+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why is it good to be Passively Uncrushable?

Where can we find uncrush sets? I keep hearing that ZA plays a large part of it and so i want to see what i need out of there. I'm rather intruiged. And also, no one has mentioned the possibility of throwing on a shield spike to help with the TPS. If you're pushing such a huge % of blocks a shield spike would add up quickly. Especially on trash like Hyjal.
    Tanks: We like it rough.

uhh, check out tankingtips.com he reached uncrush with a set and even posted it.

It does however need to be tweaked because when he made it before, i think he was using the pre 2.4 malacrass helm which had sbr instead of defense.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

For a lower set of gear that is also uncrushable with the right buffs/debuffs, can check my current armory (but substitute commendation for scarab of displacement)
    Buffs required:
    Imp Mark of the wild, blessing of kings, elixir of major agility and either grace of air totem or agility scroll/food + insect swarm or scorpid sting.
    Or reenchant the chest with 15 def and wrist with 12def, grace of air and an agility scroll and you can wear commendation over the scarab of displacement

As for what bosses I use it on, supremus, archimode, bloodboil.

why would you wear an uncrushable set against archimond? he can't crush.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

And Supremus can't crush too.

Its for the avoidance not the crushability. The incoming damage in the set is extremely low. It happens to be uncrushable as a side effect. I was only posting it in this thread for reference.

And then i forget to log off in it .
    Gear (gem/enchant) is
    Destroyer Greathelm (12def 10% block value, 10 dodge/17 dodge 16 def)
    Darkener's Grasp
    Pauldrons of Abyssal Fury (15dodge 10def)
    Slikk's Cloak of Placation (12 dodge)
    Chestplate of Stoicism (5agi 7 sta/150hp)
    Eternium Shell Bracers (12 sta)
    Onslaught Handguards (10 def/15agi)
    Girdle of the Invulnerable (10dodge, 10 dodge)
    Sunguard Legplates (10 dodge, 18sta/12 agi 40 sta)
    Tide-Stomper's Greaves (10 dodge, 10 defense/9 sta run speed)
    Band of the Eternal Defender
    Ring of the Stalwart Protector
    Empyrean Tortoise
    Commendation of Kael'thas
    Unbreakable Will (mongoose)
    Kaz'rogal's Hardened Heart (12 def/18 sta)
    Rifle of the Stoic Guardian

The gear is not that unusual, simply gemed for dodge/defense and happens to be uncrushable with the right buffs/debuffs.

Edit: Forgot I had to change the socket in my chest to get my meta Still uncrushable as above.
    Last edited by Celandro; 08-07-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Are people still really playing around with this rubbish?

-Your threat suffers so the raid is gimped

-You take little damage till something goes wrong like a mob gets behind you or stuns you and then you get murdered

- You cant avoid alot of bosses special moves they are unresistable so you have to have an proper tank set anyhow.

Cant see the point really you have to have a true tank set anyhow why waste your time on this stuff unless you want to fraps some tricks.

Wear real tank gear let the healers do there job, dont gimp the raid dps and learn your trade, you are a meat shield you are meant to get hit.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by uglybbtoo View Post

-You take little damage till something goes wrong like a mob gets behind you or stuns you and then you get murdered

- You cant avoid alot of bosses special moves they are unresistable so you have to have an proper tank set anyhow.

Cant see the point really you have to have a true tank set anyhow why waste your time on this stuff unless you want to fraps some tricks.

Wear real tank gear let the healers do there job, dont gimp the raid dps and learn your trade, you are a meat shield you are meant to get hit.
    It's always nice having another point of view to consider, and I'm all for a more thorough discussion. So thanks

I have a very wide spectrum of tanking sets, with pieces shared between them, and gems, enchants and shields varying from one to the other. I have a pure EH set, which doesn't come out very often. I have a pure avoidance set, which doesn't come out very often. My uncrushable set is probably the only one I use as much as my generic avoidance/stam raid trash set.

It's nice being invincible sometimes. It's nice having another option when it comes to soloing, even the occasional elite. It's nice being able to sprinkle in some BV and take on Arlokk or Garr or AQ40 anubites. It's a thrill reliably winning duels against warriors and rogues, sometimes without hitting them at all!

When it comes to raiding, in most situations, you're right in that rage is limited, and thus threat is too. When it comes to bosses' special abilities, it comes down to having a knowledge of what is effective (gear and otherwise) for each individual fight. Stuns? Again, fight knowledge. Mobs getting behind a tank? Unless all one has geared for is armor and health, this is a problem that would stalk all tanks. I've found that, at least for me, this usually comes down to reflex. I see a mob heading towards my back, I'll reposition. Walls are useful too. Mobs rarely cause me any trouble by getting behind me.

You said "learn your trade". I think that most tanks who can become passively uncrushable understand their trade sufficiently. It isn't something that happens by accident.

Uncrhushability isn't something that is necessary for raid tanking, or even recommended for most fights due to the tradeoffs in other stats. It'll become much less useful in WotLK. However, it's comforting to know that it's there.

Thanks again for your input

Also, Veneretio: what's the purpose of that list of bosses in your OP?

Yep and you speak and act like a real tank ... and you are not whom my comments were aimed at.

Read some of the other comments and its like this is the holy grail of tanking and it's quite misleading to prospective newbie tanks and it shouldn't be in the "theory & articles" section it should be in a "tricks and toying around while bored" section.

