+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What do you watch while tanking?

What do you watch while tanking?

I'm posting this in the raid forum since this is really a raid tanking question for both tanks & RLs.

What do you want your tanks paying attention to while tanking bosses? I think I'm finding that out of habit and nervousness that I'm probably trying to pay attention to too many things at once while tanking and my tps isn't as good as it could be.

Should I be watching my health? I find myself doing that like a hawk on new bosses which means my tps is down to 700ish. I'm also keeping an eye on the agro chart.

Should I ignore that and just pay attention to my buffs/debufs and rotation?

Who talks during your raids and what are they responsible for watching?

I tend to flick back and forth between 1. rotation, 2. health, 3, threat, 4. Any adds or movemnt that the boss requires, 5. self buffs

- also note certain bosses require attention to debuffs (like prince 2 sunders)

if you don't need to do anything but sit there and tank, just make sure your ability rotation is solid, watch your hp and any debuffs you may need to look out for. let the raid leader/individual dps-ers worry about other things, especially over-aggro. if u can steal a glance at those things go for it, but if you're not comfortable with watching too many things yet don't force yourself to.

yeah this is specifically in addition to the movement/adds etc. I'm tanking ZA for progression now and tank GL & Kara on farm.

I think my healers would like me to shut up about healing me and it's really on progression fights that I start to worry I'm about to die and somehow by paying more attention to my health bar and asking for heals will prevent that. Certainly my wife would like to hear less about my healing needs (she's one of our best geared healers who hears even more then what I say on TS).

yeah, trust me healers hate hearing "omg heal the tank". chances are by the time you're yelling that, if they aren't already healing you you're going to die anyway. of course, every tank has the primal urge to scream this when they get low, so don't be ashamed of letting a few slip out.

pop cooldowns when you feel you need to and let healers know when things like last stand/shield wall are up / going to expire. otherwise let the healers do their job and yell at them after you die.

I don't watch anything for my rotation, it's kind of built into my fingers. I use a HUD so my health and rage are right there in the middle of my screen. I use NECB which flashes when thunderclap and demo shout need to be refreshed. You really should be able to just look at the middle of your screen the whole time, or else you're probably making things harder than they can be.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

LOL I watch T.V.
    The answer is user error

In all honesty, I don't watch my health. I glance at it out of the corner of my eye..if it looks bad..I pop what I can. But I've gone down with a healthstone sitting there and don't bitch me out...I got other things to do..and If I miss one damn Heathstone once and awhile..bah..

This is because when I learned to tank, I had this awsome healer who said..stop telling me to heal..that's my job. I don't tell you to HS. I stopped getting over involved in my health.

Rotation-tps-whatever else is my order.

I'll watch my health somewhat...I have my target and target's target window moved to the middle of my screen so I can easily watch mob health, my health, and rage level. Scrolling combat text to monitor heals. Mob debuffs have a counter on them so I know when to refresh.

I generally raid lead, so I'll be watching the raid windows, calling big abilities that are coming up, encouraging folks, and calling battle rezzes or solutions to other problems. Gets busy sometimes but it keeps me entertained.

Everything all at once, i have 6 eyes 4 ears and 3 nostrils. I also have an underbite.

Every situation is different in how I approach it and what I'll watch for, but I don't even glance at my health, helps my wife is one of our healers and calls out when they're silenced, etc. Mainly focus on postioning of melee, rotation, glancing at omen and listen to some good tanking music while I spam keys on my keyboard. If your finding your doing to much deligate authority/responsiblity to others so you can focus on tanking.

I've got MetaHUD, so that really helps me check on my health and rage bars to use health pots/pop CDs or spam Heroic Strike as needed.

Just like maddfez, I also shout out abilities and all when needed as I'm the Raid Leader--but only when the Assistant doesn't do that. I usually let the raid know when I've used SW/LS or ran out of pots.
    I've got more plate than your grandma's cupboard.

I focus mostly on my rotation/threat. SCT pops up with a warning and an audible when my health hits below a certain threshold (40% HP), and then I watch my health a little bit as well.

It also works that my debuff bars (from quartz) are right where my rotation buttons are, and omen's right next to it - so I don't have to move my eyes too much for a tank-and-spank.

