+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting for my gem/enchant choices

Getting for my gem/enchant choices

I have been tanking from kara up to mid-BT. Mainly as an offtank. I have recently began maintanking in my guild, and I am getting shit for my gem/enchant choices. Personally, I think I know what's best for me and what's best in general when it comes to gearing for certain fights/raids but I would like some opinions on how to deal with this. The GM in my guild and several officers think I am "slightly retarded" for gemming for stamina (..yea). I tried to explain to them that gemming for stamina is the best way to go in most cases, and when I need more avoidance I can always swap trinkets/rings/neck/etc. I just threw out there that they can look up most other successful guilds and see how their tanks gem themselves and it would most likely be stamina as well. The response I got was, "well you are not in t6 gear yet". From what I've seen/experienced, gemming for stamina is the best way to go in almost every situation since TBC and 99% of all maintanks I have seen gemmed that way ever since kara. Of course you need nice armor/avoidance (that goes w/o saying), but that should come with the gear. Basically, I'd like some of you to look me up on the armory and lemme know what you think. If you agree with me, how should I deal with the situation? I'm getting the impression that they think I am bull-headed and that they know what's best for me, and basically think I'm too dumb to tank for them. It's only with my current guild. The previous maintank who has recently stopped playing, did not agree with a lot of the choices I would have made gear-wise. He totally ignored expertise (sacrificing expertise for hit in many situations.. he used the king's defender and the cleaver off zul'jin with an 8hit gem over the brutalizer), thought 2% threat on gloves was stupid, and pushed armor over al other stats (severely gimping stats like block value). I was in prior guilds where all the tanks knew their shit and we all seemed to have similar choices when it came to how we geared ourselves and the other classes didnt give us shit for gemming stam, and this current situation is bothering me. Any input would be appeciated.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...mmer&n=Dragaan
    (armory is showing my stats wrong atm.... in-game its showing like 18.6k health 25.55dodge 18.1k armor with those same buffs.. trying to log out w/o any buffs)

edit: Forgot to specify - I am tanking the very beginning of hyjal and bt now, and even tanking ssc/tk again because we have recently lost several key players (disagreements with the GM i believe...). So yea, that's where I'm at.
    Last edited by Dragaan; 02-09-2008 at 10:55 AM.

well since you are saying that you've lost players due to disagreements with the GM and from what you've said above about your GM disagreeing with your choice to put +sta in gem slots then that pretty much sums up that your GM knows dick about what he's talking about +12 Sta vs. avoidance gems is a no brainer in most cases, as you stated if you want avoidance or hit or EP you can swap out gear for it. Why your GM is having such a hard time grasping this idea i dunno. All i can say is link him to the many posts here on the forums about warrior dynamics and guides and prove to him that it is common accepted to gem for sta over anything else. All else fails, time to find a new guild where the GM lacks the understanding of how warriors and tanking operates.
    http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/1960943zaqih.pnghttp://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/2176267QlCMZ.png
    Peter: By the way Lois, I got a piercing over there. I'm not going to tell you where but I will give you a hint--it wasn't on my nose or my ear and it was one of my balls

I'm afraid if I try and show her any of these links, I will come off to her as a hardass who's just trying to prove im right about everything... The main thing she is saying (she is a holy priest) is that I take a lot of dmg (as opposed to the previous tank i suppose - although I also have higher threat and I don't always want buffs that only benefit me as opposed to the whole party, etc). -i'd like to add tho, that so far there have been almost no wipes due to my death from simply being hit too hard. That really has never been an issue. they just say i need more heals....- I have tanked for lots of different groups, and I have never been told that I have been hard to heal. I know how to tank. I block each micosecond its up. I keep debuffs up. I pop ironshields/seeds, etc. I just don't know what the deal is.. I tried explaining that my job isnt necessarily to make the healers job easier (by simply avoiding and trying to take zero dmg at all times) but it's to be able to SURVIVE large amts of damage. And the fact that im severely overgeared for a lot of the encounters I'm currently tanking just makes me even more confused....
    Last edited by Dragaan; 02-09-2008 at 12:09 PM.

The best thing you can do, in my opinion? Link them to TankSpot. We have excellent tanks from all levels of content, here. If they think they know better than the people who do this day in and day out, they can come here and argue their case.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Thanks for the replies. But so far I'm just hearing how to respond to the GM/officers in my guild... What about my gear? Honestly, I put a lot of time/effort into buffing my gear and I thought my stats were pretty good for the gear I have access to.. Any suggestions? If anything, I would think tanks would tell me to gem for MORE stam and get rid of some of the defense/stam gems I have socketted (although the main reason for this is that I had access to epic def/stam gems but not pure epic stam gems. And I used to have a 12stam gem in the shield but popped 8dodge in there when we started on bloodboil).

So what if your taking more damage, if you have the armor/health pool to take the hits then it should make you EASIER to heal. The whole EH theory is healing a steady income of damage versus taking random spikes of bigger damage and not being able to take the hits. Plain and simple, by stacking Sta over avoidance on gem slots you yeilds you a better investment imo. Perhaps your GM is unfamilar with the EH theory versus stacking avoidance.
    http://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/1960943zaqih.pnghttp://sigs.guildlaunch.net/wsig.php/2176267QlCMZ.png
    Peter: By the way Lois, I got a piercing over there. I'm not going to tell you where but I will give you a hint--it wasn't on my nose or my ear and it was one of my balls

I have never seen gemming for stamina fail me yet. If I want more avoidance, that's what jewelry and trinkets are for. I have a 60% avoidance set that takes me down to 14.5K health. I prefer stamina in most cases. And 2% threat to gloves stupid? *chuckle* You're doing things fine, just have confidence in how you do it and people can put up or shut up.

+ Reply to Thread