+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a Bear be an Hydross MT?

Can a Bear be an Hydross MT?

I've seen plenty of threads on how to gear a prot warrior to be one of the Hydross MTs.

Is there any way to gear a bear for this fight though? They can obviously use the same crafted jewelry and have lower defense requirements, but there's no crafted equivalent to the Iceguard or Wildguard gear.

Any thoughts?

Coupled with Resilience, and random greens with Nature resist, I can see it being possible, but your gear makeup won't be optimal and it'd be based on random luck.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It is possible I suppose, but would be nearly impossible to gear for it without giving up to much. Also you don't have the added Def stance/imp defensive stance dmg reduction which is a big help for learning the fight.

Warrior and paladins have between 10 and 15.60% of added damage reduction. It's not that big, but when learning the fight any bit of help is welcome.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

*sigh* I was afraid of that. We currently only have 1 prot warrior MT and use bears and a tankadin as the rest of our tanking team.

It wasn't until I started digging around this morning that I discovered that there aren't leather equivalents to the normal plate gear.

Thanks Bliz! We'll have to look at what we have in the way of BOE greens and see if it makes sense to try anyway, or if we should try to fast-track another warrior for this fight.

If you have a paladin, gear him for it.

[item]Dragonhawk Hat[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (56 stam, 37 resistance)
    [item]Pendant of Withering[/item]/[item]Pendant of Thawing[/item]
    [item]Dragonhawk Shoulderguards[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (42 stam, 27 resistance)
    [item]Living Cloak[/item] ... of Agility (+17 agility)/[item]Frigid Cloak[/item] ... of Agility (+17 agility)
    [item]Dragonhawk Tunic[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (56 stam, 37 resistance)
    [item]Dragonhawk Bands[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (32 stam, 21 resistance)
    [item]Dragonhawk Gloves[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (42 stam, 27 resistance)
    [item]Dragonhawk Belt[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (42 stam, 27 resistance)
    [item]Dragonhawk Pants[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (56 stam, 37 resistance)
    [item]Dragonhawk Boots[/item] ... of Nature/Frost Protection (42 stam, 27 resistance)
    [item]The Natural Ward[/item]/[item]The Frozen Eye[/item]
    [item]Living Band[/item] ... of Agility (+17 agility)/[item]Frigid Band[/item] ... of Agility (+17 agility)
    [item]Talisman of the Alliance[/item]/[item]Talisman of the Horde[/item]
    [item]Alembic of Infernal Power[/item]
    [item]Vengeful Gladiator's Bonegrinder[/item]

Total: 341 Resistance, 530 (Nature)/514 (Frost) stamina, 100 Resilience.

With just the shoulder enchant, you're crit immune. I don't know how much stamina or resistance you need for Hydross--never bothered checking--but this should give you an idea, at least. I think it's possible. Whether or not it's worth hunting the gear down, though...
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Use your pally as 1 tank, your warrior as the other tank, and use the bears as OT's, its much easier to get 50/50 resil sets with bears than it would be to amass what Norrath stated.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

We used a bear once when our regular nature tank wasn't around on SSC night. Worked fine. Bear (heh) in mind, though, that this was a very experienced, skilled feral who had gear good enough to compensate for the crappy NR stuff he had to use.

In theory you can, in fact you are making things harder, it's like using a warrior to tank Morogrim... o wait.
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

We've always done Hydross with a druid being the NR tank, and we never had a problem with him .

Done Hydross with a druid being MT and done Morogrim with a warrior being MT. Both are simple. Also have done druid OTs on Hydross ALWAYS with 0 resist gear. It is NOT needed for the spawns.

Please stop reading bosskillers as the bible of bossfights. Hydross adds only get bad in MOH 5, they should all be dead by then. As for MT resist gear, with totems / auras in the 2 MT groups, FULL resist gear isnt needed. Shoot for 290, i have done it easily with 220 and higher stam levels.

I would like to add there is VERY few fights where you MUST have X tank (class) for a boss fight. Think outside the box, think what the boss does, and if you can counter it. Hydross doesnt crush, his attacks can be dodged, bear is fine. Keep crit immune first ALWAYS, then push resist / stam to its highest level.

Found a fantastic list of druid resist gear on the WoW forums.