On something like RoS phase 3, I go between my rage bar and rotation. Illidan Phase 2, I focus more on my position, glance at my bar to see which 2-3 moves to do next, then check my position.

In order of priority.
    1. Quartz GCD
      • - Read up on how to set it up with a quick google search if you don't know how to set this up.
      • - Expand the height of it to make it more noticable.
    2. Rage bar
      • - Dump rage at 50+ rage
    3. Omen.
      • - On threat sensitive fights you can see how much buffer you have
      • - You can get a TPS ego trip during your TPS spikes (ex. while HS dumping)

I never look at my HP till I get the audio notification of Low HP.
    Then I take a quick look and decide if I should use a pot/hs or sw/ls
    I also use Quartz for target cast bars while tanking bosses that heal.
    I tried to use NECB for this but some bosses have way too many abilities that appear there.

I would focus on your rotation, positioning of the target (certain fights call for this depending on you groups selected start) way WAY more than your health.
    health=healers
    aggro=tank

On trash, I'm watching healer and dps mana summary, not worrying about health, and watching buffs. Threat shouldn't be much of an issue as long as the raid behaves (and those that don't aren't the MT's responsibility - that belongs to the RL)

On bosses, I keep an eye on my health, and mostly watch buff/debuff cooldowns. Hitting an Ironshield whenever I can, making sure that Demo and TC are up, and keeping CS/BS up. Keep an eye on your health for when to use cooldowns - the difference between an ok tank and a great tank is being able to keep yourself alive when something unexpected happens.

Honestly I would say what I pay attention to the most is everyone else. What's going on around me and glance at everything else. For instance if adds are popping up, positioning, what's going on in the encounter. Who needs a brez? Who is in the wrong spot? That kind of stuff.

Other than that I just watch my hp and debuffs. My rotation is built into my fingers and I don't need to watch omen usually--my threat is great and the DPS need to be watching it. Health is an iffy one, something i find to be useful is a flashing or warning mod to warn you when you are below a certain mark (say 20%) so you don't need to watch your HP to know when to pop stuff.

I watch Battlestar Galactica ...

and I think Chengt said it just the way I would have. Quartz, Rage, Threat meter ... as well as a quick glance around to see how everybody else is doing (not their bars, but the live action around me ... I do love to see the battle unfold and not think of the game as just numbers and bars). Towards the end of any big fight I check mana bars of my healers and start glancing at my health in case I need to pop the OS buttons to ensure a successful run.

... And then I watch more Tricia Helfer.

For me it depends on the fight, if there is a lot of environmental damage, I focus on tight rotations and debuffs then the environment. If I see healers on the move, I trigger trinks, chug a ironshield, hit a health stone or crystal focus, last stand, shield wall...anything to buy them time to position and cast. Some fights are tank positioning, against the wall for lurker, between elementals on the prince, on the move for transition on hydross, or where to go next for death and decay. I find myself rotating my camera view a lot more during these fights.

If it is a pretty simple tank and spank like VR where I only have to make sure I scale threat as an off tank, I watch off tank debuffs, my rotations adding blood rage on cool downs, refresh shouts and make damn sure I am not getting parried. Once the knockback occurs, I would generally change weapons to my 1.6 better tanking stats weapon, chug a ironshield, and start in on SB and threat rotations.

Fubs

Interesting question and one of those rare occasions where thread necromancy is good

Hard to say. One key is obviously to have a comfortable and informative UI. I tend not to watch my health but my unit frame bar is noticable enough that if I'm in trouble, I know it and can deploy counter measures (like LS, SW, HS, pot, scream at healers, etc)

Then again, I hawk my rage bar alot and being there with my health, I tend to get them both. Other than that, I try to keep an eye on the environment....which is usually a boss's crotch and making sure my hands are on the right buttons, lol. Cooldowns, definitely. Playing a resto druid as a main for 7 months let my timing slip some. I used to have things like SB CD down to second nature. Flywheeling LB stacks requires a completely different timing mechanism and the two are currently jumbled in my head.....so I'm pug raiding on my mage, lol.

+ Reply to Thread