+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Maximizing TPS (Rotation and Keybindings)

Maximizing TPS (Rotation and Keybindings)

My current keybindings for my threat abilities are as follows:

1) Devistate/stopcasting/HS macro
    2) Shield Block
    3) Revenge
    4) Shield Slam
    5) Taunt

I almost always use the SS/Rev/Dev/Dev with HSs in between for rage dump. When I am tanking a hard hitting boss I will hit my Dev/HS macro while my GCD is going, which will queue a HS. I can get a HS between each ability on hard hitting bosses usually. With this rotation I can maintain 950 TPS, but I think I can do better. My standard boss gear consists of 5% Exp, 22 Hit, and about 480 SBV. I'd rather keep the gear as it is.

My current problem is dumping too much rage and then wasting time waiting for enough rage to restart the rotation. This happens when I finish off the rotation with the Dev/HS macro and HSs eat rage (no Imp HS talent).

I am considering changing my keybindings to the following:

1) Devistate
    2) Shield Block
    3) Revenge
    4) Shield Block
    5) Taunt
    R) Heroic Strike

With these keybindings I would then pay more attention to my rage bar (tweaking UI or something of the like). I would use the normal rotation but be more selective on HSs, only queuing when rage is appropriate enough for my rotation to be continued without waiting for more rage.

My concerns with this setup though is how much I will need to be doing. I haven't really tried it yet, but I'm wondering before I do if it's just too much to do along with other tank responsibilities.

My other idea was to make all of my threat abilities macros ending with /cast Shield Block. Ie:

/cast Shield Slam
    /cast Shield Block

I'm somewhat of a masher, so that would clear up a key where I could put HS (without a SB queue).

My final solution for higher TPS would be:

1) Devistate
    2) Shield Block
    3) Revenge
    4) Shield Slam
    5) Taunt
    Shift-1) Dev/stopcasting/HS macro

I could then use the macro when needed, be it once in a rotation, twice, or queuing HS between each ability.

Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I need to change my play style all together to pass 1000 TPS I can do it, I just want to generate more threat.

I don't use any kind of combo macros. More control over what you are doing will show better results. However, you will obviously have to work more for it.

Exactly you can't blindly macro all that stuff together and then hope for good tps.

Heres mine that also works well with mashing for when you need your attention somewhere else.

1 taunt
    2 shield block
    3 shield slam
    4 devastate
    5 revenge

Thats as far as I go on the numbers without clicking. I have demo shout & tclap on mouse buttons but for most bosses I just click them (not moving why bother making it hard). HS is a last resort for me, honestly I should use it more then I do but I'm pushing around 1000tps without it and my dps doesn't need anymore at the moment.

When you need to mash and don't need to move just put your fingers on 2-5 and mash away.

I think your lack of rage comes from either HSing too often or avoiding too much damage though. If you are over geared for the boss drop some damage reducing skills like tclap or demo shout. If you and your healers are really over geared I've been known to stop using shield block if I have not enough rage to keep my rotation going.

I have 47hit & 43 expertise (16 er) in my EH outfit.

I use
    Q) shield slam
    E) shield block
    Z) heroic strike
    X) concussion blow
    C) revenge
    1) attack
    2) taunt
    3) devastate
    4) thunderclap

In particular I find using the Q and E keys to be invaluable. I rebind A and D to strafe and turn with my mouse.

I also don't use any 'combo' macros. I like having complete control as in many fights there will be times when you want to shield block and/or heroic strike constantly and there will be times you don't.

Almost forgot the one macro I do use is for stuff like devastate. Add in a macro that has

/startattack
    /cast devastate

I need this since I have my ui set to stop attacking when I tab target to avoid breaking cc. Then when I hit the button if I don't have enough rage to devastate at least I'm hitting it rather then just standing there

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I'm going to give it a shot without any combo macros and see how it works.

Yep, using any kind of tanking macro is just going to make you less effective and worse at it.

Particularly, using any macro involving heroic strike in it is bad. Heroic strike can be used any time your rage is like higher than 50, safely. Remember, it's a rage dump, so always make sure you have enough rage to repeat the Shield slam, revenge, Dev, Dev rotation over and over without waiting for rage. If you have extra rage then you can burn some off with heroic strike.

Adding more expertise and hit rating to your threat suit will have the biggest impact in improving threat as well.

Might seem odd but here is what I run around with for keybinds. I don't wind up using the mouse when tanking so I just go at it two-handed and somehow it seems to work out. By having both hands on the keyboard I can place every single ability I can use in whatever stance I'm in right under my fingers without having to worry about where my mouse is on the screen to try and click anything extra. Not saying its for everyone but this binding setup has worked well for both raiding and soloing on my warrior and my caster alts so far. Starting to run out of buttons for all of the spells though. XD
    1-disarm, 2-HS, 3-shield block, 4-revenge, 5-rend, 6-thunder clap, 7-intervene/focus macro, 8-taunt, 9-shield wall | 0, -, and = are all trinkets. This is my stance bar anyway, only Defensive Stance required abilities for the most part.
    Shift+1-Perception, Shift+2-Last Stand, Shift+3-Bloodrage, Shift+4-Intimidating Shout, Shift+5-Challenging Shout
    Where the hell is everything else? Rebound my 10-digit pad...
    / * -
    789+
    Top three are stances, zerker stance is a macro to pop both bloodrage and zerker rage.
    7-concussion blow, 8-shield bash, 9-spell reflect, +-taunt macro that pops trinkets at the same time
    4-hamstring(used to be sunder before dev change), 5-shield slam, 6-cleave
    1-battle shout, 2-commanding shout, 3-demoralizing shout
    0-devastate
    Last edited by Baceramus; 12-22-2007 at 06:00 PM.

