroes while the melee adds continue to be CC'd.

Moroes down, get last two adds.

Bosskillers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Legotick View Post
    Moroes will have 4 adds... 2 casters 2 melee.

Have MT and OT tank Moroes. You want both tanks on Moroes to build up as much threat as possible before the rest of raid focus on him, so after he vanishes, he'll be more likely to go after the OT and not your healers.

CC the 2 melee adds, the dudes are melee.

Down the 2 casters first then all on Moroes, the Lady and Baroness.

Once the caster adds are down, all DPS on Moroes while the melee adds continue to be CC'd.

Moroes down, get last two adds.

After a vanish he will go after a random raid member, no matter how much threat they have, The reason you want 2 tanks on moroes os becuase of the Gouge and blind he does, He will gouge the MT from time to time and then he will hit the OT for the duration of this.

Blind should be dispelled as quickly as possible from whoever gets it, if Gouge and blind are upp at the same time then he will most likely go for a healer and one shot him.

This is a old write up that i found covered in dust in our guild website.
    Hope it helps, Enjoy -Boda

If you have a lock -- curse of tonges on the casters helps

Millstipe- Shadow Priest
    If this toon is there she dies 1st most of the time.
    she mana burns bad so bring here off to the side and smoke the shyt outta her fast
    If you have only 1 warrior add you might consider shackling her if your having trouble with intrupting her mana burn on your healers or caster dps.
    If you cant shack her interupts are a must and you really gotta watch for it.

Berrybuck- Holy pally
    Use 2 rouges to constantly stun lock and kick/ inturpt / blind this toon till the rest of the raid can get on her as soon as the shad priest is dead or kill her first if you have enough shacks out.

Lord Crisp- Prot tank
    Shackle the whole time while hunter backs up with a freeze trap incase of a shack break - kill 3rd or keep shackled and kill after moroes then kill first after boss

Lord Robin- MS warr
    Shackle the whole time while hunter backs up with a freeze trap incase of shackle break and kill dead last!

This may vary depnding on wat 4 u get but the clothies should allways die first followed by the pally then the warrs. You can kill them all while your off tank and main tank are on the boss or leave 1 cc'd or 2 cc'd this will have to be played with to find the best or easiest way.

Then for Moroes:
    he vanishes alot and when he does he pulls a move called gurrot wich does 1,000 damgage every 3 sec for 5 mins as im told. This can be stoped by Bless. of protection from your pally on a priest or the same move on a tank but remove it when he becomes un steathed so ur tank can pic up aggro again. also from reading above it seems intervene form warrs helps for priest. Pallys can also bubble for this and Dwarf use stone form and mages ice block, for the rest of the classes you need to call out on vent if u get nailed with this move and the healer has to be on you till it goes away or ur dead simple as that.

He also has a blind hits the 2nd person on the aggro list and it is a poison -- dissplable
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Heres the full name list of the 6 possible adds that spawn with Moroes, only 4 will spawn and they will remain the same until there dead or the instance resets on Tue.

Baron Rafe Dreuger – Retribution Paladin
    Lady Keira Berrybuck – Holy Paladin
    Baroness Dorothea Milstipe – Shadow Priest
    Lady Catriona Von’Indi – Holy Priest
    Lord Robin Daris – Mortal Strike Warrior
    Lord Crispin Ference – Sword n’ Board Warrior

I realized that the above strat only had 4 of them on it. But as I recall those are the most common spawns. I do apologize for the bad gramar and spelling from the copy paste, i should have reviewed it a little better. But I think you get the jist.

For the CC part if you dont have enough Shackles , Hunters traps work just as well if you have good hunters. I used to run kara with no shackles so it can be done. But the poster from above is right. For your first few times make it easy to get a look and learn use 2 shackles.
    Last edited by Bodasafa; 03-01-2008 at 12:04 AM.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Millstipe dies first on all my raids, you don't want her to get a Mana burn off.

If you have Crispin (prot warrior) have the off tank pull him over to where you fight moroes, use him as a rage battery. Occasionally hit him, disarm him, etc., and when Moroes disappears, lay into him.

After the raid kills Millstipe, kill the other caster, then kill one of the shackles, usually Rafe. Keep the MS warrior shackeled the whole time.

Crispin makes the fight easy. Don't waste CC on him, just tank him. He's not going to go anywhere if you have a competent tank and off tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakbak View Post
    Millstipe dies first on all my raids, you don't want her to get a Mana burn off.

If you have Crispin (prot warrior) have the off tank pull him over to where you fight moroes, use him as a rage battery. Occasionally hit him, disarm him, etc., and when Moroes disappears, lay into him.

After the raid kills Millstipe, kill the other caster, then kill one of the shackles, usually Rafe. Keep the MS warrior shackeled the whole time.

Crispin makes the fight easy. Don't waste CC on him, just tank him. He's not going to go anywhere if you have a competent tank and off tank.
    Couldn't agree more. We have a warrior tank and a druid OT, so we have the druid pick up Crispy and just let him hit the druid the whole fight, since the druid is inherently immune to disarm.

