+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Small Questions that Don't Deserve a Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    The first time I ever thought of tanking was right before WOTLK. One of my first problems was holding aggo. Now that i have it, I don't ever want to lose it. I had read in some OLD (bc) article that said to use a shield spike. Most of the new (wotlk) tanking gear post do not refer to shield spike at all. Of course I have now learned the proper rotation (6-9-6-9) and I'm pretty sure that is what is holding the threat.

Short Version: Can I get rid of my shield spike for better enchant? I don't want to kill my party to find out.

thanks for all the hard work on this site.

Seeing as how you're referring to the 69696 rotation i'm going to assume you're a paladin.

Now i'm not sure what guides you've read that tell you to use shield spikes but in most cases from 70-80 you're going to benefit alot more from either 20 defense to shield helping you get the defense minimum or +18 stamina just to boost your EH a little bit, you might even want to go with a titanium armor plating which will give you 40 block value and 50% reduced disarm come next patch.

especially with the state of prot paladin threat in WotLK you should be fine with just consecrate and holy shield on keeping aggro on large AoE packs, so much that i doubt you'd see a difference in threat between the shield spike and none.

I hope I answered your question, and if you have any more questions about my reply or anything else prot paladin related, feel free to Send me a message here or i'm sure someone else around here could help you out =]

I was watching the videos and remember one of them says that you can pull back farther then the middle wheel allows by typing in /console m(something) 4 or similar.

I know it was a Ciderhelm vid for sure.....and I can't find it, or figure it out.

Can anyone please help? Thank you

Code:
    /script SetCVar ("cameraDistancemax" ,50)

okay that helped a little but figured that /console was actual part of command...so I tried /console cameradistancemax 50.
    At first I didn't think it did anything then when I tried to zoom out, whoa! I noticed a huge difference!
    If you want to experiment on your own replace 50 with any number 1 through 50, I haven't tested the max number yet, and may reply, but I am very happy with 50.

Thanx for the clue Aubade.

Discovery edit!

Using that code stays with your computer, you have to play with the numbers to go back to default or let it stay and not go that far away. Even after a reboot the effect stays and not to just one character either.

2 new videos have been made since using the code. If you wish to view them search for verveman6 on youtube, which I mention tankspot.com. Myvideo's are for the tiny tricks used by some gamers I am with that you may or may not see or hear here.
    Last edited by VerveMan; 03-23-2009 at 04:59 AM. Reason: update

I've used RAWR and your list of gear on tank spot to see what the best feral tanking gear for raiding the 25mans. According to it, i am wearing pretty much most of it.

Helm - Hood of Exodus
    Shoulders - Valorous Dreamwalker Shoulderpads
    Chest - Valorous Dreamwalker Raiments
    Back - Cloak of the Shadowed Sun
    Wrist - Wristwraps of the Cutthroat
    Hands - Dislocating Handguards
    Waist - Polar Cord (trying to get something better, like Sharp-Barbed Leather Belt)
    Legs - Valorous Dreamwalker Legguards
    Feet - Boots of Vile Deceit
    Weapon - Origin of Nightmares
    Neck - Titanium Earthguard Chain (trying to eventually get Heritage or Boundless Ambition)
    Rings - Gatekeeper and Keystone Great Ring
    Trinkets - Valor Medal of the First War and Defender's Code
    Idol - Idol of Terror

A question i have is, do i sacrifice the helm or gloves to get valorous for the 4 piece bonus set or is it even worth it, if according them, the helm and gloves are the best options for tanking feral druids? I'm also finding myself running in hit rating issues with the so called "best feral tanking gear", sitting at around 122 compared to our hit cap of 295. The only other option i can see around this is to sacrifice agility gems for more hit based ones.
    Last edited by Taurenlegend; 03-22-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Hmm, the 4 piece bonus isn't really that great TBH.

Those 3 seconds aren't really going to save your life if you're having to use it anyways.

If the downgrades are minimal to use the valorous over the off set pieces and you'd rather have the set bonus then go for it but i doubt you'll see much of a difference. the hit problem i can't really help you with since i don't play a drood =[

Sword and Board Question

So I was setting up Power Auras, and looking on Wowhead for the exact names of the buffs that I want to have an indicator for when I noticed this:

Sword and Board
    InstantWhen your Devastate or Revenge ability deals damage they have a chance of refreshing the cooldown of your Shield Slam ability and reducing its cost by 100% for 5 sec.

Is the revenge text something new, or just something I have never noticed?

-Edit: I read Revenge, but my brain turned it into Rend. Which was why I was asking. What a buff that would be for OT warriors who need to dps during a fight.

Del

When a person meets the "block cap", what does that imply?

That the unhittable mark of 102.4% has been met?

I am unclear of the terminology.

As a DK tank, why can't I keep threat consistently over high DPSers?

Armory Aeax on Moon Guard to savage my gear and spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeax View Post
    As a DK tank, why can't I keep threat consistently over high DPSers?

