+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good DPS "Benchmark" Raid bosses?

Good DPS "Benchmark" Raid bosses?

I know this may not be the ideal forum for this, but what bosses do you guys use to "benchmark" INDIVIDUAL raiders' DPS. By this, I mean a situation like: "______ is a new raider (DPS). We want to see what he's got when he goes full-throttle. Let's see what he can do on ______ boss."

I fully understand that:

- these will be different for ranged and melee,
    - may even be different for different classes within ranged and melee,
    - most fights don't allow this kind of performance,

Not looking for AOE - looking for good single-target DPS tests. If you've ever done these, which bosses do you use and why?

what bosses do you have access to?

With the exception of frost mages, and elemental shamans, I think that Hydross is the best fight to judge a DPS on. Not only do they have to dish out damage, but there is a very real threat ceiling, and that is an important thing to be able to manage.

The two exceptions are there because their primary form of DPS doesn't work for half the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by torand View Post
    With the exception of frost mages, and elemental shamans, I think that Hydross is the best fight to judge a DPS on. Not only do they have to dish out damage, but there is a very real threat ceiling, and that is an important thing to be able to manage.

The two exceptions are there because their primary form of DPS doesn't work for half the fight.
    Hydross wouldn't work well because of dropping off dots, transitions adds etc.

void reaver and gruul are good for that i think. if you can do 10% of VR's health a minute you will kill him. if you can have 50% of gruul's health down by about growth 6-8 (growth 12-16 kill) you should be able to kill him without being gibbed. the fights are strait forward, no adds or tricks to them, other than staying alive.

problem with gruul is melee threat is an issue and ranged isn't, Void reaver is bleed immune so thats a huge loss for rogues

Tidewalker is great for melee, however with the AOE on the murlocks, the caster dps will obviously be inflated.

We have 5/6 SSC and just VR in The Eye. Even if we're not there yet, I'm just trying to get an idea what to look out for, and what carrots to dangle for the naysayers.

So far, it seems like Lurker below is a good test for ranged DPS, although I guess the add phases I guess mess up the numbers. Gruul could be good too, I guess.

We'll probably use Tidewalker for melee.

Most of the other 25-man bosses we have access to don't work for one reason or another.

Maulgar - lower-level adds
    Mag - clickers and low-lvl adds
    Hydross - transitions, DOTs
    Leo - stop/start too much, aggro wipes.
    Karathress - lower-lvl adds
    VR - threat ceiling issues with all the threat loss.

So what can I look forward to? I hear Akama is a nukefest, right? I guess Al'ar could be good for ranged. Solarian has adds.

Gruul is the simplest and easiest. To be honest, DPS problems tend to be glaring. One person will be way down the list compared to her peers.

Also, use WWS and you can quickly glance at the ability mix used. 9 times out of 10, if someone is having troubles with dps, they'll be using an incorrect rotation and that will show up on their abilities list. You can also look at miss rate to see if everyone has a solid amount of hit rating.

I know this is a bit late, but only recently found the site and felt like people kind of missed the point. Seeing as you are more than likely well past Gruul, and into TK full go by now, the obvious choice for guaging a ranged DPSers numbers is in phase 1 of Alar, for melee the choice is either Morogrim or VR.

During phase 1 of Alar all your ranged DPS should be going balls to the wall and you can really see what people can do. I would really prefer testing melee on VR, while he is immune to some Warrior and Rogue abilities you can still adequately gauge their ability to dps. You may not see the high numbers you wish, but for a fight such as Morogrim, you may have melee graved multiple times during the fight. (God knows our Fury warrior tends to get graved 2-4 times during 1 fight.)

All in all, gauging someone's pure DPS is all fine and good, but its their ability to push good numbers even with the raid damage, the intermittent dodging of big arcane balls, and the dodging for whirlwinds that is what you want. As you push through content, more and more things are about pushing "decent" numbers but being able to keep yourself alive. In almost all latter T5 and T6 content Raid Awareness becomes the best thing any raider needs.

All that is said above is good advice but for pure numbers I look for the following (5/6 SSC) and (2/4 TK) over the course of an evening of raiding:
    Minimum acceptable dps: 700
    Solid dps: 800-900
    High dps: > 1000

Of course certain bosses skew these numbers but is a good general guide for me when comparing new people to my existing team.

we've cleared ssc and are on kael, so close to Clifford's pregression level, and I'd agree with his numbers if you're wanting to grade dps over the course of an entire night (trash, bosses of various sorts, etc).

Just keep in mind when you're grading people out that there's always more to those numbers. (one mage may always be on sheep duty, and is the one keeping up scortch, etc vs another that's just dps'ing) That's why people in the thread tried to offer up isolated encounters that should put people on a level playing field. On the other hand, thsoe isolated examples may not tell you how well people dps in more dynamic environments... so look at it both ways.

For ranged DPS I would say avoid Lurker. A'lar phase 1 is good for everyone but Mages, but I don't know how to break A'lar WWS information down by phase.

If I had to pick a good stand in one place and max-DPS fight I would probably choose Anetheron, depending on what strat you use. Anyone but the Infernal fighters is going to be able to just stand there and nuke Anetheron and that's a pretty good test of raw DPS output.

I disagree with the one who said that late Tier 5 and early Tier 6 are about keeping yourself alive. On Anetheron in MH we had troubles initially with the entire raid being up and him enraging. If your raid DPS is lower than 10,000 I don't know that you can beat him and we have as of yet been unable to take out Kaz due to our lackluster DPS. :P

+ Reply to Thread