Here's the link to the thread: A Guide For Completing Resistance Sets

Here's the actual list. NOT my work, but thought it might be handy to have a copy of it on Tankspot:

At least every other day there's a thread up here about the lack of resistance gear available to druids. There may not be anything that drops for us but there certainly is gear out there for the job. Druids can get some really nice resist sets, we may take 16% more damage but properly geared we will have at least 20-30% more HP than a warrior in resist gear. This may not make us preferable, but if spike damage is an issue it might be something to consider and it at least makes us viable resist tanks. We will require more healing, but are harder to kill in a short period of time.

If you look for the right stuff you should be able get 15-16,000 HP, 365 resistance (with appropriate buffs), uncrittable, and still have 15-20k AC for each set. I will include what I am using for each of my resist sets. Each of these sets can be gathered by mostly solo means, and though it may take some time and gold your guild will love you for doing it.

You may want to start by collecting Season 1 chest and shoulders and put Void Spheres in all sockets and 7 resists on the shoulders. These 2 items with Veteran's Dragonhide bracers alone will get you to uncrittable as well as provide some resists. The S1 or S2 Head piece would be a good idea to get too since for FR you cant use the S1 Chest you'll need to make up for the Resilience. Timelapse Shard (27 Stam/24 Resil trinket), Earthwarden, Veteran's Belt, or Resolute Cape (w/resist enchant) could also be considered. If you're willing to spend the gold get Darkmoon Card: Vengeance (Furies Deck) and/or Madness (Lunacy Deck) as well.

Arcane - 342 AR, 16,195 HP, Uncrittable

Head: Lvl 68 Arcane Protection green w/20 AR enchant
    Neck: Pendant of the Null Rune
    Shoulders: Season 1 w/7 Resists enchant (Void Spheres)
    Back: Cloak of Arcane Evasion w/15 AR enchant
    Chest: Season 1 w/15 Resilience enchant (Void Spheres)
    Wrists: Veteran's Dragonhide Bracers w/12 Stam enchant (4 Agi 6 Stam gem)
    Hands: Enchanted Clefthoof Gloves w/ 8 AR kit (12 Stam gems)
    Waist: Belt of Natural Power (4 Agi 6 Stam gems)
    Legs: Enchanted Clefthoof Leggings w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit (12 Stam gems)
    Feet: Enchanted Clefthoof Boots w/12 Stam enchant (12 Stam gems)
    Ring: Ring of Arcane Shielding
    Ring: Violet Signet of the Great Protector
    Trink: Violet Badge
    Trink: Darkmoon Card: Vengeance
    Weap: Wildfury Greatstaff w/35 Agi enchant

For AR you'll need to farm Primal Mana. There's a lot of craftable stuff for you to get, JCs, Tailors, Enchanters, and LWs will all help you. If you've been through Kara enough times you probably have a Violet Badge which is really handy since it can also be used as a Stam trinket for your other sets. Keep in mind that you need 340 AR, but only 295 of any other resist type.

Fire - 299 FR, 17,854 HP, Uncrittable

Head: Season 2 17 Str/16 Int enchant (18 Stam Meta)
    Neck: Amulet of the Torn Heart
    Back: Gilded Thorium Cloak w/12 Agi enchant
    Chest: Inferno Hardened Chestguard w/150 HP enchant
    Hands: Inferno Hardened Gloves w/8 Stam kit
    Waist: Blastguard Belt (12 Stam gems)
    Legs: Inferno Hardened Leggings w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit
    Feet: Inferno Hardened Boots w/12 Stam enchant
    Ring: Pheonix-fire Band
    Trink: Darkmoon Card: Madness

For FR there is a set of gear available from the Heroic Badge reward vendor. All 4 pieces cost a total of 100 Badges. There's also some blue crafted pieces as an alternative option, the belt can be used with the Badge Rewards. There is a neck that you'll get from the Cipher of Damnation quest chain (also a craftable neck) and the ring comes from the Trials of the Naaru chain (also requires a Magtheridon kill)

Frost - 296 FrR, 15,933 HP. Uncrittable

Head: Lvl 70 Frost Protection green w/20 FrR enchant
    Neck: Pendant of Thawing
    Hands: Lvl 66 Frost Protection blue w/8 FrR kit
    Waist: Lvl 70 Frost Protection green
    Legs: Lvl 68 Frost Protection green w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit
    Feet: Lvl 69 Frost Protection green w/12 Stam enchant
    Ring: Lvl 70 Frost Protection green
    Ring: The Frozen Eye

I found FrR to be the hardest set to build. The S1 shoulders and chest There is a craftable neck and ring, other than that you'll have to scan the AH for high level Frost Protection greens. I try not to use anything below level 67 but sometimes it can be hard to find the right piece. Get the 20 FrR head enchant and use resist kits as needed to hit 295 unbuffed resists while using as few pieces as possible. Some people may go for the Naxx frost resist set, but due to its low stamina I would not recommend it.

