+ Reply to Thread

Thread: advice for a DPS speced pally

advice for a DPS speced pally

Ok, first off I play a rogue. I haven't ever played a pally but one of my friends does and he runs into a lot of problems getting PUGs. What usually happens is that he is in the qeue for an instance and when he finally gets a group they ask "Are you gonna tank or heal?" to which he responds "No, I'm specced for DPS." The usual response to that statement is something like "learn2play noob!"

My question is, is there anything wrong with speccing for DPS as a pally?

A lot of PuGs have the perception that paladin = healer. No matter what buffs Retribution gets, people will still believe this and want paladins in their group to heal. There isn't much you can do to change people's perspectives unfortunately.
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that it's not just my server that is full of people who don't take the time to research what other classes can and can't do. Personally, I take the time to lurk on forums for every class so that when I group with them I know what they can realisticaly be expected to do.

You friend should still be able to heal, because there will be times when there are absolutely no other healers available. However, I'm a firm believer in classes being able to play the role they want to play, so unless the group can't get another healer, it's not unreasonable to give him a chance at the role he prefers to play.

You can minimise this problem to some extent by running with your guild if you have enough people willing to go, because generally guilds are much more accepting of so called "off specs".
    Why use big words when a diminutive alternative will suffice?
    http://www.tankspot.com/photoplog/im...nnaxxramas.jpg

another alternative would be to gt him to start his own groups. Ret got some pretty good buffsand are about equal with enhancement now in terms of damage and utility.

Armory! And when Armory is down... Warcrafter!

Bloody knuckles, carving the path to freedom.

It goes the same way with DPS warriors though, most groups don't want a fury warrior to DPS. The only thing would be to start his own groups, or run with friends if he did not want to respec, but in the end, while I think peopel should be able to play how they want, it would just be easier to respec until he gets what he want/needs from heroics.

+ Reply to Thread