Armory Aeax on Moon Guard to savage my gear and spec.
    First, your DPS may not be using cooldowns to drop threat, it wouldn't hurt to talk to them about watching the threat meter and dumping threat when they're riding your tail.

More importantly, your expertise is low, but you have alot of gem slots and enchants you can move around. You're at 26k health before Frost presence, you can probably afford to swap out stam only gems for some expertise/stam.

Enchant your chest for defense, and turn one of your defense gems into an expertise/stam gem.
    Enchant your bracers for anything other than stam. More DPS = More TPS.

You're a Jewelcrafter, get some Dragon's Eye gems and throw them on the Monarch crab. You could make that an expertise stacked piece with 2x Precise Dragon's Eye - Item - World of Warcraft for +54 expertise rating (total), that would go a long ways toward the 26 expertise 'soft cap'. I used two of my prismatics for Stam Solid Dragon's Eye - Item - World of Warcraft , so I have 145 stam on the Monarch Crab, I have expertise/stam gems on other pieces.

Use expertise food as well, if you can't quite get the last few points, Rhinolicious Wyrmsteak - Item - World of Warcraft

Don't look at my armory right now, thats my 'DPS' set , expertise is low,hit rating is a bit high, and I'm missing some enchants, my expertise in my tankage gear is 21-22 before food buff, and I could still do some tweaking, as I've gotten alot of ilevel 213 gear recently that isn't enchanted optimally.

I will post this question here rather than start a new thread.

My main is a Warrior, but my role throughout most of BC and all of Wrath has been that of a DPS warrior. While I am definitely considering speccing both prot and a dps build come 3.1 dual specs, I am also leveling my Paladin currently, and may choose to build him as my "tank", keeping my Warrior dual specced for Arms PvP and Fury PvE...

Should I just stick with my warrior for tanking when needed, or would my paladin be a good choice? I mainly want a tank for 5 mans and heroics, and the rare emergency case where my raid needs a filler tank. I suppose my next question is who do you guys feel tanks better, when in pre-raid gear and blues, in heroic dungeons.

Hunter

I was wondering who is your top dps hunter and how much dps is he/she putting out like on sarth and patchwork?

What's the difference between the expertise "soft cap" of approx 26 and the "hard cap" around 50?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitegold View Post
    What's the difference between the expertise "soft cap" of approx 26 and the "hard cap" around 50?
    The soft cap removes all dodges from the enemy. That's required for most of the melee DPS since mobs can dodge from behind. That's why melee should stay behind of the mob all the time.
    The hard cap is for parry. Mobs can't parry from behind but they can from front. It's the reason why melee DPS won't bother taking more expertise than the soft cap. But it's highly valuable for a tank because they're in front of the mob all the time.

-Edit- Forgot that add that when creatures parry your attack, their swing timer for the next swing is reduced which means that expertise also works as a mitigation stat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    we have the ability to flag specific creatures to not be affected by this mechanic if we so choose for balance purposes. An example of such a creature would be Patchwerk, a very high melee damage dealing raid boss.
    "If you're good at something, never do it for free."

Been recently thinking about dual specs. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going with two protection builds. So, that leaves arms or fury. Probably wont be doing PvP so I'm thinking - is fury still good after the patch. Of course arms is getting a lot buffs and so on but I'm still a fan of fury. Do you think fury will be worth it even after the patch?

Second question. Sockets. Gemming for pure strength as protection increases your SBV and AP. I'm thinking about socketing my so called non-raiding (PvP, Heroics, solo) gear with pure strength gems for the red sockets. Do you think it's the best way to increase my DPS as a tank? I'm pretty high on hit and expertise but not capped so maybe that'll increase my DPS even more?

Would you happen to know of any Addons that can scan the combat log and warn the tank when any MOB hitting him goes after another player in the party? Maybe a small *clickable* grid with all current hostile targets and who they are attacking? I'm sorry to waste you time if this is a dumb question. I am just looking for a faster easier way to select and taunt creatures who attack others in my party.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathtropper View Post
    Would you happen to know of any Addons that can scan the combat log and warn the tank when any MOB hitting him goes after another player in the party? Maybe a small *clickable* grid with all current hostile targets and who they are attacking? I'm sorry to waste you time if this is a dumb question. I am just looking for a faster easier way to select and taunt creatures who attack others in my party.
    Don't think there's an addon like you described but there's an addon called Aloft which lets you customize your nameplates so they'll show which mobs are attacking you, which you are losing threat against and which aren't attacking you. They're working perfectly if customized the right way. Give it a shot!

Thank you I will try it.

Is block migitation or avoidance? just a small discussion we have been talking about on guild chat

Block is mitigation unless you block the whole attack. (Mitigation implies that you absorb some damage whereas avoidance being avoiding the whole attack) So on anything you care about - Bosses - its mitigation.

+ Reply to Thread