I dont use any sort of macros for tanking either, only for PvP like spell reflect and disarm :P My keybindings look like this :
    1-Taunt
    2-Shield Slam
    3-Devastate
    4-Shield Block
    5-Revenge
    6-Shield Bash
    7-Challenging shout
    shift R- Thunderclap
    shift T-Concussion Blow
    shift F- Bloodrage
    shift 1-Demo shout
    shift 2-Battle Shout
    Q-Intervene
    E-Heroic Strike
    Z-Commanding shout
    G-Last Stand
    T-auto attack, I actually have it on the bar so I can see when it's working or not

Everything else I click... and it's working pretty well for me. Nice to see what everyone else is doing with their keybindings

Just thought I'd make this for fun. I don't use it, but I tested it, and it works. For some reason I had to put the rank after Mangle, or it would not work. After trying it, I am considering getting one of those keyboards that spam a button for you, and walking away while I tank bosses.
    Drood 1 button single target tanking:

/script CancelPlayerBuff("Blessing of Salvation")
    /script CancelPlayerBuff("Enrage")
    /cast Enrage
    /castsequence reset=5 Mangle (Bear)(Rank 3), Lacerate, Lacerate, Lacerate
    /cast Maul

For a warrior, using commanding shout, I would assume this would work, but I don't know, since I don't have a warrior. It is likely that some of them will need ranks to work, the way mangle does. Someone correct the warrior one for me.
    Warrior 1 button single target tanking:

/castsequence reset=60 Bloodrage, Commanding Shout
    /cast Shield Block
    /castsequence reset=5 Revenge, Shield Slam, Devastate, Devastate
    /cast Heroic Strike

Paladins already have 1 button tanking as far as I can tell.

These macros should work very well if you have unlimited rage.

I found this macro to be my wipe saver on TW since TPS on him is horrid due to his debuff. I was pumping out 4-500tps without my macro and then started pumping out 6-800 with it. Since you basically have unlimited rage against him, it works very well. On the Bog Lords in ssc another unlimited rage type situation I can hit around 11-1200 sustained tps with the macro, but again hitting one keybind is boring and I only use it sparingly. So here it is, nothing really special:

/castrandom Devastate, Shield Slam, Revenge
    /cast [modifier:ctrl] Cleave; Heroic Strike

Just hold down ctrl for the cleave as opposed to the constant hs spamming. It's a slight variation of one of the macros already listed on one of the guides here.

I do not get why you would ever use /castrandom. It seems to me like there is no advantage to /castrandom over /castsequence, and all it does is decrease your TPS.

At the same time, all the macros on wowwiki use /castrandom. Anyone know why?

Here is the macro I currently use.

/castrandom Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate
    /cast Heroic Strike

Optionally you can added a /cast Shield Block into this macro for hard hitting infinite rage situations.

With this macro I push between 1000 and 1300 TPS. Granted it's not always going to be the ideal rotation given that it's core is controled by randomness and the heroic strike will be dumping rage when it shouldn't be but for doing trash or bosses where threat doesn't matter this macro is a 1 stop shop.

Currently castsequence is broken when you have more than 1 of them present in the same macro. In 2.3.2 this will be fixed and a more efficient macro will be possible using more than one castsequence and no castrandoms.

Also an optional solution for those lazy enough to have a macro controling heroic strikes might want to consider a slower weapon. This would tune down the amount of rage getting dumped while trading off a little bit of top end threat generation in infinite rage situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Melange View Post
    I do not get why you would ever use /castrandom. It seems to me like there is no advantage to /castrandom over /castsequence, and all it does is decrease your TPS.

At the same time, all the macros on wowwiki use /castrandom. Anyone know why?
    As odd as it sounds, you have more control when you have two cooldown abilities. *shrug*

You can utterly spam /castrandom. Whenever the cooldown on Revenge and Shield Slam are up, it uses Devastate instead (assuming you're spamming it constantly). With a /castsequence, you have to start over. The problem is when it uses Devastate over Revenge or Shield Slam.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Bonerot View Post
    Exactly you can't blindly macro all that stuff together and then hope for good tps.
    Please acknowledge that this statement only holds true for those with minimal macro'ing skills.

I've found that macro'ing a few particular abilities together combo rather well. In fact, pushing fewer buttons has trained me in the ways of spam-avoidance.

