+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I feel dirty (PvP gear for tanking)

I feel dirty (PvP gear for tanking)

Before today I was saving my Arena points for the season 2 shield. However, once I got to looking the season 2 shield only gave me 3 stamina and 400-ish Armor over the shield I had, the season 1 shield, but the season 2 shoulders gave me 400 armor and 26 stamina over the Shoulderguards of the Bold with 2 Solid Stars. Needless to say I went for the shoulders. I socketed them the same and they sure look pretty, but I just hear myself saying the same things.

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    It's PvP gear; it's not tanking gear. I should not be using them.
    Was I wrong to move to the "clearly not designed for tanks" shoulders?
    Last edited by Invisniper; 12-26-2007 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Cannot get the link for the Shoulderguards of the Bold to work. Removed.

No. Use them. They are fine for tanking, especially as a replacement the Bold shoulders.

As for the itemlink issue: [item]Shoulderguards of the Bold[/item]. Specifically, [item]Shoulderguards of the Bold[/item]
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Indeed, quite the upgrade. I myself am only 200 arena points away from the season 2 shield. Its not all that huge of an upgrade from [item]shield of impenetrable darkness[/item] but the armor/stam of it are quite nice. Only lose 3 block value overall and swap resilience for defense, going to be my EH shield while my current is my avoidance/threat as I'll put +block value on it instead of stam.

I disagree that s2 shield is a small upgrade from nightbane shield...

Theres 900 armor!!!! 15 stamina

That is HUGE HUGE HUGE!

A tank alt in my guild has 16k armor unbuffed, I have 17.4k armor. Trash in ZA killed him in 3 seconds, I managed to take his mobs on me as well as my own. So I could tank his trash and mine so 4 mobs ~. 1400 armor and 1500 health meant i could take 2x the damage in as him. Armor increases lifespan.

As for your shield enchat, a shield spike wiill yield more threat than +block value.

On topic; PvP gear has become very viable tank gear, it has high EH levels which is almost all that matters I have yet to encounter a fight where EH gear was sub par to avoidance. Where 10% avoidance = 2000 health. Which just isn't worth it but then again im biased...

I find the S2 shield a fantastic tanking shield. I've passed on Nightbane's shield and Gruul's with no regrets. My next six weeks of 10 5v5's is dedicated to the S3 chest... but I am hoping the T4 chest drops first. I need more avoidance in my gear, so the [item]Warbringer Chestguard[/item] would be better for me than the [item]Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece[/item] considering I'm in the [item]Bulwark of Kings[/item] now - though really I kinda want all three.
    Melissa Theuriau is not a marmot.
    Armory

Felt the same.... :(

I just recently UPGRADED my "shoulders of the bold" for the S2 arena shoulders and couldn't be more happy; well until Netherspite (five weeks now) finally drops my shoulders. I am currently saving arena pts. for the S2 shield since I have dropped Nightbane six weeks in a row w/ no luck getting the Impenetrable Darkness shield to drop.

SD

I use four pieces of pvp gear to tank (used to be five). There's nothing wrong with it, they're the best possible choices since tank gear doesn't like to drop for my guild.
    "We actually talked today about adding an item level 300 shirt that did absolutely nothing but mess with mods that attempt to boil down players to gear scores. " -Ghostcrawler

I heard this for quite a while too, from other tanks actually, but i wouldnt replace my S2 shoulders for much less than MAYBE T4 for prince for the dodge, but even so, I have my S2 shoulders gemed for threat (hit) as the natural stam on them is so good as is and i was lacking in +hit at the time

keep em on, and dont feel bad, just pretend they are T5 shoulders that you somehow got on a loot reaver pug?

Quote Originally Posted by thugthedum View Post
    I find the S2 shield a fantastic tanking shield. I've passed on Nightbane's shield and Gruul's with no regrets. My next six weeks of 10 5v5's is dedicated to the S3 chest... but I am hoping the T4 chest drops first. I need more avoidance in my gear, so the [item]Warbringer Chestguard[/item] would be better for me than the [item]Vengeful Gladiator's Plate Chestpiece[/item] considering I'm in the [item]Bulwark of Kings[/item] now - though really I kinda want all three.
    Get the chest from Zul'jin, its almost identical to t5 and is pretty easy to get.

S2 Shield rock + the color matches Kings Defender

i stand at 16 health unbuff, 17.7k armor after the shield upgrade
    Next target is the VR shoulders and S3 plate chest for aggro.

ZA is going slow in my guild, the motivation to do ZA isnt there as it doesnt have good loot gear for some class.

Quote Originally Posted by nicki View Post
    A tank alt in my guild has 16k armor unbuffed, I have 17.4k armor. Trash in ZA killed him in 3 seconds, I managed to take his mobs on me as well as my own. So I could tank his trash and mine so 4 mobs ~. 1400 armor and 1500 health meant i could take 2x the damage in as him. Armor increases lifespan.
    Uh. Not that I disagree with what you're saying, but I've done the same -- with 14000 unbuffed armor. Had to pop Shield Wall, of course, but I didn't get insta-gibbed when it ran out.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

+ Reply to Thread