+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new tank at 70

new tank at 70

Ok so I have never really tanked before. So the question is how does one go about getting the experience to be a good tank when at 70? The obvious answer is join groups and tank. Well I tried that and after the couple wipes folks split. That was in Mana Tombs. Yes I was embarrassed. But we all gotta start someplace. Part of the prblem is holding aggro which it would appear has a lot to do with gear. I currently wear some felsteel stuff and have the gladiator sheild and shoulders. Yes it is from the pvp bgs and yes I know that there is better tanking sets out there. But it appears that the bg gear is the fastest way to build up the armor and health needed to survive in the instances at 70. Or is it?

What set is best to get to start tanking and where does it come from?

How did folks here learn to be good tanks?

Do some SP and UB first. Find a group that's on level so you don't have to worry about cranking out threat as much. Take a step down and run those ones 3-4 times til you're comfortable. Then start stepping it up. Whichever of those Auch instances has the summoners at the front door is a pita no matter what.

The only way to learn to tank is by doing it. I used to think I could never tank cause anytime I tried, it didn't go very well. In a previous guild I was in, there was very little support or encouragement. I had questions and wanted to learn, but there was nobody to ask for tips. I finally started reading online and following suggestions and tips. Warriors in my current guild offered help and gave me chances to learn. I feel I'm finally getting the hang of it. The guild I was in wasn't an end game progression guild, but I was rolling as MT in Karazhan clears and really enjoying it. I just changed guilds due to a dissolve, and I'm anxious to see more game content.
    Last edited by Mornak; 01-15-2008 at 09:47 AM.

Take a look at http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gea...gear-list.html

It essentially lists all the best gear you can get without needing to run instances (or with only running it once to get a quest reward). Start with the outdoor quest lines (Weapon from Shadowmoon Valley springs to mind), and you'll get experience tanking single mobs and upgrades to boot.

If you think your gear is good enough for tanking already, and you just don't have the skill, then the first big thing you can do is have someone else mark for you as you learn the basics. Try to have 2 CC classes to start so you only have to tank one or two things at a time.

Post your armory link so we can see how you've spent your talents. If you don't have Defiance, you need to get it ASAP.

Get a Threat Meter. I use Omen. This lets you see how much threat you're generating, and where everyone else is on the aggro list.
    Learn what skills have the most threat. A typical tank pull:
    Pull with a ranged weapon.
    As soon as you're in combat, hit Bloodrage and turn on auto-attack.
    As soon as you can, Shield Slam. Start spamming devastate until Shield Slam is up again. Taunt if you lose aggro (use the Show Target of Target).
    Once you've gotten 2 or 3 Devastates on the mob, go into your Threat Rotation (Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate, Devastate). Don't bother shield blocking against trash unless it's a doozy.
    Replace a Devastate with a shout as needed.
    If you go above 40-50 rage, throw in a heroic strike.

If someone's pulling aggro off of you before you get your first shield slam off, it's usually their fault. Don't let them blame you, tell them to wait until they see a Sunder (or better yet, use a threat meter add-on).

thanks and a little more info on my stuff

I spent all my talents in the Protection line. frome what I have read that may be not quite right. And Uhhh I am 44 and haven't a clue how to link to the armory so you can see what I use for gear right now.

Thanks to all that have replied and the advice. I will follow it.

If I respect to use some of the talents in the other trees seems like Cruelty would be a good choice as well as Parry.

Does anyone just have the Protction line maxed out or is that just a crazy thing to do?

Thanks again for all the help

Spending all your points in protection is pretty crazy, yes A lot of the talents are just worthless as a tank (or not worth the investment): if you're only tanking, Tactical Mastery doesn't need any points. Improved Disarm is pretty worthless. Improved Shield Bash is only good when you're pvping with a shield.

You should at minimum have Cruelty for threat, and Deflection for avoidance/threat. On top of that, as a new tank gearing up I recommend Improved Thunderclap. Some of the other talents are up to you (improving your shouts, making Heroic Strike cheaper, decreasing your spell damage taken in defensive stance, decreasing the cooldown on your taunt if your threat isn't that great).

To link your armory, go to The World of Warcraft Armory, search for your character name at the top, click on your character, and copy the address at the top and paste it into the message.

If you're having trouble, you could always just tell us your character's name and what realm you're on, and we can look it up ourselves.

When you said that the groups went badly, it's often good to consider WHY it went bad. Was it because you were dying too fast? Was it because your crowd control wasn't good enough? Was it because your DPS/Healer were pulling threat too much on your main target? Was it because you had to tank two creatures and the healer pulled threat on your off-target?

Analyzing these sorts of things will help you a lot in the long run; it gives you something to focus on. If you died too fast, either you had a bad healer or you just don't have enough armor/hp. If your DPS was pulling threat and you were dying, it's because your threat generation is sub-par. Sometimes, it's not your fault, but when it is, you should know it, and knowing is half the battle! (G.I.Joooooooe!)

ebs your rotation is a bit. . . weird. Why sunder to three and THEN start your SS, rev rotations? You should be Rev and SS EVERY TIME you can. Not just everytime you can after 3 sunders. Only reason to use devastate or SA is if you can't Rev or SS yet.

+ Reply to Thread