+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Resist Gear

Resist Gear

Hey everyone,

I'm new here, but I'm currently gearing up for Karazhan (I just hit 70 a few days ago.) and I was wondering if there is resist gear I should accumulate now for future content or does the resist gear I need not really show up until raid loot?

You will need NR/FfR depending on what phase your guild will have you tank Hydross in. Every single piece you will need is crafted. Three plate pieces that a BS can craft and a ring/neck by JC's.

There's no resist gear you need for Kara, and only occasionally will you want resists for 5-mans, and they're never necessary, just slightly helpful. (The Fire boss in Mech being the only 5-man where it's fairly useful).

A question, Does Al'ar need Fire resist? I have the nature resist pretty much sorted for Hydross when we get to him, but should i start hording badges for AL'ar?

nah, no FR is needed for him.

Only bother with the Badge FR loot until there is NOTHING else you MIGHT want. There's almost nothing it's useful for. (Though, at the outside, Sunwell Plateau might take FR...no real backing for that statement, other than that Blood Elves seem to use fire a lot).

Dont you need the epic FR badge gear for mag?

Im building epic sets of all res gear i can find and im a BS too so that helps.

I think as a prepared tank having the best for all Res you can get is a good plan if and when you need it.

I hardley use any of it atm since were only doing kara and gruul, but i think its good to have.

Id like to know if anyone knows about Res needed in later content.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

Hydross the Unstable - Nature / Frost resist sets, depending on which transition you are tanking him. If you're doing add duty then both would be handy.

Leotheres the Blind - Fire resist, but only if you employ a warrior tank for this (most opt for a warlock tank).

If I were you, I'd start collecting either the NR or FrR now, that way its a long term effort. If you try and get all the mats together at the last minute, its gonna be stressful on your gold. I got all of the mats for mine over the course of a few weeks, and it wasn't too bad. You have to 2 sets of 36 primals for either the FrR or NR, and either a lot of Khorium or a lot of Felsteel. Its a pain in the butt.

No resists needed for Mag for anything.

Excluding BT/Hyjal (where I think all you need in Shadow Resist for BT), the only raid fight you need resists for is Hydross.

I think the only Fire Resist you need in all of BC is if you tank one of the Flames of Azzinoth in the Illidan fight.

Whats a good number to have for FrR and NR for Hydross? Without buffs.
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

For us, it always went fine with 255 unbuffed (so 3 blacksmithing pieces, necklace and ring from Jewelcrafting). I personally got uncrittable there with the help of the Keepers of Time trinket (24 resilience, equals 15 defense for crit reduction)

I think it's a shame they've pretty much ignored resist requirements for tanking. It would have been nice to be able to mitigate some magic damage. Instead of just taking AoEs in the face.

We always go with capped NR / FrR (295 unbuffed) for Hydross...it has worked pretty well for us. I've put together an FR set for Leo as the backup to our warrior tank, but I've only had to use it twice.

I did get comments that I was easier to heal, but I had much lower threat than the warlock as I had significant problems with getting rage starved if I went on a resist string. Swapping in an OH weapon just to have enough rage to devastate regularly helped, but a warlock should be a better tank in this situation.

+ Reply to Thread