Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydross Resist Gear

Hydross Resist Gear

For both frost and nature, there are shoulder enchants for 7 and a armour kits for 8 that goes on chest, legs, hands, and feet.

Should I be using these or normal tanking enchants like the aldor inscription for shoulders? If I want to tank with my best pieces, it means that I'll be wearing resist enchants on my normal tanking gear.

What should I do?

if you have a 2nd set of shoulders i believe those are recomended. [item]Mantle of Abrahmis[/item] is ideal for that, or the s2 arena shoulders.

Unless you're loaded with gold, replacing enchants is always a bad idea especially for one fight.... My suggestion, swap out another piece somewhere for a green "of nature/frost protection" remember it can be cloth leather mail or plate I do believe since armor does not mitigate any of hydross's damage? I could be wrong but i am pretty sure that is true.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Save gear you replace to use for your hydross sets. Other good pieces are the netherwing quest chain greens, and ogri'la shield. Anything with sockets definitely keep - you can put +4 to all resist in them if you still need to get up to 295, or +defense if you are still crittable.

I generally use green frost protection shoulders when I tank Hydross.

I wouldn't ever replace enchants on my normal gear. You should be fine just using any green resist items you come across.

It can be a tough call. The gems are intriguing, but when you figure they could be +12 stam, you give up a lot to pick up a little resist here and there.

One great tip I figured out was to go with the +15 resilience enchant to your chestpiece. The biggest problem you're likely to have in Hydross gear is staying uncrittable. As a matter of item budget, Resilience is a little more bang for your buck in accomplishing this goal. The +15 resilience will drop your needed defense from 490 to ~480, IIRC. That's like getting a +24 Def Rating enchant on your chest. Given that Chest enchants are fairly weak, sacrificing that +150HP for ~24 Defense Rating is about the best bang for your buck you'll get.

I also initially used my old Felsteel Gloves, with a +Def armor kit and 2 +Def gems to stay uncrittable (+~49 Def Rating on one piece). Once I figured out the chest enchant, it freed up enough rating to let me swap those for my regular tanking gloves, which made a massive HP difference.

Also, don't forget that you get 10 Def Rating from a flask, so you can still be ~3 short of your target Defense Number unbuffed and be safe.

Okay, I am just trying to get prepared for this in the near future and want to make sure I am going at this correctly.

I want to get around 300 frost resist, stay above the 490 defense cap, and have as much health as possible? Does that about sum it up?

Yes.

I'm not sure if I had the entire 490 defence at our first tries.

Anyway Hydross drops the Scarab of Displacement - which is nice for fighting him.

Try to get a fair amount of resistence - makes it much easier for your healers. Take green stuff, no need to replace shoulder enchants or re-gemming.

Kinda off base of the gear, but I was just wondering is there any limitations to a pally tanking this boss? I was not sure how wearing the resistance gear would effect his block and avoidance numbers and all that. We just want to make sure it is capable before we go equiping all the epic nature resist gear we built on someone and then find out it won't work. What are the reasons either way if anyone knows?

Pallies can tank this boss fine.. just get the epic plate armor and rings and maybe a few greens and they should be all set. In fact, we had a pally tank everything with ~170 unbuffed both NR and FrR, it was pretty amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordigen View Post
    Kinda off base of the gear, but I was just wondering is there any limitations to a pally tanking this boss? I was not sure how wearing the resistance gear would effect his block and avoidance numbers and all that. We just want to make sure it is capable before we go equiping all the epic nature resist gear we built on someone and then find out it won't work. What are the reasons either way if anyone knows?
    I do it every week, so it is definitely doable by a pally. I have done both frost and nature.

A warrior will have a bit of an advantage in terms of threat gen since we lose holy shield, but it isn't to much of a hit. With consecrate, SoR, JoR, Avenger's Shield, and AW as needed, he is no problem to hold. Plus, if the pally is alliance, they can use SoV at the transitions to help build a larger threat lead, and if they are Horde, they can use JoB to get a guarunteed hit on him at the transition.

Wearing resistance gear will have the same effects on paladins as it does warriors, so no real difference there.

Great, thanks for the help. Like I think I said, we put together all the gear and just wanted to make sure before it got soulbound. I work great with the warrior pally combo and since it was easier for the plate to get the gear, we wanted to use the pally over our druid tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordigen View Post
    Great, thanks for the help. Like I think I said, we put together all the gear and just wanted to make sure before it got soulbound. I work great with the warrior pally combo and since it was easier for the plate to get the gear, we wanted to use the pally over our druid tank.
    I would suggest giving the paladin the nature phase if possible. In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter which phase, but doing so gives the paladin a chance to set up for the transition with SoV, JotC, etc. Again, this is not required, but simply helpful.

