+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is the best rotation for Prot warriors?

What is the best rotation for Prot warriors?

After some mad shoutbox spam I thought why not make a topic about it. Well here it is. After some good pointers I knew not to use HS in it .

The rotation I always use is: SS > SB > Revenge > Sunder > HS > Sunder. On trash skip SB a lot. So how do you guys rotate your attacks?

On trash: ……………………………………

On Boss fights: …………………………..

One more thing, when the mob has 5 sunders, should I use dev in the rotation and don't sunder anymore?
    Carefish - Fury Warrior - Chromaggus EU

As I understand it you should only really be doing Dev over Sunder if your weapon does around 300 damage per Dev. Only way you'll be doing more threat than Sunders but keep in mind that when you do that you are doing damage which Sunder cant claim to.

Edit: Ah, Norrath has it right, you need to clear 300 threat which means a weapon damage of 200. Thought something was screwy about my math.
    Last edited by Baceramus; 11-01-2007 at 06:47 AM.

On trash: SS > Sunderx5 (Revenge whenever it pops up) > SS
    Depending on our spec, if you have imp SA, then just keep sundering. Sometimes if my rage generation isn't great due to mitigation/avoidance I may stance dance to hit zerker rage before going back to rotation.

On boss fights: Aggro > BR > SB > SS > Revenge. I Only do Sunder if SS or Revenge are unavailable and always spam SB. My build I don't have Imp SA since I spec mostly for boss fights for my guild so I go to Devastate once 5 sunders are up. But SS and Revenge always gets priority for me unless the 5 sunders are about to drop off of the monster (like 33% duration left). Also, I throw a TClap in there depending how fast I get rage, if the boss isn't giving me much I end up doing it later, if I'm getting great rage that lets me queue HS constantly, then I try to TClap earlier for the healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Baceramus View Post
    As I understand it you should only really be doing Dev over Sunder if your weapon does around 300 damage per Dev. Only way you'll be doing more threat than Sunders but keep in mind that when you do that you are doing damage which Sunder cant claim to.
    Incorrect.

Once you do around 200 damage with Devastate (after armor), the threat generated will be equal to that of a Sunder.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

Thnx for the input guys, i'll work something out with my macro's
    Carefish - Fury Warrior - Chromaggus EU

Quote Originally Posted by Norrath View Post
    Incorrect.

Once you do around 200 damage with Devastate (after armor), the threat generated will be equal to that of a Sunder.
    If you have 3/3 Improved Sunder Armor, it has to be 300 damage. If not, 200.
    EDIT: To clarify, with 3/3 Improved Sunder Armor, Devastate has to do 300 damage (200 damage otherwise) to be more rage efficient than Sunder Armor.
    On trash the rotation should be:
    SS > Revenge > Sunder > Sunder > Repeat
    Once 5 Sunders are up, use Devastate. Even if it isn't hitting for over 300 damage, it can (and will) crit.

For bosses, the rotation is the same but you should keep Shield Block up on cooldown.

I don't use rotations because my GCDs are so screwy with high latency. Instead, I prioritize things to hit.

1) Shield Block (Omitted on trash, I need the rage to hold against the DPS)
    2) Shield Slam (If it's not on cooldown, it should be)
    3) Revenge (high TPS, low rage cost)
    4) Sunder/Devastate

I use heroic strikes liberally, frequently below 30-40 rage. While the advice given is that heroic strike should be used when rage >50 as a rage dump, I figure that a high initial threat burst gives more breathing room in case you hit a dodge/parry string on your aggro abilities. One Shield Slam missed/avoided and I'll start dumping in heroic strikes to smoothen out the threat line. It's also a very nice insurance move to make sure mobs/bosses that have just spawned/aggro wiped (Nightbane anyone?) don't eat healers after one ability misses/dodged/parried.
    "I played hard to avoid mistakes, but now I can play hard to capitalize on opportunities." -Arold, on the 3.0 Protection Warrior.

My personal rotation in a six second span is this. Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate > Devastate > Repeat. During this rotation I Heroic Strike when ever rage permits. I don't even Thunderclap Demo shout or Sunder anymore thats the fury warriors job which works out quite well since he is always threat capped.

Quote Originally Posted by Finelle View Post
    I don't use rotations because my GCDs are so screwy with high latency. Instead, I prioritize things to hit.

1) Shield Block (Omitted on trash, I need the rage to hold against the DPS)
    2) Shield Slam (If it's not on cooldown, it should be)
    3) Revenge (high TPS, low rage cost)
    4) Sunder/Devastate
    I have the same problem, and I try to do the same as you =)
    I get really frustrated when I lose my timing because of the lag.

+ Reply to Thread