+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shield Slam + Axe/Sword/Mace Spec

Shield Slam + Axe/Sword/Mace Spec

Although my 2.3 prot pvp spec thread generated very little discussion (this is the premiere site for prot pvp discussion, right?), I continued to investigate different spec possibilities involving shield slam (protection based pvp). One possibility might involve weapon specs... assuming that they apply to shield slam. This would allow for Imaple, Deathwish, and improved intercept (by substituting points in cruelty for depth into the arms tree via axe spec). Does anyone know definitively whether or not the weapon spec applies to the shield slams?

Since I'm already sword speced, I decided to test a bit with shield bash. The problem, however, was that it was very difficult to tell when the sword specialization proc was a result of an auto attack, or from the shield bash itself... because even if you untarget the player almost immediately, I seemed to get in the auto attack anyways. To further investigate, I established a relative position to my target such that I was in range for a shield bash, but out of range for an auto attack (target was located at 9:30). The conclusion was that shield bash was in fact procing sword spec... however, there did not appear to be an extra attack. So while we'd concluded that sword spec can in fact proc from a shield-based attack, we still didn't know if an extra attack had been generated from the proc.

To be perfectly honest, I don't have time to test/investigate this further. Does anyone know whether or not weapon specs apply to shield-based attacks?
    Last edited by Chisgule; 10-29-2007 at 09:13 AM.

You mentioned you were out of range of auto-swinging, yet in range for shield bash - so when the proc would happen, obviously you would be out of range for it to show up, no?

My understanding is that, even though it's procing off of a shield move, it's going just going to give you an extra swing with your sword? Or are you expecting two simultaneous shield slams in a row?

Quote Originally Posted by Sair View Post
    You mentioned you were out of range of auto-swinging, yet in range for shield bash - so when the proc would happen, obviously you would be out of range for it to show up, no?

My understanding is that, even though it's procing off of a shield move, it's going just going to give you an extra swing with your sword? Or are you expecting two simultaneous shield slams in a row?
    I would expect an extra attack with the main hand, given the testing I'd performed. If it was giving me two attacks with the shield, it would have occurred at the 9:30 positioning, and it would've been easy to distinguish in the combat log (the damage would've been much less, it would have specified two shield bashes).

What amazes me, is that it does in fact appear that sword spec procs from a shield-based attack. What I'm still not confident about is whether or not the code actually supports an extra attack from the main hand, or if the words "You gain an extra attack through sword specialization" simply show up in the log but have no actual consequence.

Just to give perspective, we're talking about some kind of variant of the following (keep in mind that in 2.3 that it'll be DW & Imp Intercept): http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...03300123201300

+ Reply to Thread