+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Prince.. uncrushable in Phase 2?

Tanking Prince.. uncrushable in Phase 2?

I'm currently MTing in Kara and I know I'm going to have to tank Prince soon. Since Phase 2 seems to be the hardest on tanks, is it worth it to go uncrushable against him during this fight?

EH gear = 13k hps/armor
    Uncrushable = 11.5k hps/12k? armor 79% avoidance

you're able to reach 102.4% total avoidance/block without shield block? (I guess with a 24% innate chance to miss you might have it)

If not then you're not uncrushable.

11.5k means you'll die from regular hits let alone crushes.

I'd say find some sort of balance around 12.5khp while maximizing your avoidance since prince dual wields would be ideal.

The best thing you can do is just be ready to do everything you can to stay alive come phase 2

drink armor potions, use consumables, and put on your old adamantite figurine and click it once phase 2 starts. If your hp takes a dive, last stand, if you're almost dead, use your last stand. first time fighting him will be a bit tough, keep sb up, and just be quick to use your utilities.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Yes, I'm able to reach 102.4% avoidance/block without shield block (only in Phase 2 with the 24% chance to miss). I've watched another tank try and fail with EH gearing that is better than mine. I'm thinking 102.4% avoidance in Phase 2 will even out the encounter (and trust me I'm doing my best to give up as little EH as possible)

Would you mind linking an armory? If you are still working on Karazhan I'm curious how you are pushing those kind of stats.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gul%27dan&n=Kream

Edit: avoidance gear on now

I'm also getting a +15 block rating enchant thrown on my spare shield and I'm going to be flasked for the fight.
    Last edited by Kream; 11-07-2007 at 04:03 PM.

I've seen a tank with nothing but pre-KZ gear (and who wasn't passively uncrushable) tank Prince to sub-1%.

Point being, while the tank's gear is a big factor in the fight, so are your healers'.

Go for the passive uncrushable -- it'll help more in this fight.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

I added up your stats and came up 4.4% short of a full deck so unless you have a hunter in the raid (who can relibly keep up the 5% miss sting) this isn't an option.

TBH id stick with max EH and pray your healers know what SPAM means and if you get half way into p2 pop shield wall and bring iron shield pots. =)

Your idea might work though I am just saying i don't like chancing anything...

Nicki's right; the DW penalty is only 19% miss, not 24%.

The last 5% is covered in the 79% you have.

In that case -- go for EH.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

no its not that I included it as 24% but im still 4.4% short of 102.4% avoidance...maybe hes wearing different gear. I just don't see risks as good options.

you lose atlest 100 stam and 400 ac..

What i see is:
    7.12% miss + 24% mob miss
    21.6% dodge
    19.19% parry
    26.12% block
    =98.03% avoidance
    if your buffed with block rating enchant I can see you getting to 101% tops so my original maths was off it is 12 am after all. That is still a 1.4% chance for things NOT to go right.

I also factored in an agi buff and +10 def from a flask. Do I need to get to 78.4% avoidance or 83.4% avoidance? Is the base 5% miss calculated in the 24% miss penalty on DW?

Edit: I used TankPoints to check it against a level 73 boss mob (adding in the agi and def)

On the other hand, your armor's a touch low...Stoneshield Pots would be a huge help, at least during Phase 2.

Just as a note, Elixir of Major Agility provides more avoidance than any Flask.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/item-info.xml?i=28262 with +6 stats is 20 health and .71%

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32652 with two green shiftings and 15 BR is another 2.68% for the cost of 19 stam, or 2.75% at the cost of 15 stam with blue gems.

Next tier shoulder enchant would be another .77%
    Agi to boots instead of 7 stam should cover the rest.

That is, to get you passively uncrushable, at all times.

With raid buffs and debuffs you certainly are now, and could probably actually reduce your avoidance for more stam depending on what raid buffs you can count on.

Grace of Air = 2.56 - 2.95 dodge
    Mark of the Wild = .47 - .63 dodge
    Kings = .52, .82, .87, or more dodge, depending on the above buffs or more.

Hunters sting is 5% and druids insect swarm is another 2%.

It's really not hard since the boss being a Dual Wielder gives you a 19% bonus; paladins have to get within 35% as is, and can do that in blues. All you need is that 16% in between.
    Last edited by WarDaft; 11-07-2007 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks for all the great responses.

I swapped out my block rating trinket for a +def trinket since I had a touch of breathing room (unfortunately not enough to throw some sta in). My stats according to TankPoints (after adding 69 agi for Elixir of Major Agility + Wild + Kings):

Health: 11494 (didn't factor in any buffs)
    Armor: 12765 (+ agi bonus = 12903)
    Miss: 12%
    Dodge: 23.77%
    Parry:19.07%
    Block: 23.84%
    Total avoidance: 78.68%

Tank points is showing me taking 15% crush and 6.3% normal hits.. this should make me uncrushable right? I would think this number would need to be 19% for some reason..

I won't have a hunter available, and I think its too sketchy to rely on a totem for Prince so I didn't factor that in.

I'm thinking with only a 23% chance to get hit at all in Phase 2 and 45% chance to get hit the rest of the time I may be able to survive.

You have to add on the 24% miss in tank points, if it then shows crush 0% you are..

I still see the problem as your armor is really gimped and so is your stamina.

The miss rate for DWers is 24%. That means they get an additional 19%.

I'm sure TankPoints covers the 5% base miss chance.

You need to hit 83.4% fully buffed versus a non-DWing level 70 mob to be passively uncrushable versus a DWing boss.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ

yes tank points will cover the main hand 5% miss so adding 19% as said to tank points calc is correct..

So I put the block rating trinket back on and it brings me to 19.16% chance to get hit. I'm going to have to rely on either improved mark of the wild, insect swarm or a grace of air totem to take out that .16% chance of getting crushed.

So I tanked Prince today with the uncrushable set. It worked really well actually. The low hps is a disadvantage but the healers really prefered the avoidance set. Phase 2 was much easier. We didn't down him tonight (unlucky infernal spawns + DPS learning curve) but healing wasn't an issue. Some extra agi from agi food pushed me over the edge into uncrushable and hopefully for next week I'll be able to get some new gear that will bring my hps up to something more reasonable than 11.5K hps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kream View Post
    So I tanked Prince today with the uncrushable set. It worked really well actually. The low hps is a disadvantage but the healers really prefered the avoidance set. Phase 2 was much easier. We didn't down him tonight (unlucky infernal spawns + DPS learning curve) but healing wasn't an issue. Some extra agi from agi food pushed me over the edge into uncrushable and hopefully for next week I'll be able to get some new gear that will bring my hps up to something more reasonable than 11.5K hps.
    I'm glad it's going better. Overall Prince is going to be brutal as you continue to fill out your tank gear from earlier in the instance. You should certainly find badges gear to help out alot when gearing up, so stay on those Heroics and look forward to next week as badges start to drop from Kara. New Bracers/New Cloak/Ring/New Neck are all great items for very few badges. Shield/New Belt/New Pants are wonderful items if you have a large number of badges.

Jade Skull Breastplate is also a very good chest through nightbane. Overall I think you can get him down with your current gear if heals and infernal spawn all come together really well. As you upgrade gear it will make it a whole lot easier.

+ Reply to Thread