+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 67 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Small Questions that Don't Deserve a Thread

Posts have titles?!?!?!!?

Quote Originally Posted by Signu View Post
    Yes, I was referring to 1H Spec (I put a title to my post).

Thanks!
    I always forget to check the titles.

Even when I put a title on my own posts, I repeat it in the first sentence, just in case.

And you're welcome.
    I'm so tanky I get up at 5:40 in the morning.

How long will a boss corpse be there if it's not looted? [Thinking of ZA timed].

Ventrilo?

Hey everyone,

If it hasn't been obvious from my posts thus far I am new to MMORPG; my WoW fanaticism comes from my Advanced D&D habits from long ago. So, while I am easily swept up in the game mechanics, I am fairly ignorant of the computer side - so I don't really understand Vent. I looked on their website and I see there is a need to have a client and server, but I am not sure how I would go about setting it up - should I rent a server from a service, or can they be on the same computer? Any advice for a cpu n00b on how to go about getting this set up? Any advice on headphone/mic setup?

Oh, yeah, I play on an iMac and a Powerbook Pro. About to upgrade to Leopard.

Thanks!
    Ukkonen
    Antonidas
    (Still) Leveling Warrior

p.s. this post makes me feel OLD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderhorn View Post
    How long will a boss corpse be there if it's not looted? [Thinking of ZA timed].
    From Hortus:

You need to be in the instance and within 100 yards of the NPC when it dies to get credit for the quest drop. It's been this way for quest items on bosses for a long time in order to prevent people exploiting quest drops.

In the future I would suggest not releasing your spirit while the quest NPC is still alive, and then not looting the corpse until everyone has returned. The body will not decay for 1 hour if it still has not been looted.

WoW Forums -> Kael'thas Sunstrider body disappears

I searched through the forums and didn't want to start a thread on this if it was already up. But...

I see some tanks when they get the status of 5/5 and 9/9 they switch from the Mongoose enchant to the Executioner enchant. Any particular reason besides the reduced armor, since dodge tends to be high already...

Is it worth it? Any aide is appreciated, even if its linking the thread with this question, thanks.

I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking a while and absorbing as much info as I can while I gear up for 70 tanking, so first off, thanks to you all for such a fantastic resource!

My armory is here:

WoW Armory

I'm currently just dinged 70 and working my way through Netherstorm and SMV to get a lot of the items in Polar's Pre-Kara list (which is awesome!) I've been Fury spec for a long time, but I have picked up every tank piece I've found along the way and will be re-speccing Prot fairly soon (just finding it easy to solo quests as Fury and I don't want to gimp myself too bad as this is my only toon and I would like an epic flyer one day!)

I have a question re: gemming items. I've just splashed out on 2 Felsteel armor pieces, which I chucked some cheap gems in to give me an idea of where I stand. I have gone for the socket bonus in each case, but have still stuck with STAM as a priority (Solid Azure Moonstones).

I'm still quite a way from anything ideal until I pick up a few more pieces, but I just wanted to clarify a point. At my stage of tanking (standard lvl70 5-man's and nothing more for a while methinks!) is it worth pushing for +STAM and no socket bonus' in all cases, because I'm a bit wary of losing out on all my avoidance stats, particularly as most of my runs are PUG's? The reason I ask is because Polar's guide seems to recommend socket bonus in the case of the Felsteel items, even though they aren't fantastic bonus' and given that these are my best items I'm prepared to drop all Solid Stars Of Elune in them if that's the best thing to do.. my health is definitely on the low side @ 9.5k (11k armor).

Anyway, next piece to aim for is the Aldor chest, some new boots and the Grom'tor weapon and hopefully some better rings/trinks/neck... lot's of questing to do.

Quartz & Swing Timer

I've just dinged 40, and respecced Arms to get MS. Additionally, I've downloaded Quartz because I've heard that's how you maximize DPS. The problem is, I don't think Quartz is working properly and can't figure out how to get it to act like I'm thinking it should.

It does not show my swing timer unless I've just Heroic Striked.

This wouldn't be a problem if I had the rage to use the MS-->HS-->WW-->HS rotation Meeks suggests in his PvE Arms guide (I won't be speccing into Imp. Slam for quite a while, so I'm using the alternate rotation he suggests). But I don't always have the rage to HS, and without it I have no swing timer.

