+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How do you Prots handle Leo?

I normally don't change much, just get in some crits, and use the decapitator for bigger devistates, and the on-use effect which ammounts to an extra regular shield slam. Spell reflect is also 100% necessary.

I act as the MT on Leo in Elf form and then the lock gets him for the Demon form.

I wear max threat gear because of the aggro dump between phases and after whirlwind. Therefore Im wearing all my expertise and SBV gear.

I allways stack up my rage 10-15 seconds before he shifts to demon. If I get a inner demon I switch to bezerker stance, pop recklessness and use my SS macro thats tied to the Auto Blocker. You will be able to get some nice 2k + Shield Slams in with 620 ish SBV. That will basically nail the demon well within the time you have. If I get another inner demon(wich hardley ever happens) then I repeat the above minus the recklessness(dam 30 min CD, lol).
    There is something so appealing about backhanding someone across the face with a shield.

You WHAT!??! You use RECKLESSNESS!?!

Thedrawrf: My first time fighting Leo I used spell reflect. I stopped using it after that. The damage output from equipping an offhand weapon far exceeds the damage from spell reflect plus defensive stance means less dps. I get that some people use it but I find it simple to do it without it.

Everyone has different ways of doing it, some easier than others. If they achieve the same result then arguing about it is silly.

But RECKLESSNESS?!?! Seriously man, tell me you're kidding.

Ya I would think twice about using Recklessness, no shield wall if you pop your Fury CD. Of course, Leo doesn't hit that hard, but still, Shield wall is the raid saver imo. Of course, I also run with noobs
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

It sounds incredibly conceited but I quite literally never failed to kill my demon. I used to wear capped hit, 45ish expertise and roll with 20-23% crit raid buffed. Slow mainhand for demon, sit in battle, reflect if it comes and just drop the motherfucker no problems. Reck warriors make me lol, the amount of times I got a second or even third demon was damn common and I wouldn't ever rely on a 30 minute CD for that. Then again, who else can say that they oneshot Leotheras when the only people in the raid who had done it before were a priest and a mage?

I use a gear that is expertise and hit capped against nonbosses, with 700+ blockvalue. Never failed to kill my demon unless I got a spell reflect resist. Sometimes even the reflect is unneeded. I stay in defensive, keep my fast weapon, collect 100 rage by autoattacking the demon form then simply tank the demon to death. If I get no demon, I can start tanking the human form with full ragebar.
    If you're not capped and/or have low BV you may have difficulties killing it, but you shouldn't even tank the boss in the first place if you don't have a good aggro gear.

Why risk having 1-2 of your elf-form tanks get MC'd when it can be avoided completely? How about the ability to avoid carrying around gimmick gear that's solely used for this encounter? That's the point.

Honestly, prot warriors stacking +block value and +hit gear for the fight aren't putting out enough DPS to miss it when running out of range in demon phase.
    If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't be a risk. If anything, I'd prefer to always get the inner demon and kill mine, rather than having our warlock who's topping the charts get it.

He inner demons...6 people? If I'm out of range, that makes it all the more likely that it goes to someone else who would be doing way more DPS than I would be.

Thedrawrf: My first time fighting Leo I used spell reflect. I stopped using it after that. The damage output from equipping an offhand weapon far exceeds the damage from spell reflect plus defensive stance means less dps.
    You can spell reflect in battle stance, FYI

Yeah true. Haven't had any problems with inner demons since I started DWing and bers stance so TBH I haven't even considered spell reflecting again.

I cheat

I cheat. My guild downed Leo for the first time, and the way I dealt with my inner demon was I tanked him in demon phase Guild downed him on third try of the night with over 2 min to spare on the timer after wiping at 1% on the second attempt.

Yeah, we always just used a warrior in FR gear for Leo demon phase. It was just easier that way for us.

If you're the MT for Leo (human phase), you should be wearing some ridiculous block value gear anyways just for the snap aggro threat when he transitions after whirlwinding to let your DPS slam into him fast (mine are incredibly trigger happy). Using old-school badge gear, autoblocker, that kinda thing (plus a shield with the biggest BV you have), I think I'm up to 800 BV for Leo. Make sure you're using a weapon with Executioner on it too, it's godly. Activate the 2pc T5 bonus, autoblocker plus various raid buffs and I've seen me block 1k+ of his hits before and land some really ridiculous shield slam crits (2.5k'ish).

Progression-wise my guild is still working through T5 content (we're at the point where Leo dies weekly but Tidewalker wipes the floor with us) and I have never personally died to an inner demon.

The fact that the inner demon takes more dmg from holy/nature spells over fire/shadow and that my devastates hit him harder than usuall makes me consider use full threat tank gear and stop swapping dps gear on; we have locks dying from the inner demon over pallies and druids which is funny; so the same mechanic may be applied to special abilities like Devastate.
    By far the easiest way is like satrina sais, can't be nub and skip a spell reflect though. 2 SR are enough.
    I'm going next time regular SBV+threat gear, it helps be geared for if he enrages.

I have had a lot of success downing the inner demon as prot. I would say that some keys to doing it are;

a) making sure you have a full rage bar when the whisper goes off (meaning you dont have to switch stances). I always go in zerker.

b) I have the demonslaying enchant on my weapon that I switch out for this fight. Helps a lot.

c) I will always use recklessness. I have never had a need for shield wall unless you are tanking the demon phase and if that is the case, you wont get whispered anyway. Why risk a great run so far to possibly losing a tank because you had a bad spell reflect or didnt have rage, etc. You'll have the cd back by the time you get to Fathom Lord.

d) The spell reflect makes it easier but I like this as a first option.

When I have not used recklessness, I get it down about 75% of the time. When I use it, I have never failed to get it down. It did happen one time that I got it twice in a row.... but even without the CD, I was still able to make it happen.

Good luck!

I have never failed to down my demon and have NEVER used recklessness. Relying on a 30 minute cooldown is crazy. What if something weird happens and you wipe? What if you wipe anyway? Do you stand around for 30 minutes till it's cooled down?'

Probably the best thing to do is read this whole thread and look at peoples suggestions on how to do it because you really should be aiming to kill it without having to use recklessness. Doesn't matter how you do it or what gear you're in but doing it with recklessness is madness. Maybe your healers are good enough to keep you up at the end without having to shield wall but if you DO shield wall at the end you'll give them some much needed breathing room to heal up the large chunk of the raid that's been smashed by the whirlwinds and probably make the finish more certain.

As soon as your demon tank picks him up, switch to berserker stance, battle shout, dual wield your hardest hitting weapons and just build rage, don't use any special attacks.

When he starts casting insidious whispers, back out of the melee crowd so it's easier to target yours if you get one. Once you do, whirlwind, devastate, heroic strike if your rage gets a little high or for a little push into execute range, then execute. You don't have to wear dps gear at all.

As soon as your demon tank picks him up, switch to berserker stance, battle shout, dual wield your hardest hitting weapons and just build rage, don't use any special attacks.
    Just don't neglect to refresh sunder armor if necessary

+ Reply to Thread