Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Halazzi (Lynx) Boss. Help Needed

Halazzi (Lynx) Boss. Help Needed

My guild pushed into Zul'amon on Tuesday night, downed the first boss, then were kind of at a loss for where to go next. We decided to move to Halazzi and ended up wasting two hours on him. Our best attempt was 52% before we ran out of mana with our healers. To put into perspective, these two healers were able to live through the entire nightbane encounter with just the two of them while only going oom at the very end. Needless to say, they know how to conserve their mana.

Our biggest problem was dealing with phase 2 where he splits into troll and lynx form every 25%. How do you deal with the totems?

Our group makeup was 2 prot warriors(Drakmora and Klor), 2 rogues(Declis and Inightmarel), 1 warlock(Grisend), 1 mage(Irmadeus), 1 hunter(Bigshoota), and the three healers were Safyre, Crowquills, and Hado. All are on the Zuluhed realm if you'd like to check their armory. As you can see, gear for ZA is not an issue. Was it perhaps our burst damage? We used the /target corrupted macros, but could not seem to dps the lynx down fast enough while keeping the totems at bay. Add on top the flameshocks that the troll does as well as earthshock(which is not described anywhere else that I have seen. If you get him too close in troll form to the healers or casters he will earthshock them.) Please, if anyone has any advice or might know what we were doing wrong, I would love to hear it.

For those that do not know the fight, its basically a phase fight much like Nightbane. In Phase One, he is a combined form of the lynx and the troll. It is a fairly simple straightforward tank and spank phase with both tanks needing to be infront of the boss just like the troll form of Nalorakk. It splits the shadowlash damage amongst both tanks, dealing ~9000 damage to each. He also enrages every so often. It can be dealt with by using transq shot from a hunter. Its rather rough to heal through and eats mana alive if not removed. At each 25% interval, he splits into a troll and a lynx. The tactic is to nuke the lynx (though this is only what I have read, maybe the troll has less hp and less armor and can be nuked faster.) while dealing with the totems and the flame shocks that the troll form drops. The party needs to spread out because these are chain lightning totems. Also, as i mentioned above, if you get him within shock range, he will shock your healers with earthshock. When you get either form to ~20%, they will merge once more. Keep in mind, each merge and split is a threat dump, so be careful and let the tank get agro.

You basically repeat this until he is at 25%, in which he berserks dealing 50% more damage and attacking 50% faster. He is rather squishy in this form though, so it should not be a problem. Just keep the tanks topped off incase of a shadowlash and its game over. Oh, also from what I read, at this point he starts dropping the phase 2 totems and shocking as well. (Though, like i said I have not made it to this point, this is only from what I have read.)

A couple of things I forgot to add. This boss also does not crush. Though, I would recommend still using shield block as it adds more damage mitigation throughout the fight. Every little bit helps and as it seems to be a healer mana intensive fight....yeah....
    Last edited by klor; 11-15-2007 at 08:20 AM.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

How many totems is Phase 2 lasting? Have you tried killing the troll instead of the lynx? (we find that much faster)

We did him on Friday and it took a few attempts before we got the strat down. We had no hunter and myself and a bear tank. The bear was the main tank since the boss, like you said, can't crush. When he split, I picked up the lynx and brought him near the troll and we all DPSed the lynx down as fast as possible. The reason we brought the cat close to the troll is so that the rogue we had could quickly switch to the totem when it was dropped (usually near the troll) then hop back on the lynx.

I don't know what kind of healers you had (Armory isn't working for me atm) but a shaman on raid heals is very nice. The trick is to call out when the totems drop and have all dps stop what they are doing and hit it. I even threw a couple Shield Slams and Cleaves on it. The totems dying is your #1 priority in those phases since neither the lynx nor the troll hit very hard.

We just nuke the totems ASAP. Tanks, DPS, everyone but the healers. Just treat them like the chains in the Illhoof fight. We also tank the 2 side by side so we can cleave/sweeping strikes/bladeflury both Bosses. We always kill the Lynx first, never tried it the other way, so I cant really comment on which is easier.

At least based on my group experience, killing the lynx spirit is slightly faster. As for the totem thing... well, not much I can say that hasn't already been said Burst them down with everything you've got, and burn down the spirit as fast as possible so you don't have to deal with too many totems :X
    This is my signature.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    How many totems is Phase 2 lasting? Have you tried killing the troll instead of the lynx? (we find that much faster)
    you can do that? hmmm

From what I read, the troll has 400K hp, the lynx has 200K... And for the comparison between this fight and Illhoof...yeah...my kara group does not kill illhoof for this very reason We cant ever burst the chains down fast enough for some reason. We haven't really tossed another attempt at him since that night as we decided to move to the eagle boss instead...but thanks for the advice and i'll let everyone know when we do.
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better

I have seen the fight both as a healer and a tank and had about the same success as Klor. We have been DPSing the cat when it appears. Totems are eating us alive. Flameshock is tearing us up too. grabbing the Lynx when he pops can be tricky before he takes off after a healer. Pally tank makes this easy, drop a consecrate and he'll stick.

That said, totems chewed up both thoise groups I was in. I think we'll have it with some more repetition but it might be worth our while to try DPSing down the troll instead of the Lynx. I know they have a big health disparity but some folks were saying the troll is alot squishyier. /shrug
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

From what I hear eventhough the lynx has considerably less HP the Troll has a lot less armor and therefore dies quicker even with more HP. I don't know it's more of a choice for each group to make.

...the totems were taking u down? most of the time i cant live through the huge hits the bastard gives :/ id think t5 gear would be enough but oh well... guess i have to bitch some more to my healers....

