Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Generating "The Threat"

48.7% avoidance (dodge/parry/miss) and 77.1% combined...wasn't thinking right...sorry
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

awesome m8, just started a tank and this post was pure gold tbh, keep it up!

Hi, i don't know where to ask this, so i posted this here. I have a druid lvl 70 and i find it hard to hold aggro. I've tried all sorts of rotation with mangle, maul lacx5 and repeat or maul, mangle lacx3 mangle lacx3 or mangle lacx5, maul mangle lacx5. But i still can't hold the mob to myself. What is wrong here ? And how do i tank multiple mobs ? All i do is mangle and lacx1 on skull, then lac2x on X, then probably mangle the 3rd mob then back to skull to keep on lac-ing. Is that right ? Can anyone enlighten me ?

I don't really know much about druids, but you may want to try asking in the druid sticky: http://www.tankspot.com/forums/tanks...de-druids.html
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Hey Xav i want to thank you for the post u wrote . It helped me a lot, my tank is t5 quality and is entering mh and bt. I want to ask u a question- U say the best rotation is SS/Rev/dev/dev. I agree but what if i dont dodge/block or parry in the beggining of the fight and cant cast my Rev?

Ty
    Last edited by Atuan; 09-03-2008 at 03:05 PM.

Mongoose vs Executioner

WHY is executioner a better "threat weapon?"....I've been wondering this for ages, but doesn't agility(120 from mongoose + attack speed increase) increase crit, which increases rage and threat?...Seems like the 4-5% crit from mongoose proc would outway the threat gained from armor ignore...Plus the added avoidance doesn't hurt at all....Anyone have some figures on Executioner vs. Mongoose for THREAT?

This was parsed by EJ a long time ago and Ignore armor benefits higher threat gains than mongoose entirely. the attack speed increase is 2% on a 1.6 speed tanking weapon that makes it a whopping 1.568 speed. The agility sure boosts our crit, but ignoring an opponents armor scales faster than crit does, especially post sunder and proc'ing it gives ALL of our attacks, including crits during the duration to hit for 840 less armor mitigation, that's a good 2-3% mitigation removal right there. If you're gonna argue about threat you can't toss in the avoidance issue, yes goose is better for avoidance, there's no arguing that, but executioner likewise is better for threat.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Awsome job!!!

I have to said it, this post was realy helpfull, we kill for the first time Illidan 3 weeks ago and its a bit because of your post. Quick question do you use your starting ss macro in all fight or you swich whit the reg ss agains high dps boss like mother.

Ty

Ashwill
    Prot war
    dominance

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    This was parsed by EJ a long time ago and Ignore armor benefits higher threat gains than mongoose entirely. the attack speed increase is 2% on a 1.6 speed tanking weapon that makes it a whopping 1.568 speed. The agility sure boosts our crit, but ignoring an opponents armor scales faster than crit does, especially post sunder and proc'ing it gives ALL of our attacks, including crits during the duration to hit for 840 less armor mitigation, that's a good 2-3% mitigation removal right there. If you're gonna argue about threat you can't toss in the avoidance issue, yes goose is better for avoidance, there's no arguing that, but executioner likewise is better for threat.

Happen to have a link to that? I'd like to see the numbers.

I found this thread very helpful Xav, and you have convinced me to drop all my "tanking" macros in the hopeful goal to achieve better threat/rage via tighter rotations and more controlled rage management. I know quite a few of you who are more experienced (ie Satrina) do not use tanking macros either, and I've no doubt you all know more than I. So thanks for pointing out exactly why it is not a good idea to use tanking macros (excluding non-combat, pvp, fear dance). Much appreciated.

Now I just need to find/create a thread so I can figure out exactly what addons I can use that are most beneficial for tanking only.

I recently downloaded Fame's UI package and found it to be way to much stuff for me to understand how it's use would help. I did pick apart the folder and found some addons I liked more than others. But things like Fubar and some others didn't seem helpful, or I just had no idea what to do with it. Do I need raid bars as a tank (ie Pitbull)?
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

Raid bars as a tank, absolutely. You can check out my UI and see if it's more your style. It's in the ui forum also.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

The threat boost you get from an executioner proc is higher than mongoose but mongoose is vastly superior for a tank overall due to the mitigation it gives.

Quote Originally Posted by bludwork View Post
    The threat boost you get from an executioner proc is higher than mongoose but mongoose is vastly superior for a tank overall due to the mitigation it gives.
    So it sounds like, in conclusion, executioner should be put on your 2nd best tank weapon for clearing through trash faster. That is assuming the trash doesn't crit or hurt you that bad. For this as well, some boss fights like Voidreaver make it a good switch-to-weapon for more threat when he is focusing on another tank target I believe.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

Xav, thank you so much for creating this thread. While I was learning how to tank, and still just getting my confidence up,(My record back then for tanking was MT with 2 wipes :P) this really taught me how to do decent TPS. Thanks to this thread, and also other threads, I greatly improved my tanking. I also switched my Strafes to the A/D to use Q/E For my Shield Slam/Revenge. As I said at the start, thank you for this post :P
    Currently failing at buying an epic flyer..

Ah, bookmarked this thread, will digest a little later Looks like there's exactly what I need in here!

...I'm going to want to see what is made of the new talent trees, though - evil, evil Shield Block nerf! Any ideas on an ETA for such an analysis?

Krystelle

Eh, this thread is far less relevant now with the 3.0 changes, I'm not sure if I'll ever review it. Most if it still applies, anyway, since it's methodology / player skill things and not specific to talents, etc.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz

very helpful. thanks.

Not to be a party pooper but XAV's guide is really, really out of date. I wonder if it might be better to just remove it since it is no longer being updated.

while the gear, and even maybe the rotation might be off from the new ideal rotations for threat, a lot of what he discusses, especially keybinding, communication, and such, are all very valid, so removing the guide although outdated, would be a detriment to players who want to improve themselves.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Using Glyph of Revenge (http://www.wowwiki.com/Glyph_of_Revenge) your next HS will be on free.
    So, this means that we will modify a little our rotation, right?
    Ah, assuming that there is a ONE MOB fight! If it is a multi-mob fight, then Thunder Clap as soon as available. I am a beginner, 68 lvl, so fighting multi-mobs can be a challenge
    Last edited by ioask4it; 04-07-2010 at 01:39 AM.