+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Steel and Fire- Kazaganthi's Guide to Arena

Well, war/pali has definately lost a lot of strength. The makeup can still do well, but it is far easier to run with war/druid. The druid has better cc, can escape better, hots, and can drink easier. Pali's have no hots, are easily interrupted, weak cc when compared to a druid.

Great Guide =D

I Found a site that listed the top arena team set ups and I was wondering why you didn't go more in depth in 5's teams.

Arena Team Setup Statistics - World of Warcraft Realm History

According to that as I look at it(2k Viable teams):

2v2-

Arms Warrior/Resto Druid
    Arms Warrior/ Holy Pally
    Arms Warrior/ Resto Shaman

3v3-

Arms Warrior/Resto or ele shaman/ Either ret or holy pally
    Arms Warrior/Resto Druid/ Sub Rogue
    Arms Warrior/resto druid/ SL/SL Lock
    Arms Warrior/Resto druid/ ret or holy pally (Not sure)
    Arms Warrior/ Frost Mage/ Holy Pally
    Arms Warrior/ SL/SL lock/ Holy Pally
    Arms Warrior/ Disc Priest/ Holy pally
    Arms Warrior/ Arms Warrior/ Resto shaman
    Arms Warrior/ Disc Priest/ resto druid

5v5-

Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ele shaman/ Frost Mage
    Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ele shaman/ Felguard Lock
    Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ Marks Hunter/ Felguard Lock
    Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ Marks hunter/ ele shaman
    Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ Marks hunter/ Frost mage
    Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ Frost Mage/ felguard Lock
    Arms Warrior/Holy Pally/Disc Priest/ ehn Shaman/ Sub Rogue
    Arms Warrior/Holy pally/ Disc Priest/ ele shaman/ Balance Druid
    Arms Warrior/ Holy pally/ resto druid/ Felguard Lock/ frost mage

(? are the specs right)

Those are as of April 24th. They change as more teams enter those brackets and change the Percents.

What I was asking is if you could maybe add those to your arena set-ups part of your guide and give them a description. I think this would help improve your already awesome guide.
    Last edited by Bloodwraith; 04-24-2008 at 02:52 PM.

I really didn't want to get into too much depth on 5s when I wrote the guide. The reason being that there are so many different combos that can be run effectively. At some point I may attempt to tackle this, but it is really quite a challenge..

Kaz
    Last edited by Kazaganthi; 03-18-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Kaz

I am very happy I found this site, and hoping that I never run into you

I am also hoping you have ideas on key binding. I desperately want to get away from being a clicker, but want to try out key binding strats that people already use instead of painfully developing them on my own. Any ideas?

Thanks.

I'm somewhat interested in seeing how well a warrior/resto shaman can do in the 2's. The main weaknesses I can see is that there's no real breaks from CC's or CC's of your own. A couple cyclones on the shammy and the warrior would be burned. Still, I'll probably give it a whirl, simply because a friend of mine wants to get into arenas and pick up a healing set for his shammy. Me? I'm just trying to learn to get better.

Cy, keybinding is usually pretty different person to person. My best advice is setup all of your abilities bound to a key. Make the long cooldowns ones shift/key. That way there is less of a chance that you accidently use a long cooldown at a bad time. After that, it just takes practice and getting used to your setup. Once you have played a set keybinding pattern for a few weeks, it becomes second nature. Make sure you bind your stance changes.

Cay- Go to WarcraftMovies.com - World of Warcraft Movies. Look up Jedden. I also have one of his videos in our movie of the week thread. He runs resto sham/war and ranks up at 2300. His videos are very well done also. The cc vulnerability is there, but there are ways around it.

Kaz

Thanks, Kaz - but I am curious what you do - or what anyone else does?

I have tried binding keys, but I don't think I did it well - and that's why I still click. Had trouble with movement keys and whatnot.

Specifically, I suppose the issues were with keys around the movement keys (I use EDSF for mvmt). If I were to get rid of the movement keys, I am concerned about my ability to move backwards.

I looked here - Warrior tactics - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft - how does that look?
    Last edited by Cykcklops; 03-30-2008 at 07:46 AM.

The keys look ok on there...other than the esdf for movement. Move and turn with your mouse. I move forward by holding both mouse buttons down. I turn using my mouse, and I strafe using the two buttons on the left side of my mouse. I have b bound for backwards. Basically when I'm playing, I can move forwards, use any ability I have rage for, and spin or change directions while doing all of the above. If I need to backup, I just release the two mouse buttons and press b. The b thing is a bit odd and cumbersome, but it's the best way I have found yet. If I had a different mouse with more buttons, I'd have it on the mouse also.

edit- it won't work well for a couple of weeks until you become familiar with the keys. However once you do, you will wonder how you ever did without them. You will also be able to pick out the people that click just by watching how their player moves.

