+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gearing for Kael

Gearing for Kael

My guild has recently gotten to the 5/6, 3/4 T5 level and we're currently working on Vashj while farming the other eight bosses. She should be down soon and then we're on to Kael. I'll likely be in the MT role and we will be using the 'MT eats a pyroblast' strategy when we get to phase four.

What level of stamina is needed here? Looking on Thottbot and some strategy sites, it seems the pyroblast is 45k-55k base damage, which is then cut by 50% due to the mace buff.

Taking 55k, then applying the mace buff and 3/3 imp defensive stance, that puts us at a top end damage of 23.1k. PW:S reduces that to 21.8k, and then a nightmare seed reduces the needed health to 19.8k (fire protection potion would reduce that number further).

Is that consistent with the experiences of those tanks on this board that have tanked Kael before? If I go in with ~20.5k health, should that provide enough of a buffer, or should I be looking to push that number higher?

Additionally, would you recommend eating the first or second pyroblast? Most strategies I've read seem to recommend the second, but eating the first and using the shield on the second would seem to give the healers more time to make up the missing health.

If your dps are good enough the second pyro should be interrupted. You use pots or seeds if the dps has gone bad and it cannot be interrupted. If you see your dps can't manage to interrupt the second pyro then using the shield in that would be the best option.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Use fireprot/nightmare seed/laststand/shieldwall for the first pyro and use your legendary shield to absorb the 2nd one. Interrupt the third one.

This way your healers have 8 seconds to heal you to full after the 1st pyroblast just in case the interruption of the 3rd pyro fails somehow...

You can easily push your hp to good level with different gear choices. For example I use T4 Helmet, Belt of the guardian, Darkmooncard+violet signet. I have 16194 unbuffed HP and could easily push it to 16500-16600 with different gemming and enchanting.

I dont support the Idea of burning kaels shield. Much better to eat first 2 pyros and interrupt the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpiino View Post
    I dont support the Idea of burning kaels shield. Much better to eat first 2 pyros and interrupt the 3rd.
    It's really not that difficult to burn the shield unless you have 5 dpsers dead or something. There isn't really any reason not to burn it if you can that I can think of, the MT not taking damage from a Pyro is > taking a 16-23k Pyro.

Anyway if you're going to take the hit from one anyway take the first one and absorb the second with the shield. That'll give a ton of time for your healers to get you back up.

It really depends on your strategy whether you can kill the shield before the second pyro is finished. We tried it and dropped the idea, instead we throw some consumables against it and it works fine. In general: shoot for 20 k buffed, get a priest shield and either seed or prot pot will keep you safe when the second one hits (I used the shield for the first one). Due to different length of the CD you have to juggle around a bit, using Last Stand at least, if it really takes long (which is in general too long since weapons will despawn which in turn leads to Kael owning the raid pretty fast), use shield wall as well. But in general he shouldn't cast more than 4-6 pyro series anyways.

My experinece is limited, as last night was the first time we started reaching the first shield+pyro sequence with most of the raid up.
    We're still juggling advisors at this stage though, so we haven't yet had any dps on the shield to see how quickly we can bring it down.
    So far I've had only one pyro that was survivable without consumables/cooldowns, assuming I was Commanding Shouted, fully buffed and at full health.
    Damage range so far - 18.5K through to 22.5k damage from pyroblast.

Tonight I will bring my older Kara gear out of the bank (more stamina, less everything else) and the nightmare seeds - we're getting far enough along that it's time to start burning consumables for more practise time.

As long as everything goes right (Priest casts PW:S, you down a fire protection potion / nightmare seed / last stand and there is an imp nearby:P) your HP should be fine to tank Kael through the pyroblasts

+ Reply to Thread