Best combos I've worked into my rotation:

[F1]: All-in-One Charge/Intercept/Intervene (Using F for Focus Target command makes this work wonders)

[F2]: Bloodrage+Thunder Clap+Demo. Shout (Great for dealing mass threat quickly)

[2]: Shield Block + Revenge (This gets spammed like crazy on boss fights cause Revenge is so sweet at 2 rage)

Still working on a Execute; [nocombat] Sit combo for my X key, and a /jump; /cast Piercing Howl macro for my spacebar, but movement commands can't be macro'd as far as I know...

In short, Macros just your job at tanking easier if you know how to use them without just spamming them on end. Keep them simple - as if one macro represents a special combat maneuver.

Oh, and my favorite macro...

The Chain Charge!
    Charge + /targetnearestenemy + Intercept

Don't you hate it when you see a bunch of horde coming over SH bunker at you and wish you could just bypass them all? This will allow you to cover ALOT of ground quickly if you pick the right targets (and they're fairly well-spaced-out)

Anyway, macros = good

I highly, highly, highly advise against using any type of tanking rotation macros.

In order to get better at tanking, maximizing your threat output in a variety of situations (low rage, medium rage, high rage, boss that can crush, boss that can't, boss that can crush for A LOT, while still being a 'low rage' fight), etc, you want to have total control over ALL of your abilities.

As an example, if you have any of your tanking abilities keybinded together, you can't precisely use what you want when you want to and in an ever-changing order. Your rage might be so bad you can only revenge every 5 seconds. Your rage might be so bad you can only shield block and auto attack and hope to take a normal blocked hit, because a crush could potentially ruin your day immediatly combined with other things.

Maybe your rage is close to unlimited and putting up shield block is irrelevent, and hitting shield block will only lower your TPS and provide no real gain.

What I'm trying to say is having all of your abilities not on a keybind increases the interaction you need to do, which hopefully gives you more of a decision-making role, which will make you a better player. If you're using a threat mod like Omen or something and see your little TPS meter putting out pathetic results with whatever rotation you're doing, you can change it right away and hopefully experiment with better button pushes to get better results.

Then when it comes to keybind, I also highly advise NOT using both hands on the keyboard at once while tanking, or putting any keybinds in a place that will take your mouse hand off of the mouse. The mouse needs to be able to be used for movement and looking around at ALL times while tanking.

Having mouselook/mouse movement free is a great advantage in: Multi mob tanking, picking up adds that spawn, picking up loose mobs, being aware of and avoiding environmental/encounter situations that can kill you (Laser beams of death, void zone type things), and so forth. It also speeds the rate at which you can physically respond to such things, as keyboard movement is limited in the rate at which it will move your character, whereas mouse movement is unlimited.

If you regularly tank using any type of combination macro, or without using your mouse for movement+mouselook, I would work on fixing that, it will be the greatest boost to your abilities than anything you could read strat-wise, or pick up, gear-wise.

I feel it might also be worth saying that even if I find a tank has decent knowledge of the game, decent gear, and appropriate "on paper" performance, I always need to find out how their keybinds are setup, and if they use a tanking macro. If they have really poor hotkeys, keyboard turn, click their abilities, or use tanking macros, there's not a chance they'll be able to perform at peak expectations as needed.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

Quote Originally Posted by Melange View Post
    Just thought I'd make this for fun. I don't use it, but I tested it, and it works. For some reason I had to put the rank after Mangle, or it would not work. After trying it, I am considering getting one of those keyboards that spam a button for you, and walking away while I tank bosses.
    Drood 1 button single target tanking:

/script CancelPlayerBuff("Enrage")
    /cast Enrage
    /castsequence reset=5 Mangle (Bear)(Rank 3), Lacerate, Lacerate, Lacerate
    /cast Maul

For a warrior, using commanding shout, I would assume this would work, but I don't know, since I don't have a warrior. It is likely that some of them will need ranks to work, the way mangle does. Someone correct the warrior one for me.
    Warrior 1 button single target tanking:

/cast Shield Block
    /castsequence reset=5 Revenge, Shield Slam, Devastate, Devastate
    /cast Heroic Strike

Paladins already have 1 button tanking as far as I can tell.

These macros should work very well if you have unlimited rage.
    You might want to put in /script CancelPlayerBuff("Blessing of Protection") as well. Just cause uh... yeah

Quote Originally Posted by Xav View Post
    I highly, highly, highly advise against using any type of tanking rotation macros.
    I'd say mine makes me more able to keep an eye on what's happening, as my eyes don't have to be glued to the buttons to see what's on cooldown. I have all the individual skills mapped to keys too, and use them when appropriate.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes to have macros for threat skills and shield block for some boss fights when my attention is needed on a lot of other things in addition to generating threat.

Perhaps 2 macros, one with HS & one without.

Does anyone have situational threat warrior macros they wouldn't mind sharing?

I ended up making a couple

One for high rage boss fights

/startattack
    /cast Bloodrage
    /cast Shield Block
    /cast Heroic Strike

The same without heroic strike

/startattack
    /cast Bloodrage
    /cast Shield Block

and one for stuff that doesn't hit as hard you could just remove the shield block

+ Reply to Thread