My concern is newbie tanks who don't have as much knowledge as you would actually build this set first over the true EH tanking set they should be building first.

So if there are any moderators out there perhaps you might like to consider a new section or move this.

It's hard to build this set as a newbie. Newbies don't have access to any of the gear that makes it possible.

Bloodboil stacks Acidic Wound (up to 99 times, -500 Armour, 100 damage/sec per stack.) See where a super high avoidance set like, say, an (near) uncrushable set might be a tiny bit useful? You will never be starved for rage/mana in this fight for not being hit often.

Supremus: Hits hard, likes to put handy fire nearby for you to stand in for rage.

Archimonde: See Supremus, but you're also stance dancing and so have berserker rage up often. And threat is pretty much a non-issue for the fight.

(Neither Archie or Supremus can crush, but that's not the point.)

And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Timetheos View Post
    Also, Veneretio: what's the purpose of that list of bosses in your OP?
    First.. wow holy thread necro batman.

The purpose of the list at the start was that at the time I wrote this thread the concept of passive uncrushable was all the rage. I loved it to as the OP said, but I also was skeptical. As cool as the concept is, I simply wanted people to lay out what bosses they'd actually use it on. To this day, I've never actually worn a passive uncrushable set on a boss, not once. I've wrote about it before on my site as more a proof of concept than anything else, but as I've said numerous times on podcasts, comments and articles... it's definitely something that I classify more in the cute toys for bored prot warriors than something to actually strive for.

As to uglybbtoo, the set is a tool. You aren't going to wear it on a fight you'd get stunned. Being able to save that 10 rage you used to constantly spend on shield block definitely improves your threat a bit too which will offset a portion of the lower threat generated by the set. Saying that you're dead if a mob gets behind you is downright foolish since when was the last time a boss got behind you? Just b/c you don't like a concept or understand the use of it doesn't mean it's bad and certainly there's no reason to be dis-respectful.

At this time, I still struggle to find a boss I'd actually go out of my way to use a passive uncrushable set on, but what I do know is that many warriors once they're ready for SWP end up hitting Passive Uncrushable virtually by accident just due to raw stats.
    Last edited by veneretio; 08-08-2008 at 09:13 AM.

everything has a place.

Maintankadin :: View topic - How to Solo Garr: A Guide for Warrior and Paladin Tanks

Well, I'm not in the quest for uncrushability, I think a bit like you about the threat, and seen how incredibly fast increased the raid dps with the latest badge wellfare and high end instances, I do think that winning the race for threat makes dead bosses in many key events. I've test it and works rly well in my guild.
    I am yet to see a reliable PC set in the early t4/t5/ZA, and forcing one in that raid contest (not looking down from T6/SWP gear) is not very advisable imo. However, at higher lvl PC is reachable w/o losing much EH, but isn't that the very meaning of escalating lvls of gear?

When you started KZ from dungeons you looked for def cap 490, and as much stam/arm ou could get, as you keep moving forward then Threat/Avoidance/higher EH appears as the loot improved, next frontier is PC, w/o loosing much of the previous mentioned stats.

Why to push in encounters you don't rly need PC? Subconsciously I always hit SB, no matter the fight, 5 rage is cheap and it doesn't mess with GC.
    But let me ask, is not true that Revenge is tight to SB? so you will have less chance to use it if you solely depends on block rating, right?

"Oh but you have 2 charges of SB for few secs, when you lose them then you'd wish have a passive anticrush set "
    Not rly, only when i've been rly lazy or sleepy or terribly unlucky is when i've had a crush, and who cares, my stam is high and healers are good. And what's the fun on take away a little of randomness to the game (BWL: Razorgore ring a bell?), is a game remember, is not a mathemathical equation the one who tanks, it is you.
    Last edited by Daimon; 08-08-2008 at 12:23 PM.

You quoted the first line try three down

"Cant see the point really you have to have a true tank set anyhow why waste your time on this stuff unless you want to fraps some tricks."

That would be a trick to fraps

Because filling up your harddrive with a 4 hour video is going to impress people.

You quoted the first line try three down

"Cant see the point really you have to have a true tank set anyhow why waste your time on this stuff unless you want to fraps some tricks."

That would be a trick to fraps
    You are a Paladin. It's for Warriors. Happy now?

I find it truly sad that someone feels the need to attack a proof of concept.

I can think of three places off the top of my head where I want my paladin to be passive uncrush and it has nothing to do with Garr.

Most specifically: Dragonhawk adds, Tidewalker adds, and clearing the entirety of black morass in a single pull because someone needs more knothide leather/netherweb spider silk.

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post
    I find it truly sad that someone feels the need to attack a proof of concept.

I can think of three places off the top of my head where I want my paladin to be passive uncrush and it has nothing to do with Garr.

Most specifically: Dragonhawk adds, Tidewalker adds, and clearing the entirety of black morass in a single pull because someone needs more knothide leather/netherweb spider silk.
    Last thing is also the single biggest level booster there is. 10,000 XP per minute, unrested. Unfortunately you have to be level 66 and have completed the Durnholde main quest.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Quote Originally Posted by Alent View Post

Those are 70+/71+ mobs, you shouldn't be crushed by them.

+ Reply to Thread