I've taken a look at the Quartz website and searched the Tankspot forums, but haven't found an answer to my questions. I do have the swing timer enabled in Quartz options.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Hmm. That sounds odd—you might want to check to see if something weird is happening (like you use embedded libraries and have version skew). I've got Quartz installed, and always get the swing timer up unless I'm dual wielding.

Wepon Enchants

For a Prot. tank running Kara... looking to 25 man. What would be the best Enchant for my main hand sword [Kings Defender]?

I have been told Mongoose, Executioner, Potency and Battlemaster from reliable sources. So who is right?

Which enchant equate to the most threat?

Thanks

Ukk -
    Macs & Ventrillo have a lot of problems working together from what I hear. If you don't want a "Get a PC" answer then you'll probably need to check the Vent forums for specific setup advice. There is a mac-specific way to set it up.

If your guild doesn't have VOIP (Voice over internet protocol) already, then yes, you'd have to rent a vent server (or install it on your machine, but really? WoW and a Vent server at the same time? Isn't a powerbook a laptop? I think you'd have some problems. That is a lot to have going on on one machine at a time.) and get everyone to load vent client on their machines.

Newind & Rysis -
    Executioner is better than Mongoose for threat generation. Mongoose gives you a bit of crit and some dodge, but Executor makes your damage hit for more and therefore you get more threat because of it.

Battlemaster has a very inconsistent proc and doesn't heal for much, and on top of that, most of the time you're the only one taking damage - there is no threat generated from overhealing.

Potency is 40AP = about 2.8dps (-10% for def stance) so its better than absolutely nothing.

Think of it like this. The two best enchants are Mongoose & Executioner.
    When Mongoose procs you're dodging more and you have a bit higher chance to crit.
    When Executioner procs every time you hit the mob you hit it harder than you did without the proc.
    Last edited by Smaken; 04-09-2008 at 01:20 PM. Reason: I'm picky about my formatting, so sue me. (note: Please do not sue me)

Quote Originally Posted by Spazlord View Post
    I'm new to the forum, although I've been lurking a while and absorbing as much info as I can while I gear up for 70 tanking, so first off, thanks to you all for such a fantastic resource!

My armory is here:

WoW Armory

I'm currently just dinged 70 and working my way through Netherstorm and SMV to get a lot of the items in Polar's Pre-Kara list (which is awesome!) I've been Fury spec for a long time, but I have picked up every tank piece I've found along the way and will be re-speccing Prot fairly soon (just finding it easy to solo quests as Fury and I don't want to gimp myself too bad as this is my only toon and I would like an epic flyer one day!)

I have a question re: gemming items. I've just splashed out on 2 Felsteel armor pieces, which I chucked some cheap gems in to give me an idea of where I stand. I have gone for the socket bonus in each case, but have still stuck with STAM as a priority (Solid Azure Moonstones).

I'm still quite a way from anything ideal until I pick up a few more pieces, but I just wanted to clarify a point. At my stage of tanking (standard lvl70 5-man's and nothing more for a while methinks!) is it worth pushing for +STAM and no socket bonus' in all cases, because I'm a bit wary of losing out on all my avoidance stats, particularly as most of my runs are PUG's? The reason I ask is because Polar's guide seems to recommend socket bonus in the case of the Felsteel items, even though they aren't fantastic bonus' and given that these are my best items I'm prepared to drop all Solid Stars Of Elune in them if that's the best thing to do.. my health is definitely on the low side @ 9.5k (11k armor).

Anyway, next piece to aim for is the Aldor chest, some new boots and the Grom'tor weapon and hopefully some better rings/trinks/neck... lot's of questing to do.
    Looking at your specific gear, I'd say if you want to spend the money, then do so. You have tons of +hit for a newly minted 70 (something I struggle with as OT'ing as fury). I'd work on getting your defense a bit higher and then worry about maxing out your stamina. Aim for 490. That's the advice I'd give you. Actually you can get away with 485 for heroics. +8 dodge for red > 3 agi/4 stam, although I'd stack enduring gems until you get above 485 for tanking. Solid gems are almost never the wrong answer though.

