+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Small Questions that Don't Deserve a Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Urhan View Post
    Every point of healing is 0.5 threat. It isn't split between mobs, a heal for 2000 (assuming no other modifiers) will generate 1000 threat on every mob that's aware of the healer. For more details, see:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/evil-...de-threat.html
    You sure?

On wowwiki (yeah I know, wowwiki ain't the most trustable of sources) it's stated it behaves like:

Healing threat is global, and is normally .5x of the amount healed. Healing effects cause no threat if the target is already at full health.

Example: Player 1 is involved in combat with 5 mobs. Player 2 (priest) heals Player 1 for 1000 health, and has no threat reduction talents. A 1000 heal generates 500 threat, however that 500 threat is split amongst the 5 mobs. Each of the 5 mobs now has 100 threat towards Player 2.

Threat - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Remox View Post
    You sure?

On wowwiki (yeah I know, wowwiki ain't the most trustable of sources) it's stated it behaves like:

Healing threat is global, and is normally .5x of the amount healed. Healing effects cause no threat if the target is already at full health.

Example: Player 1 is involved in combat with 5 mobs. Player 2 (priest) heals Player 1 for 1000 health, and has no threat reduction talents. A 1000 heal generates 500 threat, however that 500 threat is split amongst the 5 mobs. Each of the 5 mobs now has 100 threat towards Player 2.

Threat - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    You are right. It is why Thunderclap can hold aggro on 3-4 mobs through heal threat. If a healer heals you for 4000, that's 2000 heal threat. Divided by 4 mobs, that's 500 heal threat per mob (this is assuming the healer doesn't have any talents that reduce the threat they produce...most *do* have those talents though*.)
    Last edited by clavarnway; 07-06-2008 at 07:00 AM.

Yup, brain fart on my part, the way Wowwiki explains it is right.

I'm looking for some image files that correspond to the raid makers (moon, square, etc) for use on my macro action bar (I use ctl-z, x , c, v and zlt-z, x, c, v to go through the marks and ctl-n to clear them)

Anyone know where to find such image files?

Thanks!

Maybe too small, but you could cut and paste out of this thing I made for my guild:

You said Mangina!!!!!! :P ROFLROFLROFL!!!
    :P

When should a warrior specc Prot in the Outlands?

My situation is that my warrior is sitting at level 52 right now, I'm leveling with a friend of mine who's playing a warlock. We'll be hitting Outlands tomorrow (It's monday, 2AM here, no we're not doing 6-7 levels a day :P) and at some point i would like to specc Prot to:

1. Be able to tank instances while leveling better and do it like i would do it on 70

2. To gather some decent tank gear and get into heroics and Kara faster as i don't want to gather DPS gear until i hit 70 and then slowly have to start doing unheroic instances to get the gear that i could've gotten while leveling.

I guess your answer will be respecc whenever you feel it's right but i still want to hear your guys opinion on this and I hope this question isn't to complex for a simple-question-thread.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post

My situation is that my warrior is sitting at level 52 right now, I'm leveling with a friend of mine who's playing a warlock. We'll be hitting Outlands tomorrow (It's monday, 2AM here, no we're not doing 6-7 levels a day :P) and at some point i would like to specc Prot to:

1. Be able to tank instances while leveling better and do it like i would do it on 70

2. To gather some decent tank gear and get into heroics and Kara faster as i don't want to gather DPS gear until i hit 70 and then slowly have to start doing unheroic instances to get the gear that i could've gotten while leveling.

I guess your answer will be respecc whenever you feel it's right but i still want to hear your guys opinion on this and I hope this question isn't to complex for a simple-question-thread.

Thanks!
    Just go to Outlands and see how the mobs in Hellfire treat you. If it was anything like me, I specced Prot just so I could stay alive longer..there is a huge jump between how strong the mobs are in Azeroth compared to Outlands!~

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post

Thanks!
    Level 60.

You can breeze through your first two levels in Outland (58 & 59), then spec prot at 60 and tank your way through the instances to level up. With a lock to dps for you, you won't have problems with many of the quests and Ramparts can be done with a full group of 60's. Ramparts was intended to be the first instance you did coming out of Norrath, so it was tuned for a party that should be around 60ish.

You could change over sooner but it would be unlikely that you could tank all of Ramparts at 58 (the mobs would be hitting you a bit harder than you would like I suspect). While you quest from 58-60, keep your eyes peeled for good tank gear and start building yourself a set. Then, when you're ready you'll be able to swap over easily and get through the content much smoother.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

priorites

I have a quick question. (if it's not quick, let me know and I'll start a thread in the gear section).

Basically, I'd like to know how to prioritize my stats when deciding on gear upgrades as a Shield Slam/Devestate Prot Warrior.

I'm running around in mostly quest greens and blues, with a Fireguard MH. I have a lot of upgrading to do, I know, but I just want to know what my priorites should be. I know for threat and DPS, I need to go Expertise until above 20, then hit (not sure when this caps), then SBV. On the defensive side, I need Armor, Defense and Stamina. Hopefully this will come with the SBV gear.

I'm going to mostly be running around 5mans, while also running BGs for honor rewards (like the S2 shield), and maybe getting in some raids if I find a good casual raiding guild. I don't want to have to constantly respec, so I want to be able to solo without bashing my head against the wall in boredom, which I think won't be a problem with SS/Devestate, I've been this build for about six months now.

So, what should my priorities be?