I have a video (youtube quality) of tanking the nature phase, but it isn't a perfect kill. Our add tanks that night kept getting confused who got what add, so we had a couple running around here and there occasionally. Yay for ranged taunts. I can post the link if interested.

I have a question regarding the amount of resist required. I've heard several different things about the Hydross fight, but here's what I'm looking at.

In my NR gear I have 265 NR unbuffed, am uncrittable (though I've been told this isn't necessary) and have close to 14k health unbuffed. I'm assuming this is fine w/ a hunter in the group w/ AofW, but it seems like a lot of people are pushing for 300+ unbuffed. Now whether this is because they don't have a hunter/paladin in their group or it's actually required (I assumed 355 was the max resistance, making 300+ overkill) or if I'm just looking at it wrong.

Thoughts?

I went with 299 NR unbuffed, 490 defense (incl flask) and I think I had somewhere around 14k health unbuffed as well. It worked really well.

I think that my OT had 290 FR unbuffed and was uncrittable using a few arena pieces.

Hit these levels of resistance and I think that you will find that the tanks have the easiest job being healed. We went for an AoE approach to killing the spawned elementals and therefore the mages and warlocks had to receive most of the healing.

I went with 335 NR, about 430 defense, and around 14-15k HP unbuffed, worked like a charm for the last couple of months.

Installed CombatMonitor2 last week, and yesterday Hydross didn't even crit me once. Maybe luck, maybe not, but my healers can keep me up with ease anyway.

I did this as an NR tank with;

Crafted helm + nr
    Crafted chest (no enchant)
    Cloak (I think from the fel lasher thing in Botanica) with sta/resil and 15nr
    S2 shield
    Crafted legs with 30sta/15agil
    2 blue boe NR rings

18k hp buffed, uncrittable, 291nr.

I had no enchant for the chest but you can put an 8nr patch on there. Just happened that on the day there was no primal shadow on the AH so I never bothered with it. Farmed him maybe 6-7 weeks with this gear before moving out of SSC forever (yey!).

Remember to swap out any gear with block rating (Maiden gloves for T4 gloves for example) as it is -completely- useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Methadone View Post
    I did this as an NR tank with;

Crafted helm + nr
    Crafted chest (no enchant)
    Cloak (I think from the fel lasher thing in Botanica) with sta/resil and 15nr
    S2 shield
    Crafted legs with 30sta/15agil
    2 blue boe NR rings

18k hp buffed, uncrittable, 291nr.

I had no enchant for the chest but you can put an 8nr patch on there. Just happened that on the day there was no primal shadow on the AH so I never bothered with it. Farmed him maybe 6-7 weeks with this gear before moving out of SSC forever (yey!).

Remember to swap out any gear with block rating (Maiden gloves for T4 gloves for example) as it is -completely- useless.
    Block Value=higher shield slams, not useless.

On occasion I'm asked to tank Hydross when our MT is on hiatus for something. I sit at 290 frost resist and I'm grouped with a Shaman for 70 fr totem, I sit at 491 defense when prot spec'd. I've got all the crafted epic frost resist gear and some misc. items with fr.

Here's a list:
    Iceguard helm-with 16 def and 17 dodge enchant
    Pendant of thawing
    Warbringer shoulder guard-with 15 def and 10 dodge rating enchant
    Syranniss' Mystic sheen-not enchanted
    Iceguard chestplate-8 defense armor kit
    Pink mageweave shirt
    Boulderfist bracers of frost protection-12 defense enchant
    King's Defender-mongoose
    Shield of Impenetrable darkness-18 stam enchant
    Razorsong bow of the champion
    Felsteel gloves-8 def armor kit, enduring talasite, thick dawnstone
    Khan'aish girdle of frost protection
    Icegaurd legs-8 def armor kit
    Red havoc boots-12 stam enchant
    Amber band of frost protection
    Alexandrite ring of frost protection
    Adamantite figurine
    Dabiri's enigma

I apologize for not figuring out link tags.

Kez
    Last edited by Keza; 01-21-2008 at 07:13 AM.
    "serious walnut- crunching ass power" from: Merry Christmas, Bob, By Chris Shugart