+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The 60's and tanking...

The 60's and tanking...

So...cashed in my chips for Outland and have begun the normal drive through Hellfire. Since starting this game a few months ago, rolling a warrior, and becoming fascinated by the idea of tanking through websites like this and the better parts of the WoW forums, I have wanted to be a Main Tank of the highest caliber. I'm picking up my stam gear and am in love with my sheild, keeping an eye out for that SBV gear, and shooting for 70. However, I had an interesting experience running Ramparts yesterday that drove me crazy and I I thought I would get your response and advice.

Our group was a bizarre one...two 60 druids, two 60 warriors (including myself) and a lvl 59 Paladin as a healer. I started main tanking with the other warrior off-tanking as a form of CC (my def stats, ac and health was higher than this guy as well). Needless to say this was stressing our little healer, as he was focusing on two tanks, but we were making our way. As we neared the first boss I thought I would ask the question of our druids, "What are your dire stats for tanking?" Come to realize, one of our druids had higher stats both for armor and health than either of the warriors. So, for the sake of the group I said it, "I think it's best if you tank...it'll really help our healer," and I became the OT. Sure enough...big help on healing, only the guy had no idea how to tank. This was crazy frustrating for me. We wiped a couple of times solely due to tanking issues. Though I wished I could be the tank, it made since, group-wise, for me not to.

Understandably, my stats weren't better for tanking because I was currently specced as MS arms with a bit of fury, and a growing bit of prot to try to make leveling easier. However, during that run I decided I didn't want to loose the very reason I play this game (tanking) to someone who doesn't even want to do it merely because of a spec issue. So, I went and respecced prot. Man...you guys weren't kidding about how impossible it is to solo, pre-70, as a prot warrior! I couldn't believe how difficult it was to take down mobs that I was crushing with MS just a few minutes before. And if even one single mob added it was definite doom. Now, I'm certain this is due to gear and level and all that, but keeping this prot spec would mean that completing quests and leveling outside of instance groups would be tedious beyond belief.

So... I'm not quite sure where to go from here. I'm not quite sure how to move through my 60's...do I do all the quests? Do I focus only on instances and conquer every one? Do I try to do this as a prot warrior? If so, how do I make that work? Is there a better MS arms/prot spec that would aid the process and allow for tanking and soloing till I can go full prot at 70? What do you guys think? I just don't want my tanking stats to be lower than a druid's who doesn't even want to tank at all! That's just messed up to me.
    The Raid - A feature length documentary following the lives of a group of virtual raiders.

just realized this made it into the theory forum...maybe someone could move it to general as that's probably more fitting.
    The Raid - A feature length documentary following the lives of a group of virtual raiders.

I leveled as prot to 70. Once people realize you're a good tank you will never have problems finding a group for an instance.

I leveled as fury from 61-70. Fastest leveling I've ever had on any character (I have a 68 Mage, and a druid too). The advantage is that you kill a lot of humanoids on the way up, which drops cloth for bandaids. I always had a constant supply of bandaids. I didn't even bother with instances unless a quest I was on required it (usually the instance quests net you TONS of xp, good amount of gold and a blue item that you don't have to worry about upgrading for a couple levels.) What I did was got to curse-gaming.com and download the quest maps they have there... I didn't do it the most efficient way (like Kopp's leveling guide would have you do probably), but it still went quickly... people who had been 70 for weeks before me (I came back from an absence) were impressed with how quickly I was able to do it. Best of luck! You'll get some decent quest rewards along the way that can help you tank in instances, but I wouldn't worry about that... there's always going to be some other *insert tank class here* that's more concerned about tanking than you.

Wow. I've been prot since 60, and I actually had an easier time leveling as prot than MS, due to down time issues. Also I can take on three mobs at a time without much worry. I'm really not sure what's wrong other than maybe you're not used to the prot talents yet? It's a lot different leveling as prot than MS.

First off, stay in defensive while you fight a mob. Most people will say oh don't do this you lose 10% damage! Yes this is true, but you GAIN revenge, which is a pretty hard hitting attack and for only 2 rage. Also since you have a shield on (if you're prot, use your shield for Shield Slam instant attack), you have a lot more chance to light up revenge. In fact, I use shield block rather often to keep revenge up. Not only does this give me two instant attacks every 6 sec (ok revenge is 5 sec), it also keeps my mitigation really high. I barely take any damage at all in a fight, and I'm pretty good for DPS compared since my weapon is ... well its 52 DPS and my crit % is 20. Sure MS is higher damage, but you'll take at least half of your life bar in damage. Really not worth it IMO.

