+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minimum gear level for Imp. Slam?

Minimum gear level for Imp. Slam?

Hello everyone,

I respecced into an Imp. Slam build right after hitting 70, with the expectation that it'd be a decent DPS spec to bring into raids. I've since gotten fairly well geared - only two Kara pieces, but between badge rewards, good blues and welfare epics, I'm sitting pretty nicely compared to most post-Karazhan DPS warriors.

My guild has recently started running SSC/TK on Sundays, and since they're low on people on the weekend, I've managed to work my way into a few runs. They have one other DPS warrior specced Fury with very similar stats; he has about 100 more AP than I do, but I stack about 8% more crit than he does. Overall, I'd say we're evenly matched in terms in terms of gear.

The thing is, I'm way below him on damage. It usually works out to about a 150-250 DPS difference between the two of us. I've spent lots of time practicing my rotation, so I've got it down to a high degree of accuracy; I slip up every now and then, but I'm pretty generally nailing things. Now, I understand that I'll be lower on DPS than a similarly geared Fury warrior, but this seems a little high to me.

Should I be expecting this? Since I am in fairly low-level gear, I'm wondering if there's a minimum amount of AP/Crit I need before I can effectively DPS as Imp. Slam. The difference between us is big enough that I'm consistently near the lower end of raid DPS, while he's around the top. It's also not just this one warrior - I did a Gruul run recently with another Fury warrior who was once again similarly geared, with the same result. To be fair, the group I run with has SSC and TK cleared up to Vashj/Kael, so the rest of the raid is pumping out a fair amount of damage.

For reference (no need for an armory link, methinks), I'm packing about 1550 AP, 35% Crit, 350 ArP, and I'm at my hit cap.

Hi,

an armory link is quite useful. In my Opinion you have to consider your full raid stats. Yesterday i tried my slam/ms build for the first time in tk. I got the 2h Axe from Kael an did 4500 slam-damage

I had to drop some items for 142 hit rating.

The World of Warcraft Armory

I appear to be in Battle Stance - my crit while in Zerker Stance is 35.81%. I'd also post some WWS reports, but the only ones I have are from Sunday, where I was specced deep Arms since I couldn't get a Windfury. Since I'm the "new guy," the RL likes to give WF to the rogues and other DPS Warrior - I only get one when there are less than 6 melee DPS...

i don't mean to hijack the thread but....

With flurry bugged isn't it likely the case that the gap between DWFury and 2hand would be extra large?

if a DW is not in flurry he has more hits to fire it off again where as a 2hander will lose time getting flurry back up...

I'd say that if you could stop flurry from dropping (which is near impossible atm) you may find the gap is closer....

Just my ideas.

You wont perform enought damage with your current equipment!

35.81% Crit (5% from axe) / 1558 AP (70 from avery) / 10.46% Hit

- small shoulder enchant?
    => farm for exalted
    - 24 AP on bracers?
    => go for +12 strenght because of SDK
    - +12 stamina gem in belt for 3 agility?
    => get a red gem with 8 strenght an forget about the set bonus
    => you need +12 agility on feet (or surefooted)

chardev.org - A World of Warcraft character planner v.2.beta

I am not very well geared, because i never played SSC or TK for a long time. But i am quite sureprised to see white hit + extra hit + wf hit + ms hit => 4k - 9k instant. This seems to be very good, except one hit misses the target und you get out of your cycle.

Well large crits make you feel like your doing awesome dmg you should remember that your dps is coming from sustaining a clean cycle. Generaly at your gear level this is a lot harder to do... Also kael drops a sword. PvE isn't about burst.

@lowmotion
    Yeah, I realize there are some subtle tweaks I could make to my gear, but in the end they won't be what's making the difference.

I've had someone else tell me not to stack so much crit before too, but I have yet to hear a compelling reason to... Perhaps someone can clarify this for me.

According to maxdps.com, if I'm running with a perfect white/WW/MS/Slam rotation (Imp. Slam, basically), stacking 10str will give me 1 more dps than stacking 10crit rating, so the difference is still fairly small. However, crits get me more rage (I believe it bumps a multiplier to 1.7 instead of 1.3), procs my Hourglass of the Unraveler, keeps Deep Wounds up (and subsequently Blood Frenzy), and also keeps flurry up - I'm not sure it's a good idea to drop all that for a little bit more consistent DPS. Once start using Sword Spec, crit will be even more beneficial, since I can crit off my sword procs.
    Last edited by shiz98; 02-21-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Grammars (egad)

Maxdps says: go for strenght. If you take chardev and use the best items, maxdps would say: go for crit! T6 takes crit and gives ArP. Maxdps doesnt consider sword spec.

Sword wont be much better than axe in pve.

Patch 2.4 offers you an huge upgrade by going for Blade of Harbingers. This axe will give you a lot more dps. Then you can buy the ring which gives you arp and perhaps the crossbow with 2nd best range dps stats.

Season 4 is coming and S4 chest, legs and head will be compareable to T6. Most of season 3 items are far better than blue pve items.

+ Reply to Thread