Kaz

Personally, I'd think that using the mouse to that degree would be a bit tedious. I've found that using WS (or, in this case, ED) for forwards and backwards, turning with the mouse while holding the right mouse button, and then AD/SF or QE/WR for strafing to be a bit more functional. That also leaves you able to use the back/forward buttons on your mouse for abilities, and doesn't require you to keep both your mouse fingers clamped down constantly, while still retaining the mobility.

there's a keybinding thread here, I've layed out my keys there too, i primarily rely upon 1-6 and alt 1-6 and ctrl 1-6 while mouse turning, and utilizing z and x as additional keys. Definitely learn the basics:
    1) mouse turn. do this asap.
    2) keybind everything you can. absolutely do it, there's no excuse not to. bind keys you will use the most closest to your resting hand position (in my case its AWSD, so z is hamstring 5 is mortal strike). if i'm moving forward with W pressed by my middle finger my ring finger is able to hit z for hamstrings, and my pointer finger can easily hit 5 for mortal strike. likewise 3, 4 and 6 are easily hit with the same finger, and 1 and 2 can be hit by my ring finger as well (2 is bound to Sunder armor). All the while, my thumb is curved down over the alt key so i can hit alt 1-6 anytime i need, and my pinky can quickly hit ctrl 1-6 as well, although this move is a bit harder to retain full awsd control so i bound it to my stances and trinket pops, something that needs to be bound, but not hit quite as often.

my other not so often skills are bound to 7-0 and alt 7-0, and its something I personally am good at but can understand is a crutch to most people, is that i can quickly use my right hand, free of the mouse, to hit any of these keys. something I have just learned from time. (Not recommended). If you can, I'd much rather you bind these as shift 1-6 keys instead.

Hope this helps a bit.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

OK, the keybinding has definitely helped me - I am killing with far greater ease. However, I am having 1 problem still. I am having trouble targeting people without clicking on them. It's especially tough to click on a sprinting rogue. I use the TAB key but it doesn't always work. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Cykcklops; 04-08-2008 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cykcklops View Post
    OK, the keybinding has definitely helped me - I am killing with far greater ease. However, I am 1 problem still. I am having trouble targeting people without clicking on them. It's especially tough to click on a sprinting rogue. I use the TAB key but it doesn't always work. Any ideas?
    For pvp the only think i can think of it's to make a macro for Intercept on mouseover, other than that, i keep using tab for targeting

I used tab target but I bound mine to s. I rarely had a problem, it I did I usually just hit my assist another dps macro. (/assist name of teamate) bound to a key. Mine was shift d. To warn ya'll, I've retired from wow now. I'll still give advice where I think I'm capable, but summer is here and I'm going outside. Good luck in your gaming and may your rage never end..

Kaz

Anyone have any ideas for big group combat? When I am in a large group of milling players, it's difficult to do anything but point and click on a player, and that's a huge downer, since the clicking usually makes for a big delay. Of course, hitting retaliation or recklessness and whirlwind is nice...

Sword

Most arena warriors are now Sword spec. It's the new thing with Season 3. Bye Bye maces warriors here comes burst DPS!

In a more serious note, I would like to /bow to Hafu, the best resto druid those days!

That's not necessarily true, Maces are still probably more dominant in terms of the control it provides than swords. Its true most warriors you know of might be swords, but the top teams I find are still going Maces. I'll be making the switch once I get enough points.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

It seems like from a soloing/BG perspective, swords might be good, but I can't tell you how often my stun proc'd against a rogue hammering my friend the mage, giving him time to get away, or interrupted a key heal or frostbolt. I'm sure the crit from the extra sword proc might do the same thing, but I have been loving my mace so far.

Still looking for an answer on picking targets out of a crowd.

Enjoy your time outside, Kaz! Your guide has become an invaluable tool for me, and you will be missed.

option d. under 3's... I'm curious if Kaz or someone else could expand on the pally role. Its a Resto shaman, MS warrior + Pally... I know good ret pallies, good holy pallies and good prot pallies.

what is the pally role in this combo?

I've spent a lot of time in the 1700's in all 3 formats across all 3 seasons, and I really am looking for a new combo.

Sol
    Baelgun

Quote Originally Posted by solicitor View Post
    option d. under 3's... I'm curious if Kaz or someone else could expand on the pally role. Its a Resto shaman, MS warrior + Pally... I know good ret pallies, good holy pallies and good prot pallies.

what is the pally role in this combo?

I've spent a lot of time in the 1700's in all 3 formats across all 3 seasons, and I really am looking for a new combo.

Sol
    Baelgun
    For this is is generally a holy pally or ret pally, they both have their strengths

+ Reply to Thread