Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much NR gear for Akil'zon (Eagle Avatar)

How much NR gear for Akil'zon (Eagle Avatar)

I decided to set up the raid with a grp of pug friends last night to do ZA.
    We did well on the 1st boss with 2 attempts.
    But we only manage to take Akil'zon (Eagle Avatar) to 20%.
    We had some sound, voice and lag issues of people running in and out the rain. We were using the wow voice chat.

I have the full set of NR gear (295NR) but I tried switching some pieces.

On the 20% attempt, I tank with 488 def, 18+health buff, 16.5k armor, 260NR buff.

One question on tanking Akil'zon (Eagle Avatar), how much NR, defence, health and armor do i need?

We had 3 healers, do we need another healer?

The few times I've done him, I haven't worn any NR. Typically we have a hunter with us, so he just keeps aspect up and we have a shaman in the other group use a totem. We bring 3 healers, and just completely ignore the birds. Last night was the only time we had an issue with him, we got him to 20% but we had no hunter and 4 melee dps(normally we only have 1-2 melee dps). The first time I tanked him, I had about 15.4k armor, 14.6k hp unbuffed. As long as you aren't melee heavy it's typically people not properly collapsing during the storms, and then spreading out after that has wiped us. Once the group gets that down, he goes down pretty easily.

The only NR you need for Akil'zon are the ones on my Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Syana View Post
    The only NR you need for Akil'zon are the ones on my Avatar.
    I prefer her not having any gear

Hrm, I've worn my NR gear against this boss and if you only have 1-2 melee besides the tank you can stay in for the entire fight to build rage. Get up to 300NR buffed and the only damage you have to worry about is physical. So long as your raid isn't killing each other by chaining the lightning your healers can keep up on all physical damage. I just found it fun to dance around and not take 2-4k damage from his lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Baceramus View Post
    Hrm, I've worn my NR gear against this boss and if you only have 1-2 melee besides the tank you can stay in for the entire fight to build rage. Get up to 300NR buffed and the only damage you have to worry about is physical. So long as your raid isn't killing each other by chaining the lightning your healers can keep up on all physical damage. I just found it fun to dance around and not take 2-4k damage from his lightning.
    How much health, armor and defence do you have with that NR gear?

I have about 13.2k health and 15.1k armor unbuffed in that gear, 230NR, and about 450 or so defense which is why I sub in some resilience to push off crits. I sit decently at about 17k health(I think) and 16k armor buffed and use avoidance trinkets when I get low to give my healers time. The thing I hate is there is no disarm on that boss, would really give me a leg up if I could pop that on him now and then.

Edit: By rereading your original post I'd say if you are running into any issues it might be your melee/ranged people bogging down the healers that might get you. If you somehow let a crush slip through or go more than 8k damage without heals you might want to make sure your dps is doing its best to not suck away the healer's attention. On another note, a lot of people will ignore the birds but its really easy to have an affliction lock toss 2 dots on each bird and they all die before the next lightning storm. Just gets 'em out of your hair.
    Last edited by Baceramus; 12-22-2007 at 11:43 AM.

You are right, the positioning, running in and out of the storm is the main killer. The healers are probably having problems healing them.

When we finally get it right yesterday, deadlyboss mod fail on us, somehow the timer didnt indicate the storm correctly and it came in late

Straight up tanking gear.

Everybody spread out in a horseshoe, to avoid chaining. When the DBM timer is up, (note that this is not when it's going to storm, but when it CAN storm), EVERYBODY collapses on the tank. The cloud has a huge protective range and the tank will even have room to turn him away from the group and still be under it's protection. After the storm is over, everybody goes back to their initial starting points and continues. A lock or a hunter on the birds is a plus.

If for some reason, somebody was slow and didn't get with the group, the tank will go under the cloud with the rest of the raid. When the storm is over, take him back to the middle.

Don't make this fight hard.
    Last edited by Calve; 12-23-2007 at 01:19 PM.

"Buy the ticket, take the ride" - Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    You are right, the positioning, running in and out of the storm is the main killer. The healers are probably having problems healing them.

