+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing up before going through the Portal.

Gearing up before going through the Portal.

I'm sure this probably doesn't cross a lot of people's minds anymore, but it's a passive concern of mine: I'd like to have a decent tanking set before stepping through the Dark Portal. I know on the surface it's rather assinine since you can replace the whole of your gear with the first ten quests or so, but I'm worried about reputation.

For my Warrior I have Engineering and Blacksmithing, and I'd like to optimize my rep gain for some of the plans and rewards from quite a few factions. (It would be absolutely mind-numbing to hit Exalted with Thrallmar for that Fel-Steel Spike without a plan.) Heroic keys aren't as big a factor anymore with 2.3, but a little bit always help.

Thottbot hasn't been my friend with this search for optimum gear. It seems that most of the gear is difficultly aquired, everything that I seem to find is either crafted with mats that Post-TBC can hardly be found. From: Enchanted Throium, The Darksoul, even The Deathbone Guardian. Those happen to be sets, but finding gear with Defense Rating and the like isn't easy.

I'd like to hear any ideas and input.

Kaliban's Class Loot Lists might have some pre BC tank gear listed for warriors.

I don't imagine it would be easy to get any pre-BC tanking gear. Unless you can have a level 70 guildie or guildies to run you through instances (mostly Scholo for the Deathbone stuff), you pretty much won't be able to get instance pieces, and as you said crafting the gear will be hard too. When I went to Outland, I swapped some of my pre-BC tanking gear for new gear with much higher stam/armour. I went from about 5k unbuffed to just shy of 7k before running Ramparts and I really appreciated the extra health when it came to the last boss. Obviously this was when everyone was a newb as BC had just come out, but it really did make a difference, despite going from about 390 def to 350ish. I will admit that I never fully understood why +def was so important at level 60 because I rarely tanked more than adds in MC and being crit by MC mobs did not cause a wipe like it can now at 70.

Your best bet would be to pick up greens "of the Champion" if you don't want to do quests. You can however do a quest for [item]Flintlocke's Piloting Pants[/item] because it is given by goblins and does not give Thrallmar rep. The questgiver is located next to a crashed zeppelin south west of Honor Hold if you haven't already done it. [item]Underworld Helm[/item] would be another good one that you can get from a neutral quest line that starts outside the mine just north of Thrallmar. No +def, but 42 stamina is huge.
    Last edited by Arrivan; 01-15-2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it. I had very little gear of any note before coming through as I was a re-roll. The Hellfire quests provide plenty of stam heavy kit (as Arrivan said, your HP just shoots up 60-62) that will work perfectly well as tanking gear through Ramparts, Slave Pens and Underbog. The mobs just hit like girls in those normal instances.

Yea, don't sweat it. Not only will it get replaced first day but it will get blown out of the water. Besdies, til you get that new gear you won't be ready to tank those instances anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Leytur View Post
    Besdies, til you get that new gear you won't be ready to tank those instances anyway.
    QFT. Leytur just said in one sentence what took me a whole paragraph. There were many points during my first Ramparts run where I would have died if not for my extra 2k health and however much armour. I'll reiterate that if you really want tank gear, get greens "of the Champion". They'll be much better than anything you can get from pre-BC instances (hell, some pieces are better than T1).
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

There is a huge jump in item level from non-bc items to bc items. Don't bother farming anything in the old lands as the first zone is designed to buff up massively and give you a new set of gear.

I don't think you need anything special to tank of of the pre-70 5 mans though especially if you are prot. Just collect the stam plate gear from the quests.

Also you'll have the rep for heroics well before the gear to do it likely no matter what you do.
    Last edited by Bonerot; 01-15-2008 at 05:29 AM.

If you really dont want to do any quests after hitting outlands until you hit level 70 then your best friend may well be the Auction House.

It really is not worth the time to try. Anything that is worth keeping in Outlands is too difficult to get -- either through long quests or difficult drops. (And anything raid-related is of course right out.)
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

But steel yourself, as at some point you will be astounded by the sheer number of Pally plate quest rewards in comparison to ours. I whined in /g to the point of caps and mild swearing.

