+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear/Stats Questions

Gear/Stats Questions

I'm so happy I found this place! Thank you admins/mods for having a spot for tanking

As I'm starting to get more and more gear I've heard so many different things from different tanks and people in general. I had always heard a min of 510 def. Now I see here and have heard from other people 490.

Here is a link to my armory:The World of Warcraft Armory

I am curious about what stats I need to look into.

I dropped several blues yesterday and picked up my cloak and trinket from the badge vendor. It dropped down my defense to a hair under 490. I realize I need some better gems (+12sta to replace all of my +9). Is armor on cloak a better enchant or should I go with agility? I could also add my epic kara rep ring but it would take away my ring that has so much shield block and block value.

I'm to the point where I can tank everything in kara except nethersprite and price. What combination of ac/hps/block/parry/dodge does everyone shoot for? Is there a max to block/parry/dodge or a number that everyone looks to like the 490 def?

Thanks for taking the time to read - I'm ready to learn the next lvl of what exactly it is that I need

The uncrittable defense cap is 490.

Talents wise I would remove the 2/5 booming voice and 3/3 tactical mastery and take 2/2 improved bloodrage, 1/1 last stand (a life-saver) and possibly put 2 points in inproved shield wall, 2 secs is quite a time if you are taking heavy damage with few heals.

Replacing your gems (go with +12 stamina all the way with some +4def/+6stamina if you are still under 490 defense) and improving your enchants (get 12 stamina or 12 defense if you are struggling on your bracers) will boost your hp.

Unfortunately I think you have mis-spent a lot of badges. The devilshark cape would have been better than that and saved you 25 badges and while the trinket is good you could have saved another 41 by getting it at a later date when your gear is better. With the another 2 badges and the 66 badges you spent you should have gone for the shield (33) and the bracers (35) to provide you with bigger upgrades and ones you won't replace for a while.

Edit: +120 armor on cloak imho

I'm debating respecing - but for now just mainly curious over gear.

I haven't wanted to get the sta enchant until I get something useful for bracers - I except the first Kara boss to drop them anytime because I've never seen them drop. I figured it would be the day after I bought out the badges.

The trinket I knew was going to last me a long time. The shield I'll get after this weeks kara run. If devilshark is better I'll definitely look into it ty!

The big thing I need is the number for armor/hps/dodge/block/parry that's a goal for me so I know how to pick and choose what gear I come across and plan to throw some heroics into the mix.

Alot of you gear can be upgraded in Kara with some luck on drops, and then the badge upgrades when you can get them. I went with Slikk's cloak for 35 badges which adds more armor, more stam, and you get some def and dodge with it. I have devilshark as well, but the boost in armor and stam is really nice for the harder hitting bosses, and the small loss in shield block from either cape is not as big as the gains. I would hold off on some of the 12 stam gems unless it is a piece you are going to keep for a while, for example I wouldn't drop a 12 stam in your shoulders. Get the 18 stam meta gem for that helm. The violet eye ring is nice for the extra armor, stam and def too, even though it is losing some block stats. If you can get the 490 def without switching trinkets then I would keep your autoblocker and moroes, they are some nice mitigation avoidance trinkets.

I'm at 489 after upping my trinkets and cape. If you think violet eye ring is better I'll definitely equip that. I just upped my helm with the gem you mentioned.

Seems like 1agi from what I can find = 1 atk power, 2 armor, .05 dodge and .025 crit

So I'm debating the +120 armor enchant on cloak or the +12 agi. It seems like the agi one is meant more for dps.

The shoulders have got to go!

Seems like 1agi from what I can find = 1 atk power, 2 armor, .05 dodge and .025 crit

0 ap from agi the main reason people pick up the agi enchant is for the dodge, but the armor enchant will give you a greater time to live in every situation that dodge would have a chance to be used. For more info as to why (if you care) check satrina's evil empire guides.

Ok I've made some more changes. Add the legs and belt from Kara, the jade-skull bp from mech. I put the 120 armor enchant on cloak - thanks for the tips!

I'm in a debate right now if I should get the rep up and buy the shield out and use my badges for a bracer or just buy the shield out with badges.

Bracers of the Ancient Phalanx - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    Crest of the Sha'tar - Items - World of Warcraft
    Azure-Shield of Coldarra - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

My armory has my daily gear on right now

Buy the bracers and get the S1 shield...its better than the 2 you have listed as far as EH and easy to grind out in one weekend.

It looks like you are in a semi dps mode there, but the bracers are a nice addition from the badges. You will get a boost in def, armor, stam with enchant, and threat from the expertise skill there. Great upgrade there. I think if you are not going for the pvp shield, then the crest of shatar can have some future use from the high stamina, but the shield you can get from nightbane has all better stats than azure. Hate to spend badges and then get a free upgrade soon after. I would use the violet eye for now. It has good stam and armor on it and hopefully help make sure you get your 490 def. I will have to look at your armor later and see your tank set.

Yeah sometimes it shows up the gear I've farmed my dailies in even though I always switch to tanking before I log

I'm definitely not into dps or pvp only tanking pve. It's just a hard choice with the close stats on the rep shield vs the badge shield (im still 3k away from rep shield)

+ Reply to Thread