+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Small Questions that Don't Deserve a Thread

this issue came up in the warrior forum in the world of warcraft site. can a block be crit, and if not, whats the point of the 490 number when with shield block up, every attack you take is gonna be a block?

No idea where to put this. So figured I'd start here. How do you deal with burnout? I'm just at the point where it's to painful to continue to play the tank. So any tips to help with that?

Quote Originally Posted by orwin View Post
    this issue came up in the warrior forum in the world of warcraft site. can a block be crit, and if not, whats the point of the 490 number when with shield block up, every attack you take is gonna be a block?
    Because you can't block attacks from behind, when stunned, knocked down, feared, etc, etc. Also, sometimes your shield block charges get eaten before cooldown is up.

What addon do you guys use to track what abilities make up what percent of your threat when tanking? I mean I currently use swstats to get a general estimate of what each ability (Devastate, Heroic Strike, Shield Slam) does in terms of my overall threat but I'm just wondering if there's a more clean and exact sort of way to measure this.

Already looked at the addons section and didn't see what I described, so I figured I'd ask.
    My Armory (May be in PvP Gear)

Quote Originally Posted by Xazeri View Post
    No idea where to put this. So figured I'd start here. How do you deal with burnout? I'm just at the point where it's to painful to continue to play the tank. So any tips to help with that?
    There's only one thing you can do -- take a break. Whether that's a break from warriors, from tanking, or even from the game is up to you.
    風林火山陰雷

ಠ ,ಠ
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - it's time to roll the dice

=P This is my n00b post of the week... well actually my first n00b post of the week (I will post more later I promise )

Currently I think my gear is pretty decent. I have 12.3K health, 13.4K armor and my avoidance comes to a total of 41-42% now, but sometimes I feel that I should have more health. Changing my 9Stam gems for 12stam will rise my stamina only to 12.5K I think
    Even more interesting, with my fishing pole I have 501 Defence, Shielded and using Sun eater gives me like 512 def... so I'm questioning myself if I'm doing something wrong with the gear, should I have more Stamina?

Is more a question of "what are the standar numbers?"
    we're doing Kara for the first time this week so that might give you a hint of our EndGame advancement and how geared I (Main Tank) should be.

Oh, I got the BF epic boots and put on bank the Botanica ones (2 sockets with 9stam gems) My hp went from 12.4K to 12.3K but my avoidance improved a little.
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Agamaggan/63268.jpg
    "But I know Pain. Oh I know pain. And Sometimes I share it...with someone like you" Batman - Year One

Quote Originally Posted by Compa View Post
    Currently I think my gear is pretty decent. I have 12.3K health, 13.4K armor and my avoidance comes to a total of 41-42% now, but sometimes I feel that I should have more health. Changing my 9Stam gems for 12stam will rise my stamina only to 12.5K I think
    Well to give you an idea... I've had no trouble (gear-wise) in SSC, TK or ZA and you actually have more avoidance than me.

My numbers:
    15.3k Health
    17.3k Armor
    39.2% Avoidance

I will admit though that I'm looking at getting my avoidance up a tad by getting the badge belt next.

I have Breastplate of the bold, should I Gem it with stamina and exchange it for the Vindicator's Hauberk? or Should keep my current gear and wait for Kara drops? I don't want to let my avoidance drop too much but I don't want to have a poor amount of health.
    (I feel like an 8 year old kid asking a lot of questions in the middle of a movie)
    "But I know Pain. Oh I know pain. And Sometimes I share it...with someone like you" Batman - Year One

I personally have bold gemmed with full solid stars...

you have great, great, gear for beginning kara, if they try to blame your gear for anything until prince or nightbane, tell them to stick a fork up their ass and just join a guild with competent healers.

anyone know why armory says im inactive and it wont show people my awesome gear?

ok, well i guess its working now
    Last edited by orwin; 11-20-2007 at 04:00 PM.

What badge item would you recommend I look at next?

My first item was my cloak

I have 32 badges right now. Getting 3 more is easy. Was thinking of going to the new bracers for a quick upgrade.

Or would it be wise to wait and save up 60 badges for a belt or gloves?

Or save 75 for the legs?

armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory
    -----------
    -Warrior-

OK, here's a few questions. These are more for my wife than for my character; the only one I have that can tank is my 30-something druid.

Important Information:
    -Level 70 Paladin Tank, Full Prot spec (No holy/Ret talents)
    -Not uncrushable yet (+-82% with Holy Shield, working on getting Libram)
    -Defense is over 490
    -Spell hit rating is 0

OK, first question: Sun Eater or Continuum Blade? Sun Eater will help make her uncrushable, but Continuum will help her maintain good aggro (a big issue). The % above is with Continuum Blade.

Second question: We were running (standard non-heroic, keying someone friendly with Lower City for Kara) Slabs last night and the DPS (including my 'lock) kept pulling aggro. We survived, so it wasn't a big deal. There is some debate as to why we were pulling aggro, though. She was able to tank Heroic Mech and not lose aggro, so why did she lose it here? The best guess I have is that the standard instance mobs have such low DPS that her reactive threat wasn't able to build the way it would in a harder instance. Would removing gear help, or should she get a set of + spell damage armor or something for less difficult instances? Should the DPSers keep a better eye on threat?

