+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Kael'thas Phase 5 woes.

Kael'thas Phase 5 woes.

Im just looking for some information from tanks that have defeated Kael'thas. Last night my guild and I successfully made it into phase 4 routinely and after getting the staff buffs and breaking mc's figured out, we moved into phase 5.

A few things happend this phase that I was unsure about. A lot that I've read states that the phoenixes still spawn, but, during gravity lapse when everyone is in the air, they despawn pretty much making them a non issue for the phase. However this didnt seem to be the case.

Another real problem and more in line with tanking was the nether vapor. I was main tanking Kael and noticed some very strange things about this. First of all It seems to have a range much greater than 8 yards from Kael himself. After finding that out, I quickly moved further away to avoid it. Gravity lapse ended the first time with me at 7,000 hp 13,000 less than my raid buffed hp. Never the less we made it through that to the next gravity lapse and the debuffs fell off. I was sure to keep away from kael till we all fell to the ground. At which point I ran back to kael only to find myself with 3 debuffs of nether vapor instantly on me after having fallen back to the ground, and a second later, 6 debuffs stacked on me.

That strikes me as something bugged. I've read that it takes 5 seconds per stack of nether vapor but I was somehow getting up to 6 stacks within a second, and that once gravity lapse is over, its supposed to be gone.

Anyways im just looking for some info on nether vapor in phase 5 and how tanks best deal with it, and picking kael up again after the gravity lapse fades.

Thanks.

The phoenixes (phoenii?) don't despawn during gravity lapse, they just become inanimate and don't do any damage during that time.

Also, the nether vapor isn't necessarily something that is a set distance from Kael'thas. There are pink clouds that float around (they're kinda hard to see because of the color of the room), but if you look directly at the floor you should be able to see them (they usually don't stray too far from where Kael'thas is standing). I usually stay about 20 yards away from him until he starts casting his first fireball, then I run in.
    http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3012/paum1rp8.jpg

"As fish go, the naga on the loading screen is pretty hot." - Ciderhelm

Yeah there are two ways to get the nether vapor debuff:

1) Be in/near a cloud floating somewhere in the room.
    2) Stand on/near Kael, he has his own cloud aura thing.

When gravity lapse ends, if he is still casting his chain lightningish thing, the aura is still there. You need to wait until he starts casting his first fireball before you move back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Float View Post
    Yeah there are two ways to get the nether vapor debuff:

1) Be in/near a cloud floating somewhere in the room.
    2) Stand on/near Kael, he has his own cloud aura thing.

When gravity lapse ends, if he is still casting his chain lightningish thing, the aura is still there. You need to wait until he starts casting his first fireball before you move back in.
    This is incorrect. The only way to get the debuff is to be in or under a cloud. What you are probably referring to is a cloud near him that gave you the debuff. I regularly am beating on him while he is still bubbled, before he starts casting fireballs.

The best way to see if you're in/under a cloud is to look at the ground. There will be a pulsing circle and sometimes a shadow. Just pay close attention and find a clear path to Kael.

You beat on him through his immune shield? Ok...

And Kael definitely always spawns a cloud on top of himself.

Yes. It says immune, but I'm still hitting him.

Point is, you can get into melee before he starts casting fireballs and I suggest that you do.

Considering he doesn't wipe aggro, doesn't move while casting, can be interrupted at range, and can debuff you if you step incorrectly I would definitely not advise anyone learning Kael (or farming Kael for that matter) to run in while he's still casting Nether Beam.

MT need to wait for the clouds to despawn before stepping into melee range. I was Sanguinar tank, so all my job in phase 5 is to have the dagger debuffx5 as fast as possible. My damage is stupid low but my HP is rather high, so I usually went to melee Kael even with clouds floating around. That way I could interrupt him without risking any melee dps, and could put the debuff before all casters started nuking him again.
    Yes, I risk my life, but in P5 Im expendable :P

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

You can go into melee range right before he fireballs and eat one vapor. Its not going wipe you, however it is very easy to play it safe and stay out until he starts casting fireballs and just click your shield as he is casting to give healers time to adjust.

+ Reply to Thread