+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear rating question...

Gear rating question...

what is the meaning of the rating in parenthesis like [item]Shermanar Great-Ring[/item] ? Is that percentage increase at 70? I've never understood that.

It means that for a Lvl70 you will get 9.72 defense skill from the item. (at lvl 71 this number will go down, same for 72 and so forth)

Ratings were avoid over-scaling items before TBC a fury war could have nearly 50% Crit from different sources. So in order to avoid to create gear with too much + crit they introduced ratings.

Combat rating system - WoWWiki

Hope this will makes it more clear for you

I didn't realize that the item skill rating went down as a player's level goes up.

Really doesn't seem to make sense on an item that has a lvl 70 req though, why it wouldn't give the full rating of 23 at it's required level and less when WotLK comes out and you got above it.

Everything is done in ratings, 23 defense on a ring is overpowered, 9.72 defense on a ring isn't, when you hit lvl 80 the defense on your old gear will not translate into the same amount. This is less critical on a stat like defense, but think about critical strike and what new gear without the rating system would be like.

Oh, I understand the rating system, but it doesn't make any sense on an item that the required level to equip is also the scaled amount. When would it be the full 23 rating, and what's the point of listing it because you can't equip it until 70? It just seems really silly on an item like this why wouldn't they just say "increase defense skill by 9.72" because that's all you would ever receive from it. Know what I mean?

because if it was 9.72 it would STILL be 9.72 @ L80, they want to avoid that.

Maybe that 23 rating will be more like 4.23 @ L80 (just trowing numbers out of the window).

+ Reply to Thread