+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2.3 Prot DPS :D

2.3 Prot DPS :D

I was messin arond with the new Devistate last night in my fury gear. Lemme just say now, it rules. I was wandering between 400 and 600 DPS in some kara/heroic lvl gear fully speced prot. It was buetiful and it makes us MUCH more viable DPS wise. Of corse we have some major drawbacks with our massive amounts of extra aggro and what have you but im really happy with this. Have you all experianced the same thing?

Definetely noticed a big improvement, i'm loving all the changes we got.

I noticed that things die a lot faster now, even when I'm in my prot gear. It's a substantial buff for soloing, that's for sure.

Lol, prot dps is insane when dual wielding now. Proof, in fury gear, on Shade of Aran.

And yeah, I'm dead because all of our healers went down and I missed out on executing the last 3%. I could have done better if I had stayed up!

I did some dual wield DPs'ing, and actually had trouble not pulling aggro, and my DPS gear is somewhat lacking.

oh yeah. last night in a key run for a guildie in durnholde? I just went all out with two slow weapons whirlwinding, cleaving and devastating through all the trash. At the end of the instance, I was number one on the dps meter at 43%. The rogue, number two, was 30%.

Whirlwind and devastate ftw. But I could not stay below the tank for the life of me. The threat, really, is a nerf - this is only any good where we are not threat capped. The extra threat from devastate/sunder are still there in berzerker stance, even if they are lower.
    Melissa Theuriau is not a marmot.
    Armory

As long as the tank is a warrior who applies Sunder Armor, you won't get the Sunder threat once it's been stacked to 5. You'll still get additional threat from Devastate, though.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

anyone actually doing raid dps (Aran does not count) with protection build?

I'd say it's strangely possible, though you have no threat reducers.
    Armory

Kinda works against the idea of dps if you are a prot build doesn't it? Some of the best ability use is from either having no threat cap or being the main target(tank). The changes make grinding solo much easier if you go around dual wielding in fury gear.

yea our excess threat pretty much rules us out for raid DPS, but its still a nice side attraction that we can now do more damg then a gnat

Eh, we have always been able to top the charts of Shade as prot warriors by spamming devastate, so I do not think that is proof. Shade is simply a cloth mob that anyone can hit and 9-rage devastates with no cooldown rock him. But, it is a ton easier to solo now, both in prot and dps gear, especially with the added bonus of Whirlwind changes.

Forgive me my lack of dps knowledge, I've only ever been good at tanking.

I just started seeing the using devastate for dps on shade when I normally can only hit maybe 250ish dps using mostly HS. Granted my dps gear is not great. A mix of blues and some greens, the helm & ring from the hhm.

So I should be in dps gear and just spam devastate?

Any other abilities and which stance should I be in preferably?

If I have to interrupt I should be in zerker stance and I have no tactical mastery so should I just stay in zerk for that fight?

For the Shade, basically you have the right idea. You should be zerker stance, because you need interrupt him, probably either frost or fire spells, depending on how your strategy is setup, and the fastest interrupt we have is Pummel.

Since there is no real aggro table to worry about for this fight, you can put on the DPS gear and go all out on him. In the mean time, while you are tanking in kara, pick up every dps item you can that no one else needs. You will get dps gear drops faster, in almost all cases, than tank gear.

You will want to keep up battle shout and sunders (easy now with devastate changes), and keep interrupting. You should be able to dual wield and have enough rage to constantly spam devastate, and use whirlwind when it is up.

Depending on how the raid handles elementals when they spawn, you can adjust your gear. You do not want to fall too low on hitpoints, but you should be good if you have 9k minimum. You really do not need to worry about changing stances in this fight, which is a good thing because so much else is going on.

1032 DPS as a Protection Warrior.
    No consumables of any sort, just trinkets, Recklessness, Bloodlust, totems and LotP.

Nuff said

So I should be in dps gear and just spam devastate?
    Devastate is always preferable to Heroic Strike for DPS, actually. The rage cost of Heroic Strike is horrendous, especially with a slow main hand (which you want for Devastates).

Briefly, use Devastate as your main attack. Use Whirlwind if you're getting more rage than you can dump with Devastate (frequently the case on Shade of Aran). Use Heroic Strike only if you're getting more rage than you can dump with both.

DPS gear is advised. That means not just items that have DPS stats on them, but also appropriate weapons. Enchant your gear. Use appropriate consumables and buffs if you really need to be competitive in DPS. Fury warriors and rogues don't just top DPS charts because of their class and spec, but also because they give their DPS gear the same attention we give our tank gear. Think about how much stamina you'd lose without enchants -- now translate that experience to DPS gear and attack power/hit/crit rate.

If I have to interrupt I should be in zerker stance and I have no tactical mastery so should I just stay in zerk for that fight?
    For Shade of Aran? Basically, yes. You still want to have enough health to not be a healing liability and to survive after the Pyroblast. I switch to defensive for picking up elementals, though (they do have a normal aggro table).

When we were doing Kara I pretty much got #1 dps on shade in almost every attempt, occasionally being beaten by a rogue.

DPS (Fury) gear, berserker stance and spam devastate. Use whirlwind when its up, and if you get a ton of rage use heroic strike (like if he arcane missiles you)

I did Gruul in my dps gear as 8/5/48. I was tickling the threat but I couldn't quite hit the threat cap while in zerker stance. On fights where it's just 1 tank hunters usually lay on enough MD to boost tank threat well out of my range.

I didn't top the charts but I did manage to land around middle of the pack (of dpsers, not counting tanks/healers). Given my weapons and gear I was very satisfied. Obviously we'll hit the threat ceiling before a fury build ... and dps won't be quite as good even below the threat ceiling. But the ability to do viable dps is very nice.

I haven't done any number crunching but I am suspecting that if you have mostly STR gear (not AP) vitality and imp 1h might scale better than imp zerker + rampage. I even think maybe devastate scales better than BT since I can hit it 3+ times for the same cost and do about the same damage and then still have time to hit it 2 more times before BT would even be up again.

The tie breaker is Flurry (as always).

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowson View Post
    yea our excess threat pretty much rules us out for raid DPS, but its still a nice side attraction that we can now do more damg then a gnat
    that gnat totally had it coming, yo.

I even think maybe devastate scales better than BT
    Totally.
    Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Beertap View Post

1032 DPS as a Protection Warrior.
    No consumables of any sort, just trinkets, Recklessness, Bloodlust, totems and LotP.

Nuff said
    Nice, you should really give the Rogues some grief. :P

We did Kara yesterday for a quick badge run and yeah, Prot DPS is fine on Aran. 20 % total damage done and no1 on the meters. Our rogue who is also our 25 man raid leader was a little bit shocked to be beaten by his main tank To be fair, my fury gear isn't shitty and devastating with a dragonstrike produces quite nice numbers.

+ Reply to Thread