+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's the point (help)

What's the point (help)

Hi ya all.

First of all, cheers to any tank around this space.. it's my first post here but i read so often posts and guides.

I was full arms warrior during my leveling process, I became MT and tank almost every 70 instance in arms (with tank gear of course). A bit of time ago i changed to protection... and last night was our first try to heroic mode instances.

Our team was composed by: Warrior Prot MT (me), Warrior Fury Off, Fire Mage, Elemental Shaman and a Holy Priest. Every member of the group was geared with blue quality items level 70.

We done a try to Slave Pens and Underbog (i think those're the correct names in english as i'm spanish and play the game in spanish)

Slave Pens was so more easy (we only was making a try, trying a few pulls and so) but Underbog.. well, the first pull of three mobs was impossible to us.

My current spec is:
    Armour: 13311 Defense index: 515 Dodge: 15.75%
    Parry: 16.73% Block: 25.6% Resilance: 45
    and 11K of life unbuffed.

The question is, how should i tank the three mobs? .. if i do, well, my life is going down so fast, and healing does at least one mob attack to our priest.
    Often i was using thunderclap and demoralizing shout to tank groups of mobs (until five on Shattered Halls) but... thunderclap and demoralizing 're not the best to multitanking on heroic mode?

Should i multitank using Sunden Armor to every mob to improve threat generation?

AFAIK some thrash mobs on heroic 're often more hard than thrash on Khara but...

Some point?

Btw, my armory link here: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&n=Astharothtx

Thanks in advance an sorry for my lingo, suxs, i know it
    Last edited by Astharothtx; 10-18-2007 at 03:43 AM.

Well your gear isnt that bad for hc's. You could buy some better gems and enchants ofc and try get the shield from TK instances. Anyway the pull is quite simple, use cc on them. and have a look @ the ktm meter.
    Carefish - Fury Warrior - Chromaggus EU

Any link to that shield? (sorry, i don't know "TK" instaces, surely in spanish is renamed to something weird name)
    CC was not possible cos Mage can't do (not humanoid).. The point (as i see) i was not capable of generate enough threat on every mob to avoid them attack my healer, so well, i need to improve my avoidance (that shield, minus damange, lower healing, lowering healer agro) and??

Thunderclap & Demoralizing? Sunder Armor & Shield Slam on every mob? What's the best practice?

Thank you for your response!

First and foremost use all the Crowd Control you can (Frost trap, Sleep, sheep, ecc..), than make sure your party is focusing the dps on one mob (/assist). At this point 60% of the work is done.
    Forget thunderclap if you're near some CCd mob. At this point you should have at least one mob out of combat for some time. With two of them left life it's easier, pull, shiled slam on the first revenge/sunder on the second, some more hits on the non dps target, taunt the first (in the meanwhile you build aggro on the second mob, the dpsers build threat on the first and you can easily make it yours by taunting it), keep concussion blow to stop mobs running to your healer while taunt is in CD (but shouldn't be^^).

In heroic instances I prefer the avoidance set than the EH.

That's just the way I do heroic but there are others way to play that can be quite or more effective

Open with shieldslam, this way you will have enough threath m8y.

Many thanks, i'll try using that opening and alternate between mobs, but the point was when no CC was possible (like past night, mage vs some Underbogs mobs)... in conclusion, whitout CC we're fuck!d xD and must pray something before the pull

PS: Of course i don't use thunderclap with CC (normaly i do thunderclap on pull, then mage do its job, then i run away with the rest of the mobs just to tank "away" from the CC one)

Well you should balance your group then .

TK = Tempest Keep instances. They are refering to [item]Crest of the Sha'tar[/item].
    Spanish translation is "Castillo de la Tempestad".

About the pull, well u miss some CC but you can let the fury warr to tank one of the mobs, the focused one for instance. Cleave and thunderclap should be enough to maintain aggro in ur two mobs, if not use taunt, concussion and get help from earthbind and frost nova.
    Underbog is just difficult before the first boss. After u down it, it becomes a lot easier.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

Jep, good post, sorry for not linking it btw. Anyway the 2 giant mobs infront of the first boss are hard, hope your fury war got some tank gear with him or you can kite one, but tanking them would be easier.

Many thanks to all (and for the translation Narshe, i think u're spanish too) .. and yep, i miss cleave .. next time i'll try to do and sure, Fury warrior can offtank/tank (she've enough gear to do it)

Another time, many thanks pals.

You can use what my friend calls: "pompyropulling", it's risky but usually works. Tell ur mage to land the most heavy damage spell in one of the mobs but just one of those spells. As soon as you get in melee range of that mob, taunt it so you will get the same threat as the mage put in the spell. Then start building agro in the other mobs, Im sure healers won't be able to pull agro from a taunted pyro That's how I do the two giants pull.

With the fury warr just taunt it off him around 10 seconds of building threat on the other giant. That way he won't die and healers won't pull agro.

The risk of this kind of pulls are two words: Taunt, resisted.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.

Haha yeah hope it doesn't resist then haha. But if it doesn't it should work fine . Good tactic (but risky )

I'll try this, sure. (sounds risky but fun enough). I tryed with hunters and their "deviation" , and sometimes some kind of this technique (taunt one mob with previous damage done by my team shaman... but never something than great and risking ... a cloth making a superb pyro just to build agro for me)

Well, this mage and i have a good synchro (sometimes he starts the pull doing CC and I get the mobs runing in his direction using thunderclap ,etc,etc) .. surely we could manage something like this.

I'll post the conclusions about those pulls without CC and the technique / resolution when we probe it.

Thanks!!!

That would be nice, i'm kinda curious

Quote Originally Posted by Astharothtx View Post
    I tryed with hunters and their "deviation" ,
    It's Misdirection how its called in english.
    If you are playing in spanish don't hesitate to give me a shout whenever u need some translation. I still play in english: it's hard to get used to the translation after two years of playing -_-

Yep, "Misderection" true i know it, spanish wow translation sucks anyway... and thanks for all Narshe. I'll post our results here (surely tomorrow)

Those 3 pulls of elementals are a PITA with out a hunter or a warlock in the group to CC them. Though I have run with a group makeup similar to yours. It was Warrior tank, elemental shaman, enhance shaman, frost mage and holy priest. For the 3 bog elementals packs we had the frost mage kite it away from the group while I tanked 2 of them. You should be able to have the Elemental shaman do the same thing with frost shock. You can try and pick up the third one as soon as the first is down.

First time I was in Heroic Underbog I just tanked those three elementals. :P Of course I had a T5-geared paladin to heal my ass.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

After a few torrid Underbog runs I don't like stepping into that place without 3 CC :P

I have had my worst ever instance runs in that place, a group of five of the best skilled, best geared people out of our guild as well (the kind of group you'd pick to blast through a heroic in record time), just one of those nights where absolutely nothing clicked and we were in there for 3 hours - we were all slightly hysterical when we got it finished.

sometimes gear doesn't mean skill.. and being able to be a good raider doesn't make you a good 5-man player... People tend to forget that most often than not...

Finished it in 45 minutes with Kharazan/heroic equip with a pala, shadow priest, enhanchement shammy and a feral druid (and the last one is an alt!).
    The secret? Just play for the party and not for recap/damage meters

+ Reply to Thread