+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protection DPS Cycle in 2.3?

Protection DPS Cycle in 2.3?

I'm the main tank for my Guild. We've got Karazhan on farm and are nearly there on Gruul. Occasionally I like to take a backseat to my Off-tanks and give them a chance to do some main tanking while I (don't laugh) DPS. I'm trying to maximize my DPS and can't seem to nail down a solid DPS cycle (which abilities to use, etc).

Here are my specs in DPS gear (All unbuffed, no shout):

8434 HP
    1680 AP
    143 (9.07%) Hit
    23.45% Crit (In Berserker stance)

I'm dual-wielding a Fool's Bane and Malchazeen with Mongoose enchant on both.

I don't have Tactical Mastery. Should I DPS in battle or berserker stance? Would dancing between berserker and battle stance for Overpower hurt my DPS?

As I see it, I have Heroic Strike, Cleave, Devastate, Overpower, Whirlwind, Vistory Rush, and Execute as my offensive abilities.

Which abilities should I use? Are there any I shouldn't bother using? Is there a solid "DPS Cycle" for the above abilities? Any other tips for maximizing DPS when protection specced?

Thanks,

-Thornin

There is only really one "solid" method of maximizing DPS as Protection, and that's by pretending to be Fury.

Get two slow weapons (daggers are a no-no), stay in Berserker Stance and spam Heroic Strike, Devastate and Whirlwind.

You can deal respectable DPS in that manner.

[item]Fool's Bane[/item] is nice enough, but [item]Malchazeen[/item] is simply not worth it. You should replace it, with for instance another [item]Fool's Bane[/item], or [item]The Decapitator[/item].
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Out of curiosity, other than Whirlwind hitting with both weapons now, what's the harm in having a Dagger in the off-hand?

There's no *harm* in it -- there's just not a real benefit, either.

Prior to 2.3, it didn't really matter. With the Whirlwind change, though, a slow off-hand is a must.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

+ Reply to Thread