Thread: Solarian "tanks"

Solarian "tanks"

So, if VR falls quick we are hoping to go see Solarian for the first time. As a guild we dislike swopping people in and out for fights, so are likely to his Solarian with four tanks - mixture of druid and prot warriors.

Now from everything I've read she needs a small degree of tanking - so I was thinking prot warrior in high agro gear for her. Then the two elite healers she summons - one tank each - now I'm guessing they really don't need to be in tank gear - but is full dps gear but sword and board going to be alright?

Also, for the druids (and for future reference) is tanking in kitty gear ok for the healers and/or for Solarian?

As always, many thanks for any help or advice.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

We stopped tanking the priests on Solarian, we just zerg them down. They hit for jack all, anyone can tank them. The priority is interrupting both.

And yeah, a tank in threat gear on Solarian is fine.

She does do physical damage, but its only like 6kish on plate dps gear, and iirc she stops doing this when she is actually "tanked" in her voidwalker phase. The fight could be done without any tank truthfully, but aoe tnaking the non elite adds help, and def tanking her in voidwalker phase as well

The way of "tanking solarian" is spamming taunt.

The priests.... i'm not sure we ever tanked them, they didn't really get out of the stun...
    Worlde - Prot Paladin
    Darkworldie - Tank DW Frost DK
    Uord - Prot Warrior
    Huordie - Feral / Resto Druid

Many thanks for the advice - after a messy (as always) trash run to VR and a flawless (well, I think two people died) VR kill, we headed over to Solarian. My tank team did an awesome job aoe-tanking (who needs pallys to tank) and the trash even dropped the tank ring

Try One: We called a wipe at about 70% - mainly as we'd forgotten to enable announce on dbm - so a Wrath blew up most of the ranged.

Try Two: Pretty much flawless kill - think we lost our holy priest (too squishy) but that was it.

Must say it's a painful fight to "tank" - never felt more useless in my life. But the mages and locks enjoyed themselves.

Thanks again.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

We've never used any tanks since they changed the fight. No taunt spam either, never even heard of that personally. She rarely melees and when she does she won't kill rogues/dps warriors anyway. Priests I haven't even noticed doing any real damage to me ever when I'm wearing my fury gear. We just have fury warriors/rogues run up and interrupt and burn them down.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

I would prefere tanking her.
    My main char is a mage and in pve gear i donīt survive a 9k crushing blow of her ^_^.
    And the dps of a def warri in off gear isnt that good anyway.

Well ideally you don't have a mage dpsing in melee range of the boss. And yes, the dps of a prot warrior in fury gear is actually quite good compared to one in tank gear. I was at 997 dps last night on Shade (melee friendly ftw) as full prot.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

Our guild does it with 4 tanks, 1 pally for the adds and 3 others to watch each portal and help with interrupts.

Remember that warriors and druids are valuable if the pally tank dies for any reason, as they can provide some degree of control to the adds, and they can buff the groups.

In a fight where you are not running against a clock or against OOM, there is no reason to sacrifice security and control in favor of a faster fight.

she's so easy it doesn't really matter which strat you use. Normally I "tank" her like I tank anything else. She spends most of her time spamming missiles with the occasional melee thrown in. Taunt spamming is not necessary but the time she turns to void I'm high on her melee aggro table already.

We normally swap out some tanks for solarian but it can be done with more.

Tried and killed her last night and can basically be zerged. Just make sure that you focus heal whoever she is targeting; stop the priests from healing; and don't blow anyone in your raid up.

The only benefit from tanking her seems to be that she says largely stationary and sticks to you in phase 2.