+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2.3 Prot DPS :D

I was dps'ing as the backup tank on Akil'zon yesterday and my dps rivaled our t5 rogues and I"m wearing mostly merciless gladiator gear with Fool's Bane / Malchazeen combo. Its always nice to see.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

We went and downed Zuljin last night, and there were 3 tanks in the group. The druid and I went dps.

I was #2 dps overall And it wasnt just due to phase 3, I was #2 before that too. Prot dps ftw, just pretend youre fury.

457 dps tanking Void Reaver last night, my old record was 360. (And the 360 was with a lucky threat drop just as he hit 20%, so I was able to execute the rest of the way.) The other prot warrior was at 430, our threat was way out in front of the raid, and we beat our previous best time by over a minute.

Al'ar without a million taunt resists was a lot less ulcer-inducing, too.

I'm liking this patch more and more.

I got 463 dps on VR last week, we got him in 7 mins 4 secs. (Wouldve got under 7 but a few died near the end).

Is there a thread you can point me towards that specify which stats to aim for with dw prot? Focus on str or AP? I'm guessing crit isn't as important since I lack the fury talents that it would proc.

Right now this is what I've got in zerker stance.

1166 ap
    135 hit
    21.37 crit
    5 expertise

Armory has been flakey lately but I'll logout in what I've been using for dps gear. It's pitiful I know I look so much better in my tanking sets

The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Bonerot View Post
    Is there a thread you can point me towards that specify which stats to aim for with dw prot? Focus on str or AP? I'm guessing crit isn't as important since I lack the fury talents that it would proc.

Right now this is what I've got in zerker stance.

1166 ap
    135 hit
    21.37 crit
    5 expertise

Armory has been flakey lately but I'll logout in what I've been using for dps gear. It's pitiful I know I look so much better in my tanking sets

The World of Warcraft Armory
    not to my knowledge; but my instincts say to get hit to a baseline of 11% or so, then get AP up to 1600 or so, then work on crit. from then on out, you are balancing crit and AP up higher and higher.
    Melissa Theuriau is not a marmot.
    Armory

it is pretty sweet... with kara/t5 crafted/2-3 quest blues (rings and whatnot)/quest rewards i hit the 893 DPS mark on a kazzak kill.... im dying to see how ill do in shade, with his crappy AC <3
    Last edited by uruloki; 11-23-2007 at 08:23 AM.

I think the changes were particularly fitting for the Zul'Aman patch, as different fights require 1 or 2 tanks, while still requiring the raid squeeze out substantial DPS. Bringing 2 prot warriors is not as crippling to the DPS as it was in vanilla Karazhan. I've let a lesser geared tank MT the Eagle since I have much better DPS gear. Both times we've done it, I've been among the DPS leaders and also ended up tanking him after the MT died.

Prot DPS is an absolutely essential skill for any Prot warriors after the MT to justify getting a raid spot.

yea, i can't believe how good prot dps is now. i had the oppurtunity to do it tonight on shade, and my devs were critting for 900 with mallet of the tides. I was amazed ~.~

1st post so hello everyone.

I just wanted to add I was a former feral druid and decided to roll a tank to help out my friends who have mainly been support spec for the better part of 2 years. Anyway I hit 60 and asked around including my current guild about prot and everyone said dont do it this that the other.

I had my buddy whip up a spec "former prot war himself" I tried it out and I am really pleasntly surprised. While I was expecting the worst I come to realize I can pretty much kill endlessly, sure I need to stop every so often and if i get 2 mobs its a bit hairy but for the most part i enjoy the spec.

I just came from a Ramparts grp with a 61 Ret Paladin 62 Rogue and 64 Prot pally I came in 2nd place behind the prot paladin. Although the Stance dancing is a pain in the fingers I am pleased to say I am glad I use this spec.

Props to Prot

Wow Web Stats (anonymous log - Khamsa would be me)
    i got to dps rage winterchill yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. my fury gear is a mix of blue dungeon drops/epic crafts and some kara/ssc/tk/bt loot.
    weapons used were the decapitator & the brutalizer.

+ Reply to Thread