+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you Prots handle Leo?

How do you Prots handle Leo?

Am curious what your methods for killing your inner demon are as a prot spec'd warrior who is assigned to be tanking leo.

This is what I do.

* stack up on block value kit. 700+ if possible.
    * be in battle stance and have a full rage bar before they appear.
    * use spell reflection to nuke 30% of their health per spell
    * activate gnomeregan auto-blocker before the first shield slam.
    * drink rage pot during fight.
    * use good sharpening stone before fight.
    * have damage buffing food and/or pots.

I've made it a few times like this. But have failed a few times too when he appears to have resisted my reflect.

-- gyre --

I have done it two ways so far:

1) Reflect the spell and spam Dev
    or
    2) DW Dev while using WW

At first I had to use a rage pot to either get the rage for spell reflect or to spam dev more, but now I don't need to. Just be cautios and Play it safe.

Catching the Spell Reflect seems easiest

1) Battle shout.

2) Save up a full rage bar before he whispers.

3) Spell reflect and trinket SS.

4) Execute.

What I've found worked for us extremely well was arranging it so that the prot warriors had Windfury and a feral druid (we run 1 resto, and 1 enh shammy, and 2 feral druids, so not a problem there), and combine that with switching to battle, getting 100 rage on the demon form, and equipping my Decapitator.

I've beaten a few DPS'rs on the demons with this setup, and have come no closer than about 7 seconds left in full prot gear, just switching my MH out and applying the buffs above. The method I use is to shield slam, sunder to 3, devastate while waiting for the shadow bolt, and reflect the shadow bolt. Overpower if it applies.

I would say...

And I'm not replying this way just because I'm a Tankadin, that you should keep either a Prot Pally or a Feral Druid in the Leo Tanking spot only. I personally can down my shade with ease and be ready to pick Leo back up as soon as he returns to Humanoid (Elvenoid?) form.

In our guild, if a Prot Warrior is in the raid and is not Main Tanking demon form, he'll just load up on Insane Stregth Pots and a few other consumables and just hope he isn't shaded. Also, we typically only do Leo right before Vashj, so extra Prot Warriors have the option of speccing to Fury as it's me and the Main Tank tanking Vashj afterword anyway.

But if you stay full prot as a Warrior, I would reccomend being an engineer and goin' hogwild with everything in your arsenal if any of the above ideas don't work and you reach that 10 second mark. As a fellow class member that's REALLY difficult to kill down, I can sympathize with anyone else who has teammates that love it when they have a chance to do so...

-Krynn

I usually kill mine before paladins do. Be in battle stance, eat a chaos blast if you need to, to make sure you have 100 rage. Shield slams, reflect one shadow bolt, heroic strike a couple of times, execute, done.

Ooo...

Eating a Chaos Blast for full rage, I never thought of that and it is an excellent idea. Going to pass it along to our spare Prot Warriors next SSC. Thankies!

-Krynn

No one ever believes it when I mention it, but you can outrange the Insidious Whisper and never get an inner demon. We tank Leotheras in the middle of the ramp leading up to the platform in his room, and clear out the patrol in the hallway behind his room (the one leading to Fathom Lord) before pulling.

When he shifts to demon phase, myself and any other prot tanks simply run to the entrance to the hallway, wait for insidious whisper to cast, and run back in. We've never gotten a demon on tanks using this method.

But what would be the point?

You guys running so far out reduces the overall DPS by quite a bit. Better to stay in, get your licks, and just do what people have been suggestion here to get down any whispers you might get.

-Krynn

As a port warrior I find Leo quite easy. I just wear DPS gear and watch the feral druid tank him.

Note for anybody that gets the unlucky resist on the spell reflect: stay in battle stance, you'll likely get one more chance to reflect. I found that out the hard way when I got my first resist, panicked and went to zerker to try to squeeze out enough dps to get him down, then didn't have enough rage for a reflect when he started casting again and I had to stance-dance back. MC'd me with single-digit health.

With 575 block value, I've successfully killed my Inner Demon 8 times out of 9 while in Defensive Stance with time to spare. The time I didn't kill it was the first time I got Inner Demon twice in a row and Bloodrage, Mighty Rage Potion and the Auto-Blocker were all on CD. I run with 60 hit rating, human racial for the Lurker mace, some 900 AP and 15% crit rating buffed. I also use Elixir of Major Agility, Gift of Arthas and eat Roasted Clefthoof meat for this fight.

Basically, I Shield Slam and stack Sunders while waiting for the first cast, pop Bloodrage once I've spent some 20 rage from my initially full rage bar, and spell reflect the cast. Once I have 5 Sunders applied, I Devastate, Shield Slam and Heroic Strike, using the Rage Pot as I get to some 30 rage.