Look for a [item]Shield of the Void[/item] from the first boss in Mana Tombs, which you should be able to tank without a problem, or get a [item]Shield of the Wayward Footman[/item] from the AH, if its not to expensive. Tack a [item]Enchant Shield - Major Stamina[/item](very cheap mats for an enchant) on it for some extra stamina too. Work up to one of the shields from either S.Lab or Bot.

Try to find some ranged dps to help you with the quest for [item]Dabiri's Enigma[/item] and use that instead of your +hit trinket.
    Last edited by Smaken; 04-09-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks for replying Smaken, that cleared things up a bit for me. I will look into replacing the 2 stat gems (agility/stam) with single stat's (+8 dodge).

I got a few new pieces yesterday, a Warbringer chest, a new neck with more stamina and I crafted a Fireguard at great expense to the management (finally! been hanging out for this for a long time!), and I'm sitting fairly comfortably on 479 def, so definitely inching closer to the mark. I've almost got enough honour for the Gladiator's Shield Wall too, so I think I'm going to hang out for that, and I will work on Dabiri's Enigma and some new boots (Mana Tombs) over the weekend. That should sort out my def and I will look at getting some stamina enchants and getting out there tanking proper! I ran Shattered Halls last night and had the hanging on to multiple mobs thing drilled into me - definitely need a little more practise in that dept I found it very tough.

I've noticed that my Cruelty talent isn't reflected in the character window. I seem to remember it being there before, but I could be totally wrong about that. If that did changed, I donno if it was when 2.4 came out, or when I last respec'd (which I've only done once in the last few months; had 5 in cruelty in both of em).

Do you guys see that 5% included in your characters? I've noticed that it's also not reflected in my armory page.

It's definitely reflected on mine - Armoury and in-game. Not sure what to tell you, though, unfortunately.

God, I donno what kind of crack I was smoking when I posted that. For some reason I was thinking that players had a base 5% to crit before dex bonus.

So, I was checking some warriors and I found that a lot of warriors stack Shield Block Value and keep Dodge and Parry relatively low (14 - 20&#37
    and Shield Block Rating quite high (30 - 35%)

IMO, we should not stack SBR but SBV since the spell "Shield Block" will do its work. But, Am I missing something?
    I have the T4 Gloves and the Maiden gloves. should I use the T4 'cause of the SBR and lose the Parry rating and the bonus (Wich imo is nice!!) in order to get the Block Rating?.. I mean, in boss fights BR will be always up. so what's the point of having such a high Block Rating? I try to keep them on par as possible so the damage I take is well distributed.. but now I have my doubts :P
    http://www.dkpsigs.com/sigs/Agamaggan/63268.jpg
    "But I know Pain. Oh I know pain. And Sometimes I share it...with someone like you" Batman - Year One

whats the taunt cap for pallys

hi was just wanted to no is the taunt cap for pallys 9% 142 hit rating or is it the same as warriors 16% with 1% unavoidable to resist. plz put theroycraft for it to if ya can

dinged 60 - Aldor or Scryer?

I suspect it does not matter, but I was wondering if one or the other faction was better for a tank - vis a vis the gear or chants that are available as rep grows.

Thanks -

Ukk

Edit: Thanks Kaz!
    Last edited by Ukk; 04-21-2008 at 09:36 AM.

generally aldor is better for tanking because for a new 70, the [item]Vindicator's Hauberk[/item] makes for a very solid tanking chest. The enchants are back and forth really, i prefer scryer's cuz I value defense more than dodge but others will argue that of course. Likewise the neck proc's from the new Sunwell vendor gives dodge for aldor and expertise for scyers, but both are trumped by the badge neck. So it really doesn't matter in the long run.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Mongoose or Executioner

It's been asked before I know, with the consensus being Mongoose for avoidance and Executioner for threat, but the weapons I currently have are [item]The Sun Eater[/item] with Mongoose and [item]Quickening Blade of the Prince[/item] with Executioner. Yesterday I picked up [item]Mallet of the Tides[/item] and my first thought was to put Executioner on it and use Sun Eater as my avoidance weapon. But if I've done the maths correctly, Sun Eater only gives me about 0.75% avoidance more than the Mallet, and has 12 less stamina and no expertise.

So what I guess I'm asking is, should I go Sun Eater + Mongoose for avoidance, and Mallet + Executioner for threat

OR

Quickening + Executioner for threat, and Mallet + Mongoose?

Thanks in advance

+ Reply to Thread