+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Making the switch from MT to OT

Making the switch from MT to OT

Hi

I'm looking for some gear suggestions and stat-goals to better my OTing skills, as I got a rude awakening from my guild about how I should have "invested in a DPS OT set". (I was sub'd out of Gruul's because of this, and I want to ensure that it doesn't happen again.) I have a few pieces of DPS gear (like the [item]Vanquisher's Legplates[/item]) already, but it just doesn't seem to be enough.

As you can see my my armory listing below, I've got some Karazhan experience and a fair share of Heroics under my belt. MTing has never been a problem for me (unless the healer is the problem), but OTing for another better-gear'd tank was a new and very-much-a-learning-experience for me. Rage generation practically grinds to a halt. My damage is laffably diminutive compared to the other players, even when landing several critical strikes consequtively. My avoidance/mitigation is, of course, going to only further hamper my rage development, so I'm having to down-gear as an OT, which leads to confusing decisions that aren't always the right path to take.

So, based on this, I would appreciate any information (gear lists, stat/spec setups/goals, etc.) that would make me a better off-tank... cause I have to face facts - when I'm in a guild where the MT is leagues above me in gear, I have to learn my appropriate role - and this is the first step towards doing so.

Thanks!

I found myself in a similar situation. I've been MT'ing Kara for a while and am now spending a lot of time OT'ing because we have a paladin. It's not that he outgears me, its just he is useless when not tanking and I have DPS gear. If you are going to DPS in your current spec, work on your +hit until you are up to 140 then stack a bunch of str and your DPS should go from laughable to edging out a few of the lower end DPS. Doomplate can be a big help and you should be able to get quite a few drops your DPS classes already have while in Kara. For DPSing I go into zerker stance (unless I'm responsible for debuffing a boss or going to be taking a lot of damage) and use Devastate and Whirlwind. Duel Wielding will fix your rage starved problem and you'll find it difficult to not gain agro once your DPS gets higher.

My avoidance/mitigation is, of course, going to only further hamper my rage development, so I'm having to down-gear as an OT, which leads to confusing decisions that aren't always the right path to take.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Hopefully you already have a mod such as Outfitter and can easily swap sets of gear. You will basically end up with 2 completely different sets of gear and swap between pulls.

My situation is not yours, but I invested soem time in arenas in order to get a DPS set and focus my raiding on collecting my Tanking equipment. It may be a possability for you as well

All in all Dual Weild Devaste is very effective with some Crit and Hit behind it

Well, I've blown 14.6k Honor Points to get the S1 chest piece, and I see a huge difference already, combined with my Vanquisher's Legplates, Ragesteel Shoulders, Helm of the Horseman, and swapping out my rings.

(I made sure to log out in my DPS gear... I plan on getting the rest of S1 as it becomes available to me.)

So, what kind of stats are we looking at? Str/Agi/Sta, defense skill/hit rating/Crit%, etc.

Also, I want to keep using a shield... would a Prot/Fury spec be a better option, or would I be better off foregoing Devastate in favor of Sword Spec?

If you intend to DPS as Prot, drop the shield and go with Devastate/Whirlwind. Prot DPS is viable, but not with a shield.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Hmm... I have [item]The Sun Eater[/item] as my MH... what should I use for an OH in place of a shield then?

(Wouldn't this essentially make me fury-spec worthy, since I'd be dropping the shield in favor on another weapon? Would it be worth it to simply drop the upper-tier of Prot for 20+ tier of Fury?)

Spec recommendations welcoem.

12/5/44 is fine for DPSing as Prot. The downside with going Fury is that you can't tank raids.

You're only supposed to DPS when you aren't OTing... you shouldn't OT in DPS gear.

As for the weapons, I'd use two slow weapons (ala [item]The Decapitator[/item]), and at the very least, you need a slower main-hand than [item]The Sun Eater[/item].
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

OT Spec
    I assume you mean something like this?

In this specific instance, is Imp. Heroic Strike that great? I mean, I'm not going to be doing alot of rage dumping (I assume), and something like Imp. Shield Bash (for spellcasting trash) seems a bit more plausible as a "utility" piece in the raid.

Of course, by that same logic, I legitimize the use of Booming Voice/Commanding Presence, two of the worst talents...

/sigh

Why can't this be just a bit easier on us warriors? /QQ

Almost like that; I'd much prefer Improved Bloodrage over 2/3 Tac Mastery, but otherwise, it's spot on.

You're right, you won't do much rage dumping. But 12/5/44 is still a decent spec for OTs, especially if your MT dies and you have to take over. You could go with 0/20/41 for maximizing your DPS, of course, but I like Anger Management, and a 20/41 build lacks Deflection for MTing.

You'll want a slow weapon for OTing, by the way. Fast weapons are for maximizing Heroic Strikes; as an OT, you'll rely much more on Devastate, and slow weapons are best for that.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

Don't bother wasting points on a hybrid build, take your typical tanking build. For boss fights when you will not be tanking simply switch into a DW Fury-type gear setup (AP, crit, hit). You'll want a slow mainhand, as that will up your Devastate damage quite a bit. When dpsing as prot you simply go into zerker and spam Devastate, dumping rage with Heroic Strike. I have half blues and had a fast main hand last night when dpsing on Rage Winterchill and managed ~811 dps, a hybrid build is not necessary.

Aside from that I'm not entirely sure what other kinds of "OT" situations you're talking about. On Gruul himself, Shield Block Value and +hit are key when you're the OT, the strength of your raid's dps should determine how much stamina you need. Rage pots are a must (and standing in cave-ins if your healer is prepared :P).

Just have the ability to switch between your standard tanking setup and a Fury-esque dps setup when you're not tanking. The idea of "building aggro just in case the MT dies" is simply foolish, that could only possibly happen in Gruul's Lair and regardless should really not matter - if a guild brings an OT to be second on threat "just in case," the healers need to be looked at.

Some bosses are tauntable.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

Well despite not being the OP, I too am finding myself in this situation and so the information provided has helped me as well. Thank you.

Fortunately, I'm not worried about this anymore. My guild didn't like my opinions on the matter and decided to /gkick me.

Oh well. Already found another guild to call home, so whatever. This is still a good topic for up-and-coming tanks in larger raid guilds to learn by, so let's continue with the discusion

I recommend slapping the sun eater in your offhand and devastating with something slower (I had a vindicator's brand laying around).

For fights where I'm OT but need to maintain threat, I use a high block-value set and use slams on a low rage budget while maintaining debuffs.

In any raid situation where I'm not needed as a tank on a given pull, I switch to my [item]Nightfall[/item] and, if I have the opportunity before the pull, some haste gear. This is also useful if, halfway through an encounter (eg HKM), the mob I'm tanking is killed.

+ Reply to Thread