Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Generating "The Threat"

Ahh ok.. Sry I missed that part while reading and the WWS was gone so I couldn't check against it.

Since people seemed to get a kick out of the gimmick logs earlier in the thread, here's something you might like:

Xavastrasz - WWS

Battle time in seconds: 215

Heroic Strike:
    Amount: 151011 Hits: 95 Crits: 56 Dmg Threat: 225761.445 Skill Threat: 49663.9
    Shield slam:
    Amount: 27190 Hits: 19 Crits: 9 Dmg Threat: 40649.05 Skill Threat: 12851.02
    Melee:
    Amount: 3137 Hits: 3 Crits: 2 Dmg Threat: 4689.815 Skill Threat: 0
    Revenge:
    Amount: 21706 Hits: 16 Crits: 15 Dmg Threat: 32450.47 Skill Threat: 9315.345
    Devastate:
    Amount: 46300 Hits: 33 Crits: 28 Dmg Threat: 69218.5 Skill Threat: 9210.695
    Shield Bash:
    Amount: Hits: Crits: Dmg Threat: 0 Skill Threat: 0
    Cleave:
    Thunder Clap:
    Reflect:
    Amount: 7938 Hits: 163 Crits: Dmg Threat: 11867.31 Skill Threat: 0
    Vengeance:
    Thunderfury:
    Deep Wound:
    Lifebloom:
    Amount: 7211 Overheal: 40% Threat: 4326.6
    Earthshield:
    Amount: 40971 Overheal: 21% Threat: 32367.09
    Prayer of Mending:
    Amount: Overheal: % Threat: 0

Total amount of dmg threat: 384636.59
    Total amount of skill threat: 81040.96
    Total amount of healing threat: 20510.145

TPS: 2261.3381162791

Much later edit: Top threat parses of Gorefiend: Coolyo[dot]org
    Last edited by Xav; 07-04-2008 at 12:11 AM.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

I've got a question about rotation.

Say you've done SS, rev, dev, and have only just enough rage to do another dev.

Do you do the dev, or leave that time slot vacant in the hope that you'll have a bit more rage for SS when it is available in 1.5s time?

If in 1.5s time you still don't have the rage for SS, do you dev, or wait again?

Thanks.

-- gyre --

The likelihood that you will not have enough rage to do what you said is very slim. (Auto attacking provides enough rage to sustain the basic rotation without heroic strike for a while, unless you get very unlucky). But if it does occur, I'd do a devastate. 1.5 seconds later when shield slam is up, you MAY have gotten hit and earned enough rage to continue as normal. If you didn't, oh well, simply bad luck and threat will dwindle. Attempt to save bloodrage for when your rage drops to a lower point so you wont have to wait.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

Thanks Xav.

-- gyre --

OK, another very similar question.

Say you've done SS, rev, dev, dev. It is now time for a SS but you don't have enough rage for a SS, but you DO have enough rage for a dev.

Do you do the dev in the case that:

a) you don't have 5 sunders yet on the target.
    b) you already have 5 sunders on the target.

I'm guessing (a) is true, and (b) is false. What do you think?

-- gyre --

Rev-5.0
    Dev-3.5
    Dev-2.0
    .....-0.5
    Revenge
    Shield Slam

In a sentence form, your best choice would most likely be to wait a half second (this may be even less, due to latency) and do a revenge, then shield slam after.

In the event you don't have 5 sunders up, absolutely choose a devastate first.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

Thanks again Xav. Makes sense to me

-- gyre --

Curious how TC and Demo shout would factor in here? I am guessing only keep them up if threat is not an issue?

I specced into improved demo and TC after reading fortifications and have been trying to keep both up when possible. (not on trash for that I am trying to use TC to get SOME initial threat on as much as possible)

I tend to have a tough time keeping aggro on trash pulls although I think part of that is hunters using multi-shot and rogues bladefurry, the healers heal the offender thus pulling agro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dall View Post
    Curious how TC and Demo shout would factor in here? I am guessing only keep them up if threat is not an issue?