So here's how I do it:

Charge in
    Get Victory Strike if available
    TC
    SWitch to defensive
    SB
    Revenge (this is your primary go to insta because it does not stay lit - It will fade if not used)
    SS
    Rinse repeat until mob is dead - Doesn't take too long maybe 10 to 15 sec

If I'm fighting like 2 or 3 mobs, I have enough rage to drop a lot of *edit* heroic *edit* strikes in there for extra damage.

I'm curious to hear how you're trying to do it? I almost never die as prot, but with MS I could barely take two mobs at once. When I switch to Dual wield with my prot spec, yeah I can kill faster, but I'm taking a ton of damage and have to rest after every fight. I find prot is just faster with no down time.

What stance are you leveling in?
    Are you using a shield or Dual weilding?

What weapon are you using?
    What shield are you using?
    What's your crit rating in defensive?

I'm having a simple time leveling as prot. In fact just last night I completed a 3 person quest by myself, taking on three mob waves at a time. Planting the Banner: Allakhazam.com: World of Warcraft: Quest: Planting the Banner

Ok I checked your armory.

The Armory

If this is your DPS (soloing) gear, you need more crit. Stack 'of the beast' items, which grant str, agi, and stam. That helm is really horrible. I hate to bash gear, but replace that asap. You can get awesome stats on a helm. Your rings are really far behind too, IMO.

The best thing I ever did when I went into outlands is to buy up some lv 57+ outlands gear from the AH. The stats are insane. Get some 'of the beast' (str, agi, stam) for leveling or 'of the soldier' (str, crit rating, stam). Get some 'of the champion' (str, stam, def rating) for tanking. Getting these will really help. Don't worry if they're lv 64 or something requirement. Get them anyway and just sit on them, because some times they're hard to find. The shield I use is of the soldier, and it's great for soloing for the crit rating, but took a long time to find. I acutally used the same shield you have until I got it, though.

*edit*

Your spec looks pretty good. I would get three points into shield mastery right away, for bigger shield slams. My SS crits were around 500 with your shield. Now they're like 600 or something.

I would advise speccing to Fury with enough points in prot to pick up Defiance and Toughness. This will allow you to main-tank any Outlands instances and do a great deal of damage while soloing. Worked for me, in any case.

If you want to be able to do a little bit of both and still love MS, then this build is definitely doable: especially since you aren't 70 yet and a lot of core talents will be out of your reach:
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

This is a variation of an old 31/5/15 build

You'll slowly add more points into prot, or into ARMs, you'll be able to MS for your quests still, and with at least defiance and last stand in prot you'll be okay for most low BC instances, slowly acquire gear along the way, and take note of Polar's Pre-Karazhan guide to pick up great upgrades that'll have you ready to tank at level 70!

Any additional questions just let us know we'll help you out. I full time tanked for my friends from 60-70 with a fury build that delved into the prot tree eventually, if you want that, and have good 2 1handers it might also be viable for you and i'll post my old build.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Honestly, its a playstyle choice. I leveled a rogue 60-70 doing the questing thing, and it was painful and boring, more of the same with better rewards.

On my warrior though, last night wiht a good pug, we ran BFx2 (I ran it three times total) and were pulling in 110k/hr xp rested - I don't remember my rogue being able to match that questing, I could get close, but it wasn't nearly as fun as tanking. Our second run and my third and last one fo rhte night, we cleared BF in about 45mins flat. Everyone was level 61 with one level 63 priest.

I'll take tank leveling anyday

Thanks you guys. This is awesome. Nether...I hear you about my gear...I've been trying to get on it since reaching OL (this past week) but it's been challenging gold wise lol (been leveling my bs!). I know I need a better one-hander, etc. and would love to make leveling prot work for me. I think I can and appreciate the advice. Kazey...would love to see that spec you mentioned (fury/prot), if even just for my own education.

You guys are great! I'll keep you posted on how it's going. I'm loving being in Outlands and I've got Polar's guide stickied on my forehead!

Like most people I leveled hybrid to 70. Prot just takes to long but having at least defiance can help when you get groups, so that you can put on your sword and board.

I ended up being 35/5/21 by the time I was 70 and didnt switch to full prot until heroics.

So many replies! anyway, I leveled from 60 to 70 as arms/fury (that's starting off from 31/21 at your level) And it really was easy, I doubt I'd have done it so fast, if I was prot by that time. Your gear seems fine for an Arms spec, maybe you should get a nice 2 hander if you don't have it already, like the one from Blood Furnace, or Ramparts (me? I used my Unstoppable Force, and I had 2/6 Warlord PvP gear, and other pre-tbc crap). There's alot of gear you can get in those lower level instances, just pm me if you want to get a list for my suggestions I never specced prot before I started to do heroics and Karazhan in level 70. I always tanked with my arms/fury spec from 60 to 70, without any problems at all.

+ Reply to Thread