+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gear Comparison - EH/Avoidance

Awesome list! I wonder if you could include some or all of the gear from http://www.theoryspot.com/forums/gea...gear-list.html in your rankings; so that those of us who are new to level 70 can evaluate our gear. For example, the Felsteel set seems to be better in both respects than the Warlord's green set that you have listed at the moment.

awesome

amazing list, thank you!

you might want to add new loots from 2.4, check them out at mmo-champion.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timetheos View Post

SSC [item]Scarab of Displacement[/item] 0 | 2.1%^ | 2.8%^^
    --------
    ZuA [item]Ancient Aqir Artifact[/item] 0^^^ | 1.9% | 1.9%
    --------
    Also I am curious how you calculated avoidance. I think ZA trinket > SSC one (more parry+dodge %), but according to the list SSC one is better.

Thank you

Here are the details from my notes on items:
    Code:
        Scarab of Displacement (Hydross the Unstable)
          42 def, use for 165 def -330 ap / 15s (3m)
          2.13% avoidance (0.71% each of dodge, parry, miss)
        Ancient Aqir Artifact (Zul'Jin)
          45 pry, use for 2500 arm / 20s (2m)
          2.00% avoidance (2.00% parry)
    Calculation I use for avoidance is:
    Code:
             Avd = 0.12 * def / 2.3654 + ddg / 18.9230 + pry / 22.4 + agi / 30

I formatted my computer recently and haven't moved any of my relevant files over yet.. I'll look into this though. Parry doesn't scale nearly as well as defense though; 42 def is quite definitely better than 45 parry.

As to 2.4, I won't be adding anything until it goes live.

could you please add in the new badge loots?

Looking forward to comparisons of the new gear.

I'll add the new gear when I get sufficient free time. I don't play WoW any more and have been quite bogged down with my programming, but it will be done as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay.

Edit: disregard the whole "don't play WoW any more" bit.
    Last edited by Timetheos; 05-14-2008 at 07:22 AM.

any news on the ETA of the update? Can't wait for the new items to be included

I've been working on spreadsheet to replicate what this list is doing, but all my math is coming out slightly different from the values here.

Here's the numbers I'm using currently:
    Code:
    New Total Effective Health:
    (Base_Health+Item_Stamina*10*(1+Stamina_Bonus))
    -----------------------------------------------
                    (1 - (Mitigation))

Mitigation = ((Base_Armor+Item_Armor*(1+Armor_Bonus))  
                  ----------------------------------------     *  (1+Defensive_Stance_Reduction)
              (Base_Armor+Item_Armor*(1+Armor_Bonus)+11960)) 

Armor_Bonus = .1
    Stamina_Bonus = .05
    Defensive_Stance_Reduction = .1

Avoidance = Item_Defense*Avoidance_Per_Defense+Item_Dodge*Avoidance_Per_Dodge
    + Item_Parry*Avoidance_Per_Parry+Item_Agility*Avoidance_Per_Agility

Avoidance_Per_Defense = 0.00051
    Avoidance_Per_Dodge   = 0.00053
    Avoidance_Per_Parry   = 0.00045
    Avoidance_Per_Agility = 0.00033
    Where .01 = 1% avoidance

Block = Item_Defense*Block_Per_Defense+Item_Dodge*Avoidance_Per_Dodge
    + Item_Parry*Avoidance_Per_Parry+Item_Agility*Avoidance_Per_Agility+Item_Block*Block_Per_Block

Block_Per_Defense = .00068
    Block_Per_Block   = .00127
    Can you post your equations or point out where my numbers are wrong? I've set my spreadsheet up so I can change what gems are used, paladin/warrior, base armor and hp values and such, but its no good if the math is wrong.
    Last edited by Davi; 05-04-2008 at 01:01 PM.

I've added 2.4's gear. Please let me know if there's something I've neglected; I'm sure there's an obscure quest reward or recipe I missed.