When we finally get it right yesterday, deadlyboss mod fail on us, somehow the timer didnt indicate the storm correctly and it came in late
    No, your dependency on said timer failed you. As stated all over these boards, and on the DBM site itself, it is a timer for a mob's Cooldown, not the usage of the ability.

This is the easiest fight in the zone in my opinion, jsut know the mechanics of the fight. The storm will Always go to the person standing furthest away from the boss, if your people are not collapsing correctly before the storm, use this fact to your advantage.

My guild and I have a really nice strat for this boss.

What we do is have the tank tank him right in front of the square he is standing on (on the side closest to the stairs). have all raid members turn off all sounds except ambience sound. Tank him comfortally there. Plant your most solid Healer in the middle of the square (where the boss is originally standing). Have the rest of the raid spread out in a semi circle around him.

The point of having only Ambiance sound on is so that you can hear the RAIN that starts falling before he does the lightning storm. So with everyone with ambiance sound on the reaction time for moving to the middle for the storm before he casts it. I usually call out RUN for the extra enforcement, and everyone stops everything and runs, even if midcast.

I then have my Intervene macro set to Intervene the Stationary Healer as he is always in the middle. Then we rince and repeat.

As for the Birds we have a Warlock cast Seed of Corruption on several birds during the converge phase and a Mage (or 2) Arcane Explosion during that time because they are all only going to the same place during then. This strat usually lets us kill al the birds during converge. The Warlock also casts Seed of Corruption throughout rest of fight periodically on the boss.

P.S. if you are a dps warrior in there and get thrown into the air, intercept is your friend on the way down.

With this strat I have never worn AR and the key is to have your most solid Healer stand in the middle. I find this to be a better strat because if the healers are all moving to the tank then there is a gap in healing received which may cause wipe.

P.S. Intervene is quite possibly your most versatile ability do not forget you have it.

The rain queue is a good call, same as nightbane, I always watch the ground shake to stance dance, didnt really pay much attention to the big wig.

Can I say that the timer is the cooldown, and when it is up, it means that the boss can cast the storm anytime.

And the real queue is the Rain sound. Is there and visual queue to it?

"Intervene macro set to Intervene the Stationary Healer" :- I have intervene macro, but how do i set the specific person?

It should be a focus macro.
    /cast [target=focus]Intervene

Just be sure you /focus that target and you are in range and have the rage to do it.

Thats the one I use

Ran it last night for our first attempt & kill. We had 4 melee dps & no hunter or NR gear. With a strong kara group (everyone in enchanted epics kara/badges/heroics) this fight was really more about getting in and out of the cloud then anything else. Very fun fight.

Turn off sound effects and music, and set ambience e overall volume to max.

You will hear birds. Seconds before the storm, rain will start. Make the call to stack over the tank as soon as you hear it. The rain sound grows stronger and stronger for around 5-6 seconds and then the boss summons the storm. Simple as that.

We set our warlock to use seed of corruption during the fight, and we use all our AoE abilities (mage, hunter, druida) when we stack together... this way we get the birds managed quite well.

This fight is a DPS race... try to generate insane threat so your DPS can push hard and make the battle shorter.

In our last kill I didn't use shield block and ate the crushings, it allowed me to pump out 1200 TPS... I did that during the first phase only, when there are no birds to mess with our healing. That's also a good moment to pump up heroism and go insane with damage.

Deal with the storms correctly, space your raid intelligently, and NR isn't even remotely an issue.

Honestly I don't think anyone is saying that you *need* NR, just making notes on how much easier it makes the fight. Everything in the fight is easily healed through and avoided, stacking a bit of NR gear just lightens the load on your healers a bit.

Ive dont it with and without. I usually wear some NR when we have 3 or 4 Melee to reduce the damage a bit. I wear the WildGuard hat and chest. Otherwise I do it with none. I've never tried it with full NR.

Thanks for the help.

Finally down the 2nd boss. Had the NR chest and Ring on