+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rage Starved

Rage Starved

Ok running lots of heroics lately for badges and the biggest problem I seem to be having is my TPS sucks. I'm probably only avg 450tps with my normal rotation(basically devastate whenever Shield Slam or Revenge isn't up). And can spike up to 1000tps when I've got a rage bar to start dumping heroic strikes.

2 mob tanking generally sucks. I usually shoot the main target, shield slam secondary, then back to main target to devastate. But I find that by the time I'm back to the main target I'm out of rage and having a hard time holding onto it.

Gear wise I have been working hard to get my HP up at least over 14k. As a result so far my pieces put my defense higher then I think I should have. I was looking to try and get unwavering legguards next badge purchase seeing as I have ok bracers already. But now I'm thinking I need to get the badge bracers for some more expertise/hit stacking to help my TPS.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Armory: Link

Can you explain your rotation a little bit more? Are you using combo macros?

Do you notice large dodge/parry strings when you run out of rage? At what amount of rage do you start dumping with HS?

Also bear in mind that this may be a gear related issue. You have very little SBV and your weapon is still a blue. I'd bet that this and possibly your rotation are to blame.

As far as gear/spec go, you are headed in the right direction, so I'd suggest it would be something you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edhellin View Post
    Can you explain your rotation a little bit more? Are you using combo macros?
    I'll admit I am using a combo macro. I started using one so I could focus more on awareness on my surroundings etc instead of staring at my keys all the time waiting for GCD's.

/startattack
    /cast Shield Block
    /castrandom Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate

I keep another key bound to shield slam. Because I notice that the combo macro sometimes skips Slam for a few GCDs or hitting it will blow a devastate when waiting a half second will give me the rage for a Slam.

Do you notice large dodge/parry strings when you run out of rage? At what amount of rage do you start dumping with HS?
    I start dumping when I see it creeping over around 40%. But this is only usually an issue during boss fights(or say the robots in Heroic Mech).

Also bear in mind that this may be a gear related issue. You have very little SBV and your weapon is still a blue. I'd bet that this and possibly your rotation are to blame.
    Working on getting The Sun Eater now but aside from it doing more DPS I don't see it helping my situation that much. Grabbed the brooch and was planning on going for the badge legs next. But with this issue I'm starting to think maybe I should chase the bracers(even tho mine aren't the worst in the world) to get more hit/expertise.

Unfortunately right now I don't think I can spare any of my gem slots for +hit gems because I really need the sta.

Quote Originally Posted by Haps View Post
    I'll admit I am using a combo macro. I started using one so I could focus more on awareness on my surroundings etc instead of staring at my keys all the time waiting for GCD's.

/startattack
    /cast Shield Block
    /castrandom Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate

I keep another key bound to shield slam. Because I notice that the combo macro sometimes skips Slam for a few GCDs or hitting it will blow a devastate when waiting a half second will give me the rage for a Slam.
    This might be a huge part of your problem.
    It's hard to believe that you read this site and use a tanking macro

Ok aside from that.. you need to use a better rotation.
    Also read through the Rage decisions section (can't remember the exact title) of the tanking guide. It talks about subbing a shield bash for a devastate in very low rage situations.
    While shield bash is on a HUGE cd it is a great thing to keep in mind when in low rage situations or when disarmed (stupid kz trash )

As far as rotations go. Basically what I used to do was devastate constantly. Use Shield Slam and Revenge whenever they are up(with Shield block when it's up to force a revenge). Start dumping with HS at 40%.

As for the macro. Yeah I know it's bad(and almost didn't want to admit it). But for the sake of getting help I was honest. I started using one when I started running the heroics and at first found it great. I kinda used it as a crutch so I could focus more on what was going on and learning the heroics before working on button mashing.

I know before when I wasn't using a macro I probably was missing revenge a lot. Between devastate and hitting Slam when it's up I wasn't paying attention to SB & Revenge. SO I have loved the macro for taking care of revenge if it's available. However, Like I mentioned I have noticed it's gimping my shield Slam.
    Last edited by Haps; 01-12-2008 at 07:02 PM.

chengt you probably read it from here:

The Protection Warrior - Elitist Jerks

Haps don't worry about the macro. I used a HS dump macro through 5/6 3/4 until I realized it was a mistake. Here is what I use atm.

SS >> Rev >> Dev >> Dev

I have HS bound to my 'R' key and use that while paying keen attention to my rage bar. I will only use HS when I'm at or above 50 rage. Shield Bash is also something to definitely keep in mind when you're low on rage.

As far as gear goes get those bracers ASAP. Yes the ones you have now are good, but read up on Expertise and you will see that point for point it outranks Sta in overall effectiveness.

And believe it or not your white damage DOES give you substantial threat bonuses. A Sun Eater with Mongoose on it will be a nice boost. Also, I don't remember which abilities scale with weapon damage (HS and maybe Dev?). This is why some people use a slower weapon in some situations to get nice insta threat.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Haps View Post
    Keybinds really helped me to focus on the action instead of the bottom half of my screen. I experimented a bit and currently I have 1. taunt 2. shield block 3. shield slam 4. revenge 5. devastate

My ring, middle and index fingers rest on 2,3 and 4 respectively. This allowed me to view the upper portion of the screen alot more than when I moused it. Also I notice that I can register events that occur in the left portion and bottom portion of my screen much faster than events that occur in the right and upper portions. I've moved my boss mods warnings lower and put omen on my left side. I wish I could put de-buff there too. I can't seem to just flick my eyes to the upper right portion and register info, I have to look at it for a few seconds. Wierd huh? Something you might consider though.

Shield Block really isn't necessary at all in heroics, and it definetely sounds like you could use the extra rage it's taking. I would recommend weaning yourself off macros like that, but if you wann keep using it, i'd say take the shield block line out and see how you do.

Yeah. For now I'm still using a couple macros. 1 does Revenge and Devastate. And a Revenge and Devastate Alternate macro for a boss fight or if I'm getting slammed hard. And then I have another that revenge, devastes, and HS dumps when rage warrants it.

Slam is out of the macros and I'll work on the rest.

Good points made so far.

Basically:

1) Tone down the Defence on your gear for heroic trash and stack SBV and hit.

2) Get rid of the macro. Don't start with Shield Block on trash.. in fact, don't bother with Shield Block on trash at all unless for special cases (e.g. the hard hitting bogs in UB, SV). Start with a big fat Shield Slam then Dev x 3, Revenge when its up, queue HS when you have > 40% rage. Thunderclap helps for multimob pulls to buy you time to tab to each one.

SS >> REV >> DEV >> DEV
    (+ shield block)

If rage > 50, Heroic Strike

Shield block costs significant rage but it allows you to use Revenge every cycle. Since revenge is extremely cheap (with my talents it costs 2 rage), in the end you get more threat using shield block all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by brain9h View Post
    SS >> REV >> DEV >> DEV
    (+ shield block)

If rage > 50, Heroic Strike

Shield block costs significant rage but it allows you to use Revenge every cycle. Since revenge is extremely cheap (with my talents it costs 2 rage), in the end you get more threat using shield block all the time.
    I don't know about that. I find SB a waste on trash since I block a whole lot as it is and can pretty much use Revenge whenever I want to.

Putting up SB eats alot of rage. I'd rather use that rage on a Dev - only 9 rage with Imp Sunder.

+ Reply to Thread