+ Reply to Thread

Thread: S1 Chestpiece for tanking?

S1 Chestpiece for tanking?

Looking for some opinions/thoughts on replacing Vindicator's hauberk with Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece. This would be a short term solution until the T4 drops, but if gemmed correctly I think it would be a decent upgrade (assuming I can still hit the defense cap). What do you guys think?

I'm doing that exact upgrade path. I even have the s1 shoulders gemmed for stam and with the exalted aldor tanking chant on them. I'm currently at 512 defense so I think I can afford to drop the hauberk in favor of the S1 chest and remain over 480 defense AND have (23+19+35) 77 resilience with it's 1.95% crit reduction.

Like you, this is an interim upgrade until I get a better tanking chest piece.

In short, depending on your other gear, it can be a viable upgrade.

complete side note: I'm considering doing a little bit of defense gemming and/or adding a vidicator's armor kit to be over 490 defense anyway. I know that the resilience makes up for the defense when trying to be uncrittable but if someone armories me, i don't wanna have to explain why resilience can close the uncrittability gap... I can imagine getting the whisper "d00d ur not at 490def u cant tnak dat wai!" /sigh

edit: a quick trip to warcrafter.net tells me that I'd still be at 492 even after the chest swap and gemming for pure stam. i'll try to remember to post back here when I get my s1 chest - that should take a few more days to accomplish.

Armory for Artyfact
    Last edited by Artyfact; 01-11-2008 at 07:16 AM.

Do it mate. Providing your resilience and defence are greater than the 5.6% to become uncritable then it's all good. The more stam and armour the better. I am using the second epic chestpiece from armoursmithing (pretty similar stats to the season 1 chestpiece) and that isn't exactly for tanking but the benefit from the armour and stam are worth the drop in avoidance.

I have the season 3 chest, and I had been thinking of using this over the Bold chest I've been using for months because Nightbane refuses to drop his tanking chest.

I just compared the stats and realized that even gemmed for DPS, I'm only losing 2 stamina and gaining a ton of aggro generation. Thanks for reminding me about this.

Yeah I went ahead and got it. Put one +8 DEF gem in, and 2 solid stars along with 150 health.Gets me right to 490, not including the bonus from resilience. Haven't had a chance to tank with it yet, but if it doesn't work out It can always be used for PVP.

greendj27- Oh yeah. I'd definately rock the S3 chest!

got my s1, here is what I got from it:

w/Vindicators Hauberk:
    armor: 15371
    HP: 14154
    defense:512

w/S1
    armor: 15792 (+421)
    hp: 14544 (+400, but i only used +9 stam gems and a +10stam armor kit)
    defense: 492

seems like it worked out pretty well

+ Reply to Thread