Quote Originally Posted by clavarnway View Post
    Just go to Outlands and see how the mobs in Hellfire treat you. If it was anything like me, I specced Prot just so I could stay alive longer..there is a huge jump between how strong the mobs are in Azeroth compared to Outlands!~
    +1

After going straight to HF the second I turned 58 I discovered that my dual wielding Arms spec I used for leveling was getting me intimately familiar with every graveyard in Outlands. So much so that I was buying flowers and visiting the loved ones of the deceased since I felt like family.

10 minutes was a LONG time for me to stay alive. 8-10 deaths an hour is not fun. I could mostly handle a mob 1v1 but as soon as a 2nd showed up then I was toast. Even when I did survive I was sitting to eat after every fight and going through pots like crazy.

So I immediately put all available talents points in protection, grabbed a shield, and never looked back.

I had read that leveling as protection would be slow and there is a degree of truth to that.

Took me about 3 1/2 hours to kill a mob. Some even stopped for lunch breaks while I hacked on them with my 80-90 dps. Some I think died from boredom. However, my deaths and the amount of time I spent walking from the graveyard went to almost zero and I had little healing to do. Quick bandage after a few fights was enough. So I think the net result is that the leveling speed isn't so much slower than a DPS warrior.

Plus, I was a desirable spec for tanking HF and Coilfang instances when those came up and I was learned to use my defensive stance skills over the next 10 levels which had to help my tanking skills at least some.

The only time I really didn't solo was on the Expedition quests in Nagrand where you have 3 quests of kill 30 things each. Each has follow up with more 30/30/30. Would take you about 8 years do that as prot at the level you will be at then. Grab a Hunter/Mage/Lock and group for those.

And you do want to go at 58 and not later since you can start getting the Outlands green quest rewards which will be a big step up. (even if 95% of the quest rewards to offer cloth, leather, mail, and pally plate)

Quote Originally Posted by Beewindy View Post
    I have a quick question. (if it's not quick, let me know and I'll start a thread in the gear section).

Basically, I'd like to know how to prioritize my stats when deciding on gear upgrades as a Shield Slam/Devestate Prot Warrior.

I'm running around in mostly quest greens and blues, with a Fireguard MH. I have a lot of upgrading to do, I know, but I just want to know what my priorites should be. I know for threat and DPS, I need to go Expertise until above 20, then hit (not sure when this caps), then SBV. On the defensive side, I need Armor, Defense and Stamina. Hopefully this will come with the SBV gear.

I'm going to mostly be running around 5mans, while also running BGs for honor rewards (like the S2 shield), and maybe getting in some raids if I find a good casual raiding guild. I don't want to have to constantly respec, so I want to be able to solo without bashing my head against the wall in boredom, which I think won't be a problem with SS/Devestate, I've been this build for about six months now.

So, what should my priorities be?
    Something like:
    Quote Originally Posted by Beewindy View Post
    Expertise until above 20, then hit (anywhere from 75-142, which is the cap), then SBV. On the defensive side, I need Armor, Defense and Stamina. Hopefully this will come with the SBV gear.
    You kinda answered your own question, but check out
    Polar's easy prekarazhan tank gear list
    and
    This list about +hit & Expertise, as well as this one about Shield Block value.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

Quick ettiquette question.

How much do I tip enchanters / leatherworkers who are using my mats?

And I guess, if I'm feeling lazy is it possible to find enchanters / leatherworkers who will provide the mats? And do I tip them extra for their trouble?

i normally just tip 5g per transaction, if they enchant 2 or 3 items for me, it didn't cause them any extra grief to be there an extra 10 seconds so i just do 5g unless they are super courteous or went out of their way to get to me. Regardless of mats (mine or theirs) I give 5, it's not a bad tip, and it's not too much to hurt me but not too little to be insulting I'd think.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Threat/Gear Question

Which enchant to gloves will produce more threat, 2% threat or +15 Agility or something else? When it says 2% threat increase...2% of what?

Myo

2% modifier to your overall threat mechanic.

So
    Prot Warrior spec'd Defiance:
    1.0 * 1.30 (defensive stance) * 1.15 (defiance talents) * 1.02 (threat enchant)
    1.5249 threat ratio.

That means for every 1 point of damage or straight threat you put out from a skill, you put out in fact 1.5249 threat instead. white swing for 100 damage = 152.49 threat caused.

The 2% threat enchant gives 2.99% threat boost from without it. It should give more than 15 agility always.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

A quick sort of PVP/PVE question...

I started doing BGs to get the shield and I've kind of gotten to like it, so I've specced back to MS. I'm currently using a 2H axe and specced that way because that's what I had. I've been reading up on arenas, and see the mace spec seems to be the popular choice.

Since I'll be grabbing a new weapon this weekend, I'm just wondering, since I'm still grinding rep around outlands a fair bit, does the mace spec translate as well to PVE with the stun proc as it does in PVP, or would an axe be a better compromise between the two for now?

Thanks!

Axe or swords are the best choice for PvE...account the additional damage they do.
    Vexed
    Bronzebeard - US

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegiemam View Post
    Axe or swords are the best choice for PvE...account the additional damage they do.
    Works for me! Thanks!

(Either weapon was going to be a huge upgrade, so I'll err on the side of utility for now)

I was wondering... How much +hit are you guys actually aiming for? I am currently doing ZA/SSC/Eye level stuff and never really bothered with putting anything into hit. Should I? Do I have to? Thx.

+ Reply to Thread