I haven't recolored the list yet, though, for two reasons. Firstly, I'm not sure if what I did was the optimal way of organizing the new gear, since the difficulty levels necessary to attain it, and thus the quality of each piece, varies considerably, from a normal 5-man to the highest raid in the game. Until I figure out what to do here I won't recolor the list. The second reason is that I'm not sure my colors entirely agree with the new light backgrounds of the site, so I'll probably need to devise some new coloring system. These issues will be resolved soon.

Again, I apologize for how long this took.

Quote Originally Posted by Davi View Post
    I've been working on spreadsheet to replicate what this list is doing, but all my math is coming out slightly different from the values here.

Can you post your equations or point out where my numbers are wrong? I've set my spreadsheet up so I can change what gems are used, paladin/warrior, base armor and hp values and such, but its no good if the math is wrong.
    Here are my equations:

EH = (HP+13k)/(1-((AC+14.5k)/(AC+14.5k+11960))) - 28760.86957
    (This determines the difference between 13/14.5 EH, and 13/14.5 plus the stats given. The subtraction at the end is the 13/14.5 EH)

Avoidance without block = def/2000 + dodge/1892.3 + parry/2365 + agi/3000

Avoidance with block = def/1500 + block/790 + dodge/1890 + parry/2365 + agi/3000.

And why the hell are my two dodge rates different? No idea how that happened. All my avoidance stats are potentially off by 0.01% (assuming less than 220 dodge rating on any given piece of gear). Remedying this is a project for another day though, I think.

The spreadsheet I'm using is here (Excel). It isn't nearly as customizable as what you described... if you finish yours, I'd love to have a copy.

-Colors have been changed; they are now darker to reflect the forums' lighter backgrounds.
    -Illidan loot is now categorized as Black Temple loot.
    -Loot from the new 5-man, normal and heroic, is now listed under "Tier-4 raids, equivalent, and earlier" with the other 5-mans.
    -All gear is now recolored to accommodate the new gear from 2.4.
    -Any uncolored DPS gear has been removed from the list.
    -My oversimplified, generalized and opinionated suggestions for when to focus on which stat at the beginning of the post has been removed.
    -Because I ran out of footnote superscript symbols, I've moved all proc/use effects to the items themselves, following the base stat on the item and divided by a '/'. Example:
    Cra [item]Figurine - Dawnstone Crab[/item] 0 | 1.6%/8.21% | 2.13%/8.74%

I feel that this was the best way to fit the new gear in with everything else, based mostly on how the stats compare to those on other gear in each bracket. This method also serves to make the whole thing fairly consistent.

New ranking gear:
    2.4:
    SwP [item]Collar of the Pit Lord[/item] 1393.8 | 1.25% | 1.67% (New best in EH)
    Rep [item]Shattered Sun Pendant of Resolve[/item] 1061.94 | 0 | 0 (New second best in EH)
    SwP [item]Pauldrons of Perseverance[/item] 3579.14 (68) | 1.75% | 6.38% (New best in EH, best in blocking)
    BoJ [item]Chestplate of Stoicism[/item] 4042.43 (39) | 4.77% | 5.62% (New second best in blocking)
    SwP [item]Onslaught Wristguards[/item] 2306.57 | 3.65% | 4.13% (New best in EH, best in avoidance)
    SwP [item]Borderland Fortress Grips[/item] 3405.54 | 5.05% | 5.55% (New best in EH, best in avoidance, second best in blocking)
    SwP [item]Onslaught Waistguard[/item] 2925.1 (56) | 3.74% | 4.14% (New best in EH, second best in avoidance)
    SwP [item]Onslaught Boots[/item] 3434.66 | 4.32% | 4.73% (New best EH, best avoidance)
    BoJ [item]Ring of the Stalwart Protector[/item] 1436.4 | 1.48% | 1.48% (New best in EH)
    SwP [item]Ring of Hardened Resolve[/item] 1409.08 (42) | 1.6% | 2.13% (New second best in EH)
    Cra [item]Guardian's Alchemist Stone[/item] 0 | 2.7% | 3.6% (New second best in avoidance)
    SwP [item]Sword Breaker's Bulwark[/item] 8699.63 (225) | 1% | 3.36% (New second best in EH, best in blocking)

