+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Important thoughts on 2.3 and tanking numbers.

Important thoughts on 2.3 and tanking numbers.

Well, we all know Blizzard has supposidly removed weapon skill from the game. We clearly see the implications for player vs mob. But what about mob vs player?

Think for a moment if you will. 490 defense was/is considered the point at which a tank will become 'uncritable' This is because we determined that 1. 490 defense provides -5.6% chance to crit, and 2. raid bosses have a 5.6% chance to crit a player at lvl 70.

The thing that interests me is how we determined the boss crit %. We know that all mobs have a base 5% chance to crit. So where did that other 0.6% chance to crit come from? Well it was determined that each point of weapon skill provided 0.04% chance to crit. We also knew that each level you gained, you gain 5 weapon skill. Knowing this, we could assume that a mob at lvl 73 (raid boss) would have an additional 15 weapon skill. Multiply that by 0.04% chance to crit per weapon skill and we got 0.6% increased chance to crit.

However, Blizzard has told us that weapon skill is no longer in the game. What does this mean? Does this apply to only players and not mobs? Do raid bosses no longer have the additional 0.6% chance to crit players at lvl 70?

I have no idea, but seeing as how this is the place to talk about such things, I thought I would speak my mind about it.

Any ideas, or theories are welcome. I just want to get the community talking about it and figure it out. Maybe im way off base of the implications weapon skill has on PvE mobs and someone is going to come and smarten me up. Who knows but lets figure out :P

As far as I see it weapon skill still exists in the game in obvious ways (ie. you still need skill to use weapons and still get skillups when using them). The 5 weapon skill per level is not weapon skill as an item modifier (which was removed) but rather the innate ability to gain 5 more ranks in that skill due to leveling up. Obviously mobs do not need to actually level their skill up but are rather assumed to have maximum skill for their level.

Quote Originally Posted by Temig View Post
    As far as I see it weapon skill still exists in the game in obvious ways (ie. you still need skill to use weapons and still get skillups when using them). The 5 weapon skill per level is not weapon skill as an item modifier (which was removed) but rather the innate ability to gain 5 more ranks in that skill due to leveling up. Obviously mobs do not need to actually level their skill up but are rather assumed to have maximum skill for their level.
    So you believe weapon skill still exists, we just do not see it on our character sheet any longer? I guess this would be true. Under our skills tab I believe we still have weapon skill for specific weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by skdal View Post
    Well, we all know Blizzard has supposidly removed weapon skill from the game. We clearly see the implications for player vs mob. But what about mob vs player?

Think for a moment if you will. 490 defense was/is considered the point at which a tank will become 'uncritable' This is because we determined that 1. 490 defense provides -5.6% chance to crit, and 2. raid bosses have a 5.6% chance to crit a player at lvl 70.

The thing that interests me is how we determined the boss crit %. We know that all mobs have a base 5% chance to crit. So where did that other 0.6% chance to crit come from? Well it was determined that each point of weapon skill provided 0.04% chance to crit. We also knew that each level you gained, you gain 5 weapon skill. Knowing this, we could assume that a mob at lvl 73 (raid boss) would have an additional 15 weapon skill. Multiply that by 0.04% chance to crit per weapon skill and we got 0.6% increased chance to crit.

However, Blizzard has told us that weapon skill is no longer in the game. What does this mean? Does this apply to only players and not mobs? Do raid bosses no longer have the additional 0.6% chance to crit players at lvl 70?

I have no idea, but seeing as how this is the place to talk about such things, I thought I would speak my mind about it.

Any ideas, or theories are welcome. I just want to get the community talking about it and figure it out. Maybe im way off base of the implications weapon skill has on PvE mobs and someone is going to come and smarten me up. Who knows but lets figure out :P

This is something I had honestly not considered. It's a very good question. I'm hoping Satrina can run the numbers with the CM2 Beta.

I would assume Temig is correct in his assumption. But these kinds of hunches have uncovered several unknown changes in the past.

This very thing has indeed crossed my mind. I agree with Temig and also believe that weapon skill hasn't gone anywhere except as something we can raise through gear. I don't imagine we will suddenly have no more "Your skill in Swords increased to 23" messages as we level up.

It needs to be tested to be sure, of course. That's a motivator to get CM2 ready.

Weapon skill is definitely still in the game.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Does anyone know if the weapon skill vs mob defense still works the same way?

So that with 350 wepaon skill our chance to miss vs a mob is:

Lv 70: 5%
    71: 5.5%
    72: 6%
    73: 9%

Is it still 9% for a 73?

intriguing, but based on Temig's post I have to believe its still in the game, they just removed the +skill ability on racials and gear because on players it gave an unwanted messy benefit to our hit/miss/dodge/parry numbers. They just wanted a cleaner and easier to determine method to do such things and thus they removed the +weapon skill effects in the game.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

+ Reply to Thread