Have fun!

I say don't sweat it. Go thru and own. if you need gear before Outlands, look for anything "of the champion" or "of the bear". That should give you enough tankpoints to be effective, plus the initial quests in Hellfire will also give you weapons and trinkets. Indeed the armor is for pallys.
    Don't like my tanking? Call 1-800-EAT-FIST

I'm sorry, I may not have specified earlier. Typically the most efficient way to grind rep with the factions is to run the instances and PvP in their zones, without touching quests. Thrallmar for instance, I would need to run Ramparts and Blood Furnace quite a few times to max out my rep, and the like. For the process I'm talking about, check here:

Thrallmar - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

That's the reason I'm worried about the gear at first, because I won't be touching the quests for a bit. There are a few specific ones, mostly Falcon Watch quests, that don't tie to Thrallmar rep, but I don't want to do the ones that do early on.

Time to go back to Thottbot and check out quest rewards!
    Last edited by Tryxx; 01-15-2008 at 08:31 AM.

OK, if you want to avoid quests all together. and just gear up for starter instances, you will probably have to just grind levels till you can wear the fel iron set. That set (with a few other of the champion pieces) will give you enough gear to tank ramparts. Bonus, the fel iron set is incredibly cheap to have made. any BS grinding between 305 and 350 will be making these pieces and most of them will be getting vendored Although i dont see the point of completely avoiding Quests. The increase in rep efficiency will more than be offset by the inability to function properly by not following the quest gear progession that blizz has set up for Outlands. The quest gear is just too good to pass up. And to be honest, the engineering toys you will be grinding for are not worth being undergeared.
    Last edited by mattdeeze; 01-15-2008 at 09:45 AM.

Yay. This is exactly the information I was looking for as well. Just to clarify, as long as you have enough stam you don't need to worry about +def to do the non-heroics as long as you are level-appropriate and making some effort with the gear?

If you don't want to grind all the way to wear that set... you might just take the middle ground. I would advise against grinding all that way, because when you think about it, that time would probably be better spent on the other end of the rep grind [ie lvl 70 sh or heroics] because then you'll be getting cold hard cash and gear. This should be even easier as a warrior, because [at least on my server] there are never enough, and I've run sh groups at level 68 because groups are desperate.

I suggest you pick 5 or 6 pieces of gear you think would be the biggest improvement over your current gear [for example: weapon, legs, helm, shield, and the best chest I know of is the ramps quest one anyway], and just do THOSE quests. You would have the gear to instance-grind the rest of the rep, and you would still have a good deal of quests to do. It would sort of be a waste of rep, but there are a surfeit of hellfire peninsula quests as it is... besides that, I did absolutely NO thinking about hh rep [I'm alliance] in OL, and I ended up with 4k away from revered never completing a sh run [so basically just a few ramps and bf runs earlier, and the regular quests]. If you also had the rest of the hellfire quests, you would be well into revered before you ran out and had to grind sh/heroics.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Otapi View Post
    But steel yourself, as at some point you will be astounded by the sheer number of Pally plate quest rewards in comparison to ours. I whined in /g to the point of caps and mild swearing.

Have fun!
    Yeah i was quite annoyed by that as well, I even made a ticket/complaint about it in the TBC beta but nothing was done about it. I guess they anticipated all the draenei and blood elf paladins.

1) Buy the "of the champion" plate gear at the AH or send your warrior the ones you find yourselves with your other chars like I did

2) Do the quests that don't give any rep.

3) You're a blacksmith, there are a couple plate items you can craft from the early BC stuff.

4) Turn-in plants for Cenarion rep in Zangar until you are Honored. Then you can quest in Zangarmarsh without wasting the rep you receive (I did that for all my characters). The mobs are a bit harder, but that gives you something to do between Ramp/BF runs.

+ Reply to Thread