t4 and earlier:
    Ins [item]Cloak of Blade Turning[/item] 1116.52 | 0 | 0 ([item]Gilded Thorium Cloak[/item] is now uncolored)
    Ins [item]Sunstrider Warboots[/item]* 2321.13 | 0.8% | 1.07% ([item]Veteran's Plate Greaves[/item] and [item]Skullshatter Warboots[/item] are now uncolored)
    Her [item]Commendation of Kael'thas[/item] 1261.05 | 0''' | 0''' ([item]Commander's Badge[/item], [item]Gnomish Poultryizer[/item] are now uncolored)

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Maybe you don't like the new colors, or think they should be bold? Or maybe you're angry that I removed a PvP item you really like.

I think that this new organization should serve us sufficiently until the expansion, at which point I will add the top two items from pre-WotLK to the bottom of the list for each slot and populate the rest of it with, hopefully, every tanking item in the expansion as I become aware of it. My plans for the expansion won't give me much time initially (except on Tuesday nights), but I will strive to get everything up as quickly as possible.

Also, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has pointed out items I'd overlooked, or inaccuracies in my stats or rankings.
    "Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow" - Linus Torvalds
    Last edited by Timetheos; 05-14-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Time. If I am using your equation correctly for the [Chestplate of Stoicism]</SPAN>I get the following. Avoidance with Block = Def (51/1500) + Blk (39/790) + Dod (34/1890) + Par (0/2365) + Agi (0/3000) = 10.14%

Obviously I don't get it. Your figures shown for avoidance with block is different.

Sorry to ask, but can you explain in a little more detail?
    Thanks

Would it be possible for you to include [item]Hard Khorium Goggles[/item] in your list?

Also, would it take you a lot of hard work to start assuming epic gems in the slots?

1stormchaser, I'll look into the Chestplate.

brain9h, the only conceivable reason I would have had for excluding the goggles was that I wasn't aware of their existence. I'll add them.

As for the epic gems, the only thing stopping me is that no matter which gems are used, I'd have to use the same gems for every item on the list for the sake of consistency. If epic gems are more common than the rare ones in everyone's instance of every item on that list (on average), then it would make sense to start calculating with the epic ones. I don't know which are more popular, but I'll try to figure out a way to find out which quality of gem is indeed more common.

Added:
    SwP [item]Helm of Uther's Resolve[/item] 4731.87 (38) | 4.57% | 5.37%
    SwP [item]Crown of Dath'Remar[/item] 4731.87 | 6.6% | 7.4%
    SwP [item]Felstrength Legplates[/item] 4573.37 | 5.84% | 6.91%
    SwP [item]Dragonscale-Encrusted Longblade[/item] 796.45 | 0 | 0

Quote Originally Posted by 1stormchaser View Post
    Time. If I am using your equation correctly for the [Chestplate of Stoicism]</SPAN>I get the following. Avoidance with Block = Def (51/1500) + Blk (39/790) + Dod (34/1890) + Par (0/2365) + Agi (0/3000) = 10.14%

Obviously I don't get it. Your figures shown for avoidance with block is different.

Sorry to ask, but can you explain in a little more detail?
    Thanks
    In your calculation you mistakenly counted the 39 block value as block rating. BV doesn't have any effect on chance to block, just the amount shaved off when a block takes place.

But thanks for asking

Added:
    Cra [item]Hard Khorium Goggles[/item] 4473.69 | 4.9% | 5.92%

Thanks for the correction Time. I guess when it comes to Block, I, like others get confused as to exactly which Block is being mentioned.

So forgive me if I try to make sense of this.

Block % derives from your items "Shield Block Rating" correct?

Block % is calculated from (Shield Block Rating X 0.1268292) + (Defense Rating X .0169491)

Defense Rating contribution is (.4226804 to Defense and +.0169491 to each Parry, Dodge and Block) percentages?

Are these correct?

+ Reply to Thread