As a side note, we also have our healadin stand inside Moroes, since blind is applied to the closest person to him, not to the person that is second on the threat list. Since that's the healadin, they just get blinded once in a while. We have her throw a judge of light on Moroes too, so that the two tanks can heal themselves, and the druid can hold Crispy there with swipe, and he has plenty of rage to make sure he's #2 on the threat meter on Moroes.

Since our standard group has at least 2 priests we burn whichever priest we get, let Crispy help our Bear keep rage up and keep the other two shackled until we're done with Moroes.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

Some notes on each mob:

Baron Rafe Dreuger – Retribution Paladin
    Must be kept CC'd at all times.

Lady Keira Berrybuck – Holy Paladin
    Hits pretty hard - if you can't keep her stunlocked the whole time you're killing her then you need to keep her CC'd. She stuns, heals, dispells and buffs the other mobs. We keep her cc'd. This is one of my least favorite mobs to have.

Baroness Dorothea Milstipe – Shadow Priest
    Dies first, dies fast. We have our elemental shaman tank her, and just Earth Shock the Mana burns and drop a grounding totem if the cooldown is up.

Lady Catriona Von’Indi – Holy Priest
    If we have her and Dorothea then we kill both of them. Just interupt her heals. Doesn't hit hard enough to need a tank.

Lord Robin Daris – Mortal Strike Warrior
    Hits really freaking hard. I keep my best shackler on this guy. Use a shadowpriest if you have it - they tend to have more spell hit. I usually have a hunter back up the s. priest with a freeze trap. I've lost 5 clothies at once when he got loose, went into a group of casters, MS'd one then did a WW and killed another 4. In order to deal with him you must tank him with a real tank.

Lord Crispin Ference – Sword n’ Board Warrior
    My personal favorite. Hit biggest threat is that he can disarm you. Thunderclap, Demo Shout and Shield Slam all still work however, just not any of your weapon based attacks. Don't forget that you also loose the ability to parry when your weapon is gone. We never CC this guy, we just wail on him a bit when Moroes is vanished. Its very important to note, Moroes can run up to you and gouge you immediately, so while you do need to hit him, don't spend a lot of time on it, your OT must build enough threat on Moroes to not loose him to a healer when the MT is gouged.

Again Depends on the makeup but i'd suggest..

Trap one, CC one and Burn a Caster Fast.

If you get the prot warrior have the OT pull him get a couple of sunders up and then swap to moroes. Cleave and TC to keep using rage and stop the prot guy from swapping to healers.

Once you have 1 mob down All on moroes and kill him. Once hes dead just run out and down the stairs the remaining 3 mobs will despawn and go back an loot moroes,

I'd just like to add that Rafe doesnt need to be kept cc'ed. We dont usually have many priests so if possible we shackle one (either holy priest/pally, ms warrior), burn one (millstipe usually), OT one (crispin prefered). Unless we have a spare shackle to Dreuger we usually get a pally to fear him once or a hunter to trap him once and then burn him down - not tanked.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I'd just like to add that Rafe doesnt need to be kept cc'ed. We dont usually have many priests so if possible we shackle one (either holy priest/pally, ms warrior), burn one (millstipe usually), OT one (crispin prefered). Unless we have a spare shackle to Dreuger we usually get a pally to fear him once or a hunter to trap him once and then burn him down - not tanked.
    If you're fearing & trapping him isn't that CC?

The problem with Rafe is that he's a ret pally, and he can stun.

Since stuns are very inconvenient to the raid in general, we keep him cc'd.

Oh, and since he's a pally, he can also buff (blessing of might on moroes = badness) & dispel shackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Smaken View Post
    Oh, and since he's a pally, he can also buff (blessing of might on moroes = badness) & dispel shackle.
    The holy paladin does Blessing of Might and Cleanse, the retribution paladin does not have these abilities, actually.

We bring 2 priest for 2 shakles, and 1 hunter for 1 trap. 1 ret pally, for the loose adds, me and the MT on Moroes and 4 more dps more. 2 of the DPS stay with the tanks as the other two cover the healers. Usualy, one of those dps is a rouge, who stunlocks the targer while a trap is reset or a shakle is cast. They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
    Don't like my tanking? Call 1-800-EAT-FIST

I dont count turn undead as cc, as its cd is longer than the length of time it lasts. It is however useful for fearing one add (assuming not enough shackles, or non prot-pally, or just not in the mood for multimob tanking) for a few seconds at the start of a fight. Likewise depending on the skill (and talents) of your hunters, it can be safer to trap, while burning the first add down and then kill the trapped target - this has the added advantages that: - a trap can be placed near priests incase shackles escape and it gives your tanks longer to build agro on Moroes.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

Iv'e asked the same question in the past, but here's something that I was informed about Moroes...how to handle his gouge and blind. First, in case your not aware of how he uses those, he will only gouge his current target, which would normally be the Mt. 2nd he will blind the next closest member, regardless of threat.

