+ Reply to Thread

Thread: OTing in Kara - Rotation/advice

OTing in Kara - Rotation/advice

I'm trying to figure out if I am doing something wrong in the way that I OT in Kara.

I seem to be able to take all the hits easily enough (490/12k/11K) in defensive gear and i have a EH set also but haven't been using it as no health issues so far.

The problem I have seems to be Threat generation.

On Moroes i basically play the fallover tank. IE 2 on moroes 1 on DPS target and 3 in CC. Now if we choose to only kill 1 and swap to moroes it would seem that i lose 2nd slot on threat after about 80 seconds. Now obviously this is annoying as once moroes blinds the MT now he runs after our DPS/Healers. Normally the lock because he pumps out 700+ DPS. I don't seem to be rage starved.

What can i do different?

Dual wield when mobs are not hitting you?

Should i put HS & BT into my cycle?

Is Demo Shout/Thunder clap bonus threat or will it be less than a sunder?

Thanks in advance

Actually, one of the sweetest strategies my guild uses is we have one of the melee mobs beating on the off tank. Keep your shield block up so you aren't taking all that much damage, load 'em with sunders, and then swap to Moroes and use all of that rage that the mob beating on you gives you and dump it on Moroes. Whenever he vanishes it gives you time to continue to build threat on that mob and when Moroes pops back out you start building threat on him again. The best case scenario is if its the Prot warrior as one of his adds, doesn't hit for much, and gives you plenty of rage to use. Disarm the MS warrior if you get him and thunderclap to take the sting out. Spell reflect the ret pally and just hang through it. I've been OT for that fight many many many times in both dps and prot specs with this strategy and it gives the raid one less add to have running around while trying to keep the others CC'd.

Anywho, good luck.

What Baceramus said, works great we always do it that way with a warrior OT.

I was going to suggest that, but he mentioned that rage wasn't an issue.

Only thing I can really say is make sure your rotation is good. If you're prot, make sure SS is always on CD, revenge when it lights up, and sunder after that. If you get up to ~50 rage, HS.

whoops forgot to put that I am running on a full 44/17 Fury spec. I don't particularly want to put any points into prot.

Basically i run up and chain sunder while keeping Demo and TC up. I blow bezerker rage on engage and then bloodrage after i get my basic debuffs up. I'm only taking agro when MT is blind so i could throw in the 2nd weapon while i'm not taking hits.

as i say io just seem to be losing the threat race. am i doing the most threat that i can?

You shouldn't be tclap or demo as the OT if the MT is also a warrior. If the MT is a druid then they ought to be the OT since they can generate an insane amount of threat without agro.

Quote Originally Posted by fastidius View Post
    whoops forgot to put that I am running on a full 44/17 Fury spec. I don't particularly want to put any points into prot.

Basically i run up and chain sunder while keeping Demo and TC up. I blow bezerker rage on engage and then bloodrage after i get my basic debuffs up. I'm only taking agro when MT is blind so i could throw in the 2nd weapon while i'm not taking hits.

as i say io just seem to be losing the threat race. am i doing the most threat that i can?
    Hmm, in this circumstance I'd say not to dual wield unless you are seriously lacking rage, when Moroes turns to you he'll chew through your HP fast without a shield especially when enraged. The rage can be solved by having another easier hitting mob on you through the fight as I've mentioned above. A good OT raid spec should include at least 15 points into prot so you never have threat issues(last stand, imp shield block, defiance). However if you dont want to respec then try tossing in HS whenever you get your rage over 40 and put Bloodthirst in where SS would be for the rotation. After that its just crap tons of sunders and if you have another mob on you toss all of your revenges on Moroes as well. So long as you can keep up a BT>Revenge>Sunder>Sunder rotation you should be fine, if you stay dual wielding then try to pop zerker and WW if you have a safe moment to start laying on more damage.

Video of a fight I was in, shot by rogue doing dps on targets but keep an eye out for the warrior with fiery(yes, yes, I know, shut it! =P). Anywho, did this as MS and as you can see I had an extra mob on me that took the raid getting him to 10% to pull off and still kept 2nd aggro on Moroes.
    Last edited by Baceramus; 11-02-2007 at 06:27 AM.

A fury warrior is not going to be able to keep up with DPSers with a shield on. You either need to dw and hope you can get the shield on before you get instagibbed, or you'll need to ask them to watch their threat.

I OT Moroes all the time. We usually do what people have recommended, and have one of the adds beat on me for rage. It helps if the DPS is on the adds and not Moroes. Then you just have to worry about out-threating the healers, which shouldn't be an issue. Last night I was able to focus almost primarily on Moroes (my target was designated to go down last), and ended up getting threat on Moroes, stealing him from our Pally tank. I'm pretty sure I ended up saving the raid though, because previous to me pulling agro, Moroes was being flaky with his agro.

+ Reply to Thread