Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So I wanted to one man tank Kara ...

So I wanted to one man tank Kara ...

Due to a number of reasons it turned out that we were short of tanks so I decided to try tank Kara alone (no dps tanks).

Attumen - no problem
    Moroes - fun to avoid the gouge but it worked really well.
    Maiden - only requires one tank, so no problem
    Skeletal ushers - worked with a few deaths in the raid
    Romeo and Juliet - no problem

Now the problem, Nightbane.
    I just could not seem to control all the skeletons in the airborne phase. Our tactic has always been to have the raid collapse as he takes off, and for the tanks to get some agro (thunderclap etc) before the raid moves to a distance. I mark one skeleton for killing before moving to the next.

However, I could not seem to keep them all under control. Eventually one or two skeletons would break free and go for the raid, resulting in my charging all over the place. Once we almost had him before giving up after 5(!) wipes.

Curator - We quickly did him before stopping.

Conclusion
    I imagine that all the bosses are doable without a second tank (maybe with the exception of Netherspite). I wasn't expecting any problems with Nightbane and would be keen for any input or ideas.

The skeletons are tough if people can not assist, I have tanked the whole zone myself, save netherspite where I had a hunter swap red beams with me.

Skeletal ushers are easy pick up these http://www.wowhead.com/?item=5634Our Alchemist fixes it for me every time we pass them, shackle the other and no whipes posible. They last like 30 sec. After one is down let the OT pick up the other and use his pot. I tried it once by tanking both using this pot, the dps needs to be high and then it's doable. Don't use the pot till he has lost some HP, normaly he doesnt trap you @ the beginning of the fight.

BTW got a movie about how you did Moroes with only one tank, I want to try it tonight :P. Got some pointers?
    Carefish - Fury Warrior - Chromaggus EU

We almost always only have one tank for nightbane. As MT I try and make sure I have a full rage bar when nightbane takes off - we group up and I spam thunderclap and demo shout (while keeping nightbane targetted - odd probably but it works for me). We have one MA - dps warrior (if we have one) or a mage/lock, and the dps single target them down - while remaining pretty close together. With 10secs to go before landing I run to his landing spot ready to pick him up.

Only time we've lost dps is when a lock decided to try out seed of corruption and pulled agro on all of them, but as long as they are single target nuked it shouldn't be a problem.

To my mind moroes is far more of a challenge for one tank.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

The oly problem with moroes with one tank is if he gouges as he comes out of vanish, this generally does not happen. So long as you have a few seconds for positioning after vanish it is not difficult at all. That just means position people at max range, and move away from melee when he vanishes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    ... we group up and I spam thunderclap and demo shout (while keeping nightbane targetted - odd probably but it works for me)
    Can you clarify something for me - When Nightbane takes off do you run to the ranged spot or let them come to you and wait for the skeletons?

I think that the next time I single tank this I will just keep the entire raid with me whilst I crowd control and let someone else assist tank the skeleton to be killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    To my mind moroes is far more of a challenge for one tank.
    Moroes was easy enough but Nightbane a pain - I guess that I was too used to have a feral druid with me to help.

Ya in Nightbane is definitely not one of the hard parts of solo tanking Kara. Illhoof is more of a pain than him by far.

Too bad they fixed Moroes At the beginning of Karazhan I was able to solo tank him using stance dance ... It doesn't work anymore now ... =/

I run halfway to the ranged group and they run the other halfway - this means ranged is not too close to him when he lands
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

I've 1 man tanked most of this instance too.

What we do for Nightbane is instead of collapsing out, we huddle on X.

We just stack everyone on top of myself and the next best OT we got (when no dps warr is around we grab a paladin who does consecration) this prevents me from having to move much, and we just single fire burn everything down fast. Its stressful on healers though since a lot of people get hurt at once, just make sure whoever gets cursed runs out.

Other than that, I think our last kara (this past week) went almost exclusively without a 2nd tank. I wouldn't recommend it, because frankly having an OT for some fights is nice and more securely, and imo, the OT can pick up on loot that you don't need to gear out for another tank position (whether it be another kara group or when you get to 25 man raids). It doesn't hurt really, it only benefits the guild as a whole.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

I've solo tanked it. If your tank has decent gear and is half-competent, it's completely doable. We even had a Shaman and a Pally stand in the "tanking" beam for Netherspite. My two cents on the topic.

Last week's kara I was only tank.

I jumped in first beam
    Ele shaman jumped in after me

2nd beam
    holy paladin took first half
    other holy paladin took 2nd half

its just shield bearers with high armor work best.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Have you ever tried just aoe the adds on Nightbane? We always use this "tactic", if we got a mage that is a plus but not a must. Only thing you need to really do is to chill and take it easy, put a shield slam there, CB there and a revenge there and keep it going. After 5-6sec start nuking (During these seconds, let the dps nuke down your main shield slam target). Works like a charm every time.

And for Netherspite, you can take one beam for your self as I'm sure you are aware of, a hot tip is as I also saw already mentioned, take a hunter for the next red beam with Aspect of the Monkey enabled. As long as you and the hunter keeps moving in and out of the beam, it will all be well.
    However, one downside of this is ofcourse that Netherspite will stack up on red debuffs = harder to kill, but just keep it steady and you will surley beat the enrage timer with ease.

Morose I usualy take help from a hunter staying second on threat and just kiting moroes up the "balcony" and then jumping down forcing moroes to run around, this gives me enough time to pick him up.

/Thorium

Nightbane is a one tank fight. How did you do the others and have problems on him??

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    Last week's kara I was only tank.

I jumped in first beam
    Ele shaman jumped in after me

2nd beam
    holy paladin took first half
    other holy paladin took 2nd half

its just shield bearers with high armor work best.
    One tank can easily take the red beam for an entire cycle. They need to go in 5 seconds, out 7 seconds, in 5, out 7, roughly. It doesnt have to be precise, just dont stay in too long. So 50% of the time he'll have between 1 and 7 stacks. Thats like 2% less daamge taken overall. Negligible.

We have the MT and OT do red and green in the fight, and flip off (in green, to not mess up anyones mana). Near the end of the fight, casters who are low on mana are allowed to take the green beam from us, but they must keep it.

I wonder if the 2 min cool down pvp trinket would allow you to 1 man Moroes?

Quote Originally Posted by juggernauth View Post
    Too bad they fixed Moroes At the beginning of Karazhan I was able to solo tank him using stance dance ... It doesn't work anymore now ... =/
    He can't gouge if your back is turned to him (bit more stressful on healer). So I just just spin attacks, largely when shield slam was off cooldown.

Thats not true. He still gouges with your back to him...
    [2-07-08 08:57 AM] Enelrad: hahaha, that and you're ugly! Ugly tanks tank better
    [3-19-08 02:23 PM] Enelrad: Im really a 12 yr old boy from GA
    Notice: You are currently banned from the shoutbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorium View Post
    Morose I usualy take help from a hunter staying second on threat and just kiting moroes up the "balcony" and then jumping down forcing moroes to run around, this gives me enough time to pick him up.
    /Thorium
    Seems like a viable option

Quote Originally Posted by klor56 View Post
    Thats not true. He still gouges with your back to him...
    Gouge or garotte? I did not get one gouge using the spin attack approach. Maybe I was lucky.