If you can not kill Illhoof because of no burst DPS, then you will have trouble on something like this totem. Instead of 1 healer healing 1 person, you have 3 healers healing two mt's and the raid. It is a quick way to go oom. I did not check armory's as It was loading to slow for me to continue trying, but if you have two rogues and they can't drop the totems very quickly by themselves they probably need to be replaced, that is truly the reason you are wiping to him, his dmg otherwise is manageable provided the offtank stays put to ake saber lashes.

We ended up trying him again, had him at 35% and our hunter died to a totem/flameshock....I died shortly after that from a nice frenzy/saber lash...

And wow...you can't tank him in t5? o.O I'm doing it in 1 piece of tier4....the rest are dungeon epics from kara... :-/

Definately blame your healers!

Did it again last night on the tank and again, the totems ate us alive. We stuck to the boss and didn't switch off to the Lynx Spirit, just OT'd him and stayed on the boss. His damage is manageable but dammit he hits fast. Healers have to be very quick and HoT's are important. On the last pull of the night I got rocked and I'm in full T4+ gear (19Khp/18K armor buffed)

Going back tonight on my resto druid with a stronger group and an similarly geared tank (guild MT, in fact) I think we have a shot at knocking him out.
    your hat may be nice, but I have the little white tank top that says Legendary right across my boobs. I win. (or more correctly, H wins)

Quote Originally Posted by uruloki View Post
    ...the totems were taking u down? most of the time i cant live through the huge hits the bastard gives :/ id think t5 gear would be enough but oh well... guess i have to bitch some more to my healers....
    2 tanks have to be standing on top of eachother otherwise you are going to die. Quite literaly on top.

TOTEMZ, well hi illhoof and FLK, your rogues really should be able to take those totems down. Myself and an enhancement shaman were taking them out no problem then back to DPS. Maybe your rogues just arent paying attention? The fight really isn't a DPS race so hopefully your rogues wont care about toping the damage meters, that sets groups up for all kinds of lose. Never had any difficulties with him 1 shot first attempt, first day.

The basic comp we had was a pally, a priest, a resto druid, a hunter, a warlock, Druid n Prot Tanks, an Ele shaman, and a rogue i think (i was PvP spec'ed but with BF :3). I used the macros to target the totems, we attacked the troll and that was it. I think the phases lasted 3 or 4 totems. The rogue, hunter and me took down the totems and the rest just keeped hitting the troll. Took us a while to get the strat, but's basically that.

I havent seen anyone mention but everyone is using Tranq shots on the troll right?

Anyway this is basically a Jindo fight if you ask me. Totems-Lynx-Boss should be your DPS order. Make sure everyone has a /tar macro for the totem, to pick it up when it spawns immediatley. I havent tanked the fight yet, due to the armor or lack there of on my tank.

Must admit I went into last night to ZA quite scared of the lynx boss - guild cormfortably walks Kara but no further than Gruul (a couple of times) in 25mans. We killed bear (one wipe caused us to miss the timer, killed eagle for our second kill ever and then four attempts later lynx was dead This is not an "its so easy thread" but rather just to say that with a good group of people none in T5 and most in kara/heroic gear lynx is possible.

We had druid tank, prot warrior tank, druid healer, 2 holy pallys, 2 mages, hunter, shadow priest, warlock. Due to his large agro range we tanked him near the door and everyone else ran round and stood in a semicircle very spread out. Druid MT'ed - I was on thunderclap and demo shout duty as well as taking the saber lashes. Hunter misd'ed the lynx to me - I also used a /tar spirit macro to help pick him up - this took some practice and in the first two attempts led to our tree being killed and then of course the tanks died.

All dps stayed on the boss, tried to take the totems down as quick as possible (using /tar macro) - tho our shadow priest found that they were immune to his spells, so he stayed on the boss. Fight took 6 and 1/2 minutes no idea whether that was fast or not. We tried killing the lynx but since our druid had gotten the boss to 84% or so by himself in the time it took us to kill the lynx we swopped to the boss, it also meant that ranged didnt have a problem with getting out of range as the boss stays still.

One of the big things is for the healers to swop quickly between healing one tank fulltime and the other just after lashes to raid healing in p2.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

I think the key is to have quick reacting Melee DPS to take care of the totems. These should go down within 2-3 seconds if your melees aren't sleeping. The faster you kill the totem the less raid healing is needed from your healers.

You have to dps fast and hard.

I've done this encounter both as a tank (19.5k normal gear and buffs to 21.5k in full sta and buffs gear) and as a healer (33/0/28 druid with 1650HP and 230mp/5s unbuffed), and we had no problem killing him. Took us one pull with the main group the first time we met him, and two with some alts and a non-optimized group. We also did it without a hunter.

That's why I think the key to this encounter (more than the gear level, except if you're trying him wearing full blues) is the DPS output your melee can provide.

Our approach is straight forward and we all have Kara/T4/Arena gear.

Phase 1
    - Dps Lynx, with both tanks standing on top (literally) of each other
    - I (warrior MT) prepare for phase 2 by ensuring that there is no global cooldown.

Phase 2
    - Thunderclap and Demoralising Shout to catch Lynx
    - Let the OT (druid) tank the Lynx (still standing on top of me)
    - Kill priority 1: Totems (esp corrupted lightning). We usually have enough burst dps as I like to take 2 mages and 1 melee to ZA.
    - Kill priority 2: Lynx

Tanking the lynx as a warrior

I've been having some trouble off tanking and picking the lynx up quickly enough he seems to spawn on different sides of the boss and the little sucker is fast. I haven't been able to get him and he 2 shots our priest and our shammy...I wondered if any other wars who have completed this task have any advice for picking him up quickly with no collateral damage