Use Sun Eater for mobs that crush b/c uncrushable is top priority. Once you can maintain uncrushable and use Continuum then make the switch. For trash just use Continuum all the time. Sounds like for Slabs that the issue was people jumping in too soon. It may have also been that you were using a different healer, (lack of prayer of mending or earth shield aggro) different dpsers (lack of feral healing aggro), silly dpsers (dpsers that stunned the mobs early), using Sun Eater instead of Continuum Blade or simply that there was CC around limiting her ability to generate proper threat for fear of breaking CC. The reality is that without being on the run there are too many potential factors for us to give you an accurate assessment of what went wrong. (you guys may have forgot to use Salv too ) Your best bet is to simply have another paladin who's a strong pally tank go on a run and give her some pointers.

OK, followup questions. My guild has entered Kara and dropped Attumen, but not Moroes. The healers we had weren't able to keep up with damage taken (we've since gotten 2 new holy spec pallies). Any suggestions on gearing the tanks to reduce damage taken would be good.

Guild tanks:

Loviatar was off-off-healing, CCing and off-off-tanking during the Moroes fight. Sokim and Triv were tanking, a Resto Druid and Elemental Shammy were main & off-healing.

I'm not sure how trustworthy the Armory links are right now, but i know they're accurate to at least the Attumen fight.

Ok, I've just been buffed by a mage with Intelect so I think I'm ready to answer you Shevaresh.
    Basically if you want to reduce damage and make your tanks last longer then you need mitigation and health. Go for the EH Theory and that should help.
    For what I've read, pallies can remove the Garrote from Moroes so make them do their job.

I think MT gear is pretty good and since I know almost nothing about pallies I would make my sugestions to gear of Sokim
    - Shield: [item]Crest of the Sha'tar[/item] or [item]Azure-Shield of Coldarra[/item]
    - Shoulders: [item]Warchief's Mantle[/item]
    - Back: [item]Thoriumweave Cloak[/item]
    - Main Hand: [item]Grom'tor's Charge[/item]

It is important that he reaches 490 def without gems so he can trade those slots for stamina.
    I hope it helps you (instead of make things worse :P )

-- I just edited the post, it was a drastic change I hope you read it again :P -
    Last edited by Compa; 12-12-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Here I am again with another questions. =P
    The first (and most important)
    I was talking to a warrior and he told me to switch [item]Crest of the Sha'tar[/item] for the [item]Azure-Shield of Coldarra[/item]. I thought they were equivalent but he told me that the second one is better for the extra avoidance. He told me that the extra stats will make it up for the HP loss but I'm not sure if I should get the shield... I'm tanking heroics and I feel comfortable with my gear, the wipes we have are those of the kind where you say "oh shot! no way the tank could survive this" (and mostly they're my fault :P yesterday I pulled in Bot the channelers while they were buffed haha dumb me) ... err sorry, I tend to take things totally out of context. Should I get the [item]Azure-Shield of Coldarra[/item] ? I could get the badges easily 'cause as I said I'm tanking heroics (no kara yer. not enough ppl )

Second.
    I was thinkin today while in the taxi how do the avoidance tanks get the rage.. and I came with the theory that those kind of tanks need a lot of AP and hit rating to ger rage from their hits oinstead of the damage taken, am I right? (sorry if this has been discussed before)

Thanx

Fury with 5/5 Demo Shout

Anyone have a good spec for a Fury Spec that includes 5/5 Imp. Demo Shout? It seems like the DPS really takes a hit with that stipulation.

We want to start using CoR on some bosses and (if I read the theory crafting correctly) we really want to have 5/5 demo shout to help cancel out the AP boost. WE know there is some sacrifice on the part of the DPS warrior but our hope it that is balanced by a larger overall gain.

I would prefer to not push 5/5 imp. demo shout on the tanks though that is certainly a possiblity if it is the right trade off. We will likely have one of the MTs have 2/5 to give us the min coverage in case the DPS warrior is out that night.

Thanks for your help.
    Ideus, Blood Elf Death Knight
    Officer, Tears of the Phoenix, Ysera US

Quote Originally Posted by Skinzenbonz View Post
    Anyone have a good spec for a Fury Spec that includes 5/5 Imp. Demo Shout? It seems like the DPS really takes a hit with that stipulation.

We want to start using CoR on some bosses and (if I read the theory crafting correctly) we really want to have 5/5 demo shout to help cancel out the AP boost. WE know there is some sacrifice on the part of the DPS warrior but our hope it that is balanced by a larger overall gain.

I would prefer to not push 5/5 imp. demo shout on the tanks though that is certainly a possiblity if it is the right trade off. We will likely have one of the MTs have 2/5 to give us the min coverage in case the DPS warrior is out that night.

Thanks for your help.
    There really isn't another talent they would lsoe that touches thier dps at all, unbridles wrath is not really that good, and the only other option would be Commanding presence.

Your DPS warrios are seriously mistaken in thinking this would be a dps loss to them, they lose nothing but perhaps 20-50 rage in long fights from extra shout refreshes for a signigant boost to thier dps, along with melee dps in general.

5/5 2H Spec. VS 3/5 2H Spec. + 2/2 Impale

Last edited by Icarus; 12-18-2007 at 12:11 AM.
    Suggestions to improve the warrior class: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/th...71649679&sid=1

+ Reply to Thread