How to handle gouge...reading up on wowwiki."Causes X damage, incapacitating the opponent for 4 sec, and turns off your attack. Target must be facing you. Any damage caused will revive the target. Awards 1 combo point."

Target must be facing you.

If you tank Moroes with you back to him, he will never gouge you. However, tanking with your back to any mob does take some practice. You have to keep backing up until your close enough to use your threat generating abilities. The hard part I find is getting close enough to use your abilities while not getting to close that he turns and backs away, at which point you need to back up more...etc...but I have done it. This part requires practice and skill.

So what about Blind, you don't need to have your offtank on moroes to soak up the blind, just have 1 of your casters be closer than anyone else in the raid, and do not have one of your healers or CC'ers fill that roll. Have a mage or warlock for example. So this part requires positioning of the blind soak.

So far your one tanking Moroes. If your gear is good enough, you can also tank one of Moroes adds. The prot warrior is best for this, but he disarms...which is annoying, but there are ways through gear choices to overcome some if not all of this problem. You just need to tab back and forth occasionally to Moroes and the add, to keep threat on each. This can be done, Iv'e done it, and requires some skill and practice.

Also, if you use this strategy, remember also that you need to do the pull, so that Moroes AND the add you want come to you from the start. But your going to have to generate a bit of threat on both mobs quickly before the heals start pouring in.

Now for the rest of the adds. If you have 1 shackle, and 1 trap, shackle the pally, whatever you have and trap the arms warrior if you have it. If the hunter doesnt have the spec for improved trap, then communicate with him or her for their trap timer so that you are working with them from the pull rather than against them. Keep the shackle up the whole fight. So now you have 1 mob on the Maintank with Moroes, 1 shackled and 1 traped, leaving 1 up. We always seem to get the shadow priest and that needs to be burned down first and fast. Have your offtank pick that up and pull it off to the side, away from the group. Once threat has been established, burn it down fast. Then my suggestion is to burn down the traped. Why? Because the hunter can relax and dps Moroes. Besides, the Main tank should be fine with Moroes and the prot warrior on him/her.

Once those 2 are down, have the offtank come over to moroes and start building threat on him, constantly, to ensure he/she gets higher than the healers. Then when Moroes vanishes, burn down the prot warrior.

At this point, both tanks can face Moroes and the group can burn him down. However, there is always the chance that Moroes Gouges the Mt and then suddenly blinds the Ot because now the Ot is the next closest to him and then all hell breaks loose. If your maintank can comfortably tank with his back to Moroes, he should for the remainder of the fight. Besides, the amount of threat that the MT should have on Moroes by the time the adds are down, should be so high than he has little risk of losing Moroes, even if he has to keep adjusting his position to back up enough to use his abilities on Moroes...

Also, once Moroes is down, have the group run out of the room to reset the last add. You dont need to burn him down because once Moroes is down, reseting the add wont reset Moroes....its up to you at that point.

I took the time to provide my suggestion because I noticed how many people were saying, make sure you bring enough priests, or enough tanks, etc....you can't always control that and you need an opinion from someone who has done it with just one tank and no offtank... Yes no Offtank. The shadow priest doesnt need to be tanked. None of the cloth wearing mobs need to be tanked. The danger with them is their spell abilities, not the melee damage. So if your one tanking... try if you can to have 2 shackles...it will definitely make your job alot easier.

Btw, I got alot of this information from the chat box here and would like to thank all of those who helped me when I needed help.
    Last edited by Rhorr; 03-28-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalize View Post
    After a vanish he will go after a random raid member, no matter how much threat they have, The reason you want 2 tanks on moroes os becuase of the Gouge and blind he does, He will gouge the MT from time to time and then he will hit the OT for the duration of this.

Blind should be dispelled as quickly as possible from whoever gets it, if Gouge and blind are upp at the same time then he will most likely go for a healer and one shot him.
    He target random member after vanish? - YES
    - but in addition he will do garrote attack on that member a badass dot which will kill them if they are not getting a few heals.

He use gouge and blind? - YES

Not neccesarily on MT or OT, we had loads of melee in this fight last time i was there, and i was a MS-warrior who did not tank. We had 2 offtanks. He did however use blind on me, it didnt last very long and was np when it was on me, i just did lil less dps for a few sec.

Quote Originally Posted by ratatosk View Post
    He target random member after vanish? - YES
    - but in addition he will do garrote attack on that member a badass dot which will kill them if they are not getting a few heals.

He use gouge and blind? - YES

Not neccesarily on MT or OT, we had loads of melee in this fight last time i was there, and i was a MS-warrior who did not tank. We had 2 offtanks. He did however use blind on me, it didnt last very long and was np when it was on me, i just did lil less dps for a few sec.
    He Gouges the highest aggro, which should be the Mt, but he blinds the next closest person in the raid, not the 2nd highest aggro...so whoever is closest, will get blinded... If you were just a bit closer to him compared to the 2 offtanks, or even right on top of him for that matter, then you will receive te blind. Just in case you needed that cleared up.

This boss fight can be very challenging for anyone not aware of his abilities and how to deal with them...