I specced into improved demo and TC after reading fortifications and have been trying to keep both up when possible. (not on trash for that I am trying to use TC to get SOME initial threat on as much as possible)

I tend to have a tough time keeping aggro on trash pulls although I think part of that is hunters using multi-shot and rogues bladefurry, the healers heal the offender thus pulling agro.
    Have your DPS Warrior keep them up. Make sure your DPS Warrior has them talented as well.

very good information

I really like your GUI setup and would like to know the exact mods you use.
    I have been looking for a long time for a good setup.

thanks,

I've really been trying to improve my attack rotation by trying to focus on the Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate, Devastate cycle. Reading this article mentions shooting for 25%-50%-25% with Shield Slam, Devastates, and Revenge attacks. Checking WWS reports shows that my Shield Slams are about where they need to be in relation to Devastates, but my Revenge usage is always really low. When I tank, I try to use Shield Slam and Revenge whenever it's available, but quite often I don't see Revenge coming up nearly enough. Any suggestions?

Mornak's Armory, 12/5/44 spec
    Last edited by Mornak; 04-18-2008 at 11:21 AM.

That's strange because if you're putting up Shield Block every cd, any non-avoided attack will be a block which will light up revenge.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

That's how I thought it worked. But I sure don't see Revenge available as often as I think it should be.

really like the post very informative

A little ideea

I have found that using both key-binds and mouse for generating threat make it very easy to get a very decent tps value .

The ideea is very simple:
    When you have enough rage you need to keep both heroic strike always up and do the normal devastate,devatate,revenge,shield slam sequence.
    You also need to keep pushing shield block buton.

You can do this by using mouse to press devastate,devastate,revenge,shield slam and keys to keep pushing shield block and heroic strike.

With the gear you see equiped on me - with little modifications -I was geting easy this way up to over 1.2k tps sustained with WF totem.
    This was before patch - that times I had warbringer as weapon, S1 chest as tanking tps chest,brooch of deftness instead of exalted SSO neck and Shield of Impenetrable Darkness instead of what I am wearing atm.

(after patch omen does not display for me anything...)

The ideea behind this is that you will find quite hard to use 2 fingers to keep pressing 2 keys all the time while with other 3 fingers you use devastate,shield slam,revenge.
    When I started tanking I was useing key-binding for tanking - but my tps was not so great.
    Atm I am useing both mouse and keys and is much better.

This is most usefull for raid bosses - where you do not need to move so much and you need to focus to do best tps you can.

I must respectfully disagree with you. I find it quite simple to retain a ss-rev-dev-dev cycle with one hand, even while keeping heroic strike constantly queued up. It's a very rapid button mashing, for sure, but it prevents me from having to click abilities. I need my mouse to move around and pan the camera to see what's going on. I do not recommend using your mouse to click any basic, oft-used ability.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

==Xav

There are too many fights these days where speedy movement is really key. Sure, I can imagine settling down into a nice f-q-r-r rotation (yeah, I use weird keys) on Supremus, say, once I have solid aggro—but I need all of those abilities to get solid aggro in the first place, while I'm moving.

As an alternative, I suggest thinking about what keys to use for tanking abilities, and what fingers will be used for them. I use f-q-r-r for SS-Rev-Dev-Dev. Why? Because my index finger is absolutely dedicated to f and r (SS and Dev). My middle finger moves between e (heroic strike) and 3 (shield block), as appropriate, and is also the finger that goes for 4 (taunt/mocking blow) when I need it. My ring finger is used for q (revenge), but also for ~ (demo shout), 1 (thunderclap), and 2 (shield bash) when needed.

There are some other ancillary things around, but the key thing here is that I don't use key positions that require me to stretch very far, or to use multiple keys that are very close together at the same time. r and f for Dev and SS are the closest, and because I don't do anything else with that finger, it's just a shift up and down, which is nearly the smallest movement possible on a keyboard.

In short: Yeah, you can use a mouse for that. But it's not a great idea. Better is to place your abilities in reasonable places on your keyboard. Make your keyboard conform to how you'd like to play, rather than playing in the way your keyboard seems to demand. (Because honestly? The keyboard does not care which keys you're pressing.)

I don't know what ==Xav means, but I'm assuming your post wasn't directed at me, because I don't click anything.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

Well not all can do same

For me is quite strange to use mouse for moveing.
    I guess some ppl can tank useing mouse for moveing and keyboard for all tanking abilities other use mouse for clicking and keyboard for moveing etc.

I tryed to use keyboard only for tanking but I can't press buttons at a decent rate.Not to mention that I am pressing butons anarhic.

I mean for me is quite hard to keep push 2 buttons - the one for shield block and heroic strike and use the other 3 abilities in a right way.

If I am pressing with mouse I do not have any problems to move and do nice tps.
    No ideea why some are saying that you can not have success pressing abilities with mouse.
    I mean assuming that all are same is not quite true - everyone should try and see what style is best for him.