+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small question about the cave-ins on Gruul

Small question about the cave-ins on Gruul

Because I get tunnel vision when I'm tanking this encounter, I really have a hard time checking this myself. I was wondering if the cave-ins that Gruul dumps on you eat shield block charges. I tend to at least get one or two crushes, sometimes at the dicey high-growth portion of the fight. I'm pretty fastidious about keeping up Thunderclap and Shield Block, though my system is a bit on the slow side and I wonder if bottlenecking isn't causing a bit of client-server lag between the time I hit Shield Block and the time the server recognizes it.

During the early parts of the fight I'll just eat the cave-ins and I've never noticed it eat Shield Block charges.

Shield Block lasts 6 seconds, but it has 5 second cooldown. When it has about 1~2 seconds left on cooldown, just mash that button to ensure it stays up. You can even delay some of your other abilities to ensure you'll have enough rage.

Oh, I most certainly hit it every time it comes off cooldown. I wonder if it wasn't some naughty melees or pets causing parries, or just some bad luck with positioning after a Shatter.

Make sure to keep an eye on Melee and those Pets. I had to literally yell in vent telling them to get behind Gruul. Sometimes people just mindlessly push buttons and forget about the consequences of not paying attention.

During Shatters I almost always run away from Gruul, mainly because our Melee just stays there DPSing and I'm not willing to kill them and myself. But I did read that if you're right next to him during a Shatter, it's very easy to get crushed after it breaks since you probably won't have enough time to hit Shield Block before he hits you.

I should clarify that I usually land in the middle area, about at the range healers stand, and only intercept to him if I'm expecting Hurtfuls rather than being his primary target. What I meant was that it's possible that either a melee parry happened during the time I back around in a circle to get him into the middle again, or I was slightly out of sync while moving him and he got "behind me."

It's very possible that you turned your back in such a way, that the angle produced between yourself and Gruul was your back. Which is why I never try to run through him or strafe trying to position him, I try to move around his radius and then run backwards while facing him.

I wasn't aware that Gruul has the same parry mechanic. This might explain why I seemed to drop so quickly last night ... guess I was parry-whacked before the healers could help.

+ Reply to Thread