Nature - 298 NR, 16,017 HP, Uncrittable

Head: Lvl 70 Nature Protection green w/20 NR enchant
    Neck: Pendant of Withering
    Hands: Lvl 70 Nature Protection green w/8 NR kit
    Waist: Lvl 70 Nature Protection green
    Legs: Lvl 67 Nature Protection green w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit
    Feet: Lvl 67 Nature Protection green w/12 Stam enchant
    Ring: Lvl 70 Nature Protection green
    Ring: The Natural Ward

S1 chest and shoulders, crafted neck and ring, the rest is going to be AH greens. Remember the head enchant and resist kits, try to find the highest level greens/blues as possible. The Eternium Prisons in Netherstorm can drop some nice resist pieces too.

Shadow - 296 SR, 16,184 HP, Uncrittable

Head: Lvl 67 Shadow Protection green w/20 SR enchant
    Neck: Pendant of Shadow's End
    Back: Dark Cloak of Agility (from Eternium Prisons) w/15 SR enchant
    Hands: Lvl 69 Shadow Protection green w/8 Stam kit
    Waist: Lvl 70 Shadow Protection green
    Legs: Lvl 69 Shadow Protection green w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit
    Feet: Lvl 68 Shadow Protection green w/12 Stam enchant
    Ring: Lvl 70 Shadow Protection green
    Ring: Lvl 70 Shadow Protection green

For SR, like FrR and NR you'll be almost completely reliant on AH greens and your S1 shoulders/chest and crafted neck until you're in Hyjal/BT. When you get there you'll need to farm Primal Shadow and Life to get your pieces crafted. Keep in mind there is the 15 SR cloak enchant which will help a great deal.

Hyjal/BT Shadow Set - 300 SR, ~16,700 HP, Uncrittable

Neck: Pendant of Shadows End
    Shoulders: Season 1 w/7 Resists enchant
    Back: Night's End w/15 SR enchant (Void Spheres)
    Hands: Nordrassil Handgrips w/15 Agi enchant
    Waist: Redeemed Soul Cinch
    Legs: Redeemed Soul Legguards w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit
    Feet: Redeemed Soul Mocassins w/8 SR kit
    Ring: A'dal's Signet of Defense
    Weap: Pillar of Ferocity w/35 Agi enchant

Hydross Add Tanking - 127 NR/134 FrR, 16,353 HP, Uncrittable

Neck: Pendant of Withering
    Hands: Hands: Lvl 66 Frost Protection blue w/8 FrR kit
    Waist: Belt of Natural Power (4 Agi 6 Stam gems)
    Legs: Lvl 68 Frost Protection green w/40 Stam 12 Agi kit
    Feet: Lvl 67 Nature Protection green w/12 Stam enchant
    Ring: The Frozen Eye
    Ring: The Natural Ward

The S1 Chest/Shoulders are especially nice for this since they are adding to both resist types you need. With them I use the Natural Ward and Frozen Eye with my Frost legs/gloves and Nature neck/boots. I also use Stam trinkets and the rest would just be normal tanking gear. With a Hunter and a Pally in the group this is about 200/200 resists with plenty of HP and uncrittable to boot. If you want more than 200/200 buffed you could switch out your bracers and belt for a nature and a frost piece.

For us, every Hydross kill has had a druid MTing the frost side. He takes a little more damage than I do, but we've rarely had problems losing the MT in this fight. It makes the pull easy as well :-)

We use a druid on the nature side pretty much always, just because he was the first to have a good set of NR gear. We have had warriors, druids, and pallies in all three tanking positions of this fight and had it go just fine.

Really, this fight is not about the tanks, it's all about everybody else keeping under control. We recently had a very embarrassing night when we wiped a few times on Hydross going back for a Vashj vial run. Why did we wipe? Because people had gotten used to being able to be a bit sloppy because of overgearing content—and this is one fight in which overgearing does nothing at all to help you, and being sloppy will do pretty much everything to kill you.

If you put together the best set of gear you can find that meets your resist and defense/resilience requirements, everything should be fine.

+ Reply to Thread