If the demon isn't already dead, I usually get a second chance to spell reflect, which finishes it off. This usually only happens if my Auto-Blocker was on CD from getting demons twice in a row though.

As I tend to MT Leo, I wouldn't want to Execute and completely empty my rage bar since I need to pick him up again once my demon's dead.

Popping Recklessness is another alternative, but if you get to depend on that, you'll definately be in trouble when you get demons twice in a row.

I second the suggestions above, since I've been using those tactics I haven't been MC'd once:

* When Leo goes to Demon form, switch to Battle Stance, put Battle Shout up and eat some AOE blasts for full rage bar
    * If whispered, pop autoblocker, SS and sunder while watching for your spell reflect opportunities. As long as you catch ONE spell reflect, you should be in the clear (you will have between 1-3 opportunities). Make sure you catch the first reflect and you can finish him off with devestate spam and an execute.
    * Carry a stack of rage pots, if you panic you can pop your rage pot and HS spam then execute. Or if your execute lands short of killing him in the final seconds, rage pot and execute once more.

Get a feral and WF dropping shaman in your group if you can. Grab some demon slaying elixirs for your first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
    But what would be the point?

You guys running so far out reduces the overall DPS by quite a bit. Better to stay in, get your licks, and just do what people have been suggestion here to get down any whispers you might get.

-Krynn
    Why risk having 1-2 of your elf-form tanks get MC'd when it can be avoided completely? How about the ability to avoid carrying around gimmick gear that's solely used for this encounter? That's the point.

Honestly, prot warriors stacking +block value and +hit gear for the fight aren't putting out enough DPS to miss it when running out of range in demon phase.

Given the hectic nature of the fight as you're learning it and how easy it is for dps'ers to die, any additional dps you can add as a tank certainly helps. In a high block value / hit / crit gear set that I wear for this fight, my damage isn't completely terrible and I don't generally get wind fury for the fight.

On our first kill, I was 9th or 10th in damage and our feral tank was 7th. Certainly not the ideal way for a damage meter to look, but every bit helps.

I carry around DPS gear and usually swap out for that encounter (but not necessary). Battle stance at the start of Demon phase, conserve rage, hit Blood rage wait for spell reflect opportunity and hit execute at 19%. I usually have time left over.

Haven't failed to kill my demon in the last 5 encounters with Leo and have never had to burn a CD other than Auto blocker.

- Bodd
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving may not be for you!
    http://www.tankspot.com/signatures/u...sera/image.jpg

Personally I chuck on a bit of dps gear until my defense is as close to but still over 490. As soon as he hits demon form I flick into berserker stance, dual wield, battle shout and start building up rage. Keep it around 80ish, keep sunders up with devestate. Then if you get targetted with a demon just devestate, WW till he's in execute range. Demon dies with about 20 seconds to spare, do some more dps on the boss, at 10 seconds till normal flick into def stance, pop on a shield and get ready to tank again.

Originally I was trying to spell reflect and devestate and change stances and all sorts but really he doesn't hit that hard and this way is honestly brainless. Stupidly easy.

EDIT: new to the forums and just realised I bumped a 6 month old post. *redface*

Quote Originally Posted by Slobash View Post
    Personally I chuck on a bit of dps gear until my defense is as close to but still over 490. As soon as he hits demon form I flick into berserker stance, dual wield, battle shout and start building up rage. Keep it around 80ish, keep sunders up with devestate. Then if you get targetted with a demon just devestate, WW till he's in execute range. Demon dies with about 20 seconds to spare, do some more dps on the boss, at 10 seconds till normal flick into def stance, pop on a shield and get ready to tank again.

Originally I was trying to spell reflect and devestate and change stances and all sorts but really he doesn't hit that hard and this way is honestly brainless. Stupidly easy.

EDIT: new to the forums and just realised I bumped a 6 month old post. *redface*
    *smiles*

Devastate/ww dpsing the demon down is crappeh, gogo spellreflect!

Quote Originally Posted by Malignus View Post
    Why risk having 1-2 of your elf-form tanks get MC'd when it can be avoided completely? How about the ability to avoid carrying around gimmick gear that's solely used for this encounter? That's the point.

Honestly, prot warriors stacking +block value and +hit gear for the fight aren't putting out enough DPS to miss it when running out of range in demon phase.
    Didn't want to be a dick, but your posts are dumb. If you aren't bad, it's exceptionally easy to kill your demon. Satrina's right-on. One thing I do that he didn't mention is swap to a slow, hard hitting MH during demon phase, to make the devastates more painful.

You can do it in full tank gear. Just build up to 100 rage during the demon, then let loose and be sure to get the reflects off while doing so. It is very, very easy.
    Xav
    Formerly Xavastrasz
    Quote Originally Posted by Rak View Post
    control+c control+v amirite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Hell no, its Xav, he is gonna type that bitch till his fingers fall off.

+ Reply to Thread