+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Kara

Tanking Kara

I finally have started to get my gear to what I think is a decent spot. but on 3 seperate occasions recently I was turned down for Kara runs because "my gear sucked"

Is my gear really all that bad for Kara or am I suffering from people who do a quick inspect see more blue then purple and assume the worst.

Armory

Since armory is so flaky lately the cribs notes:

HP: 12594
    AC: 14725
    Defense: 526
    Dodge: 16.97%
    Parry: 17.67%
    Block: 24.14%

My first week as prot MT for kara in my guild i was 12.6k health, 15k armor, 500 def, 16% dodge, 16% parry, 19% block. We 1 shot every boss but nightbane which only took 3 tries and we failed during the air phase not the ground phase. So your guild is misinformed.

Your gear is fine for Kara. I tanked kara for weeks at around
    11000 HP
    13000 AC
    500ish def
    17% dodge
    16% parry
    24% block

I think what you are running into is one of three things:

1. People are used to doing it with X, Y, Z tanks which have those stats or better (but they have been running kara, so of course they have better stats). They may be comparing you to those tanks.

2. People who are overgeared for a while that still run kara tend to forget what it really takes to tank an instance and try to estimate what your gear should be, and usually overestimate (it was a long time ago, etc).

3. They are now way past your point of gearing and are used to a particular speed/success rate. When I tanked kara in those stats, everyone was at a similar gear level, so we had wipes, learning experiences, etc. Kara took a longer time to finish. Now that people are better geared, they take out kara much faster (I think we are doing it in around 3 hours now, counting a silly wipe or two due to stupidity). So taking a tank that is a gear level or more lower than them might scare them some as they are used to a certain speed/success rate and want a faster and easier run than your stats my provide in their minds.

So I personally think it boils down to a psychological issue on their part. Your stats are fine. Obviously, better stats would lend to a faster/easier run, but you have the stats to tank all of kara.

Agreed, your gear sounds just fine for Kara, and it sounds like your guild just might be use to having the tanks they run with normally and stubborn to make change. Maybe you can convince them to give you a test run or something to scope you out and then they will see that it is possible without full epics. Good luck.

what realm are you on Haps? I would like to look at your armory, to get some ideas for my tank friend.

It's more just people wanting to farm it for badges and have a t5 tank dominate all the encounters. Your gear is fine.

hehe a T5 tank tanking kara

When I first tanked Kara I barely went over 490 defense, and had 12k ac and hp

I now have close to 14.5 / 15 k for both, but only because I have 3 epics from kara and one boj reward.

/shrug

You should aim for the 12k hp/ac and 490 hp. Anything else is holding your guild back. Should be able to at least do huntsman with that.

When I tanked kara a was a mix of green and blue gear, it was doable till shade. After some serious gearing up illhoof and the rest came down easy. I now sit around 15,9k HP with kara/badge gear, tanked ZA yesterday but only killed bear. The diffrence is huge cuz Kara bosses are cake (these days). Anyway with your stats you can tank kara, but for Illhoof, Prince and Nightbane you could use some more hp. GL!
    Carefish - Fury Warrior - Chromaggus EU

+ Reply to Thread