+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A bunch of comparisons and questions!

A bunch of comparisons and questions!

Hi there =o

Okay, I have a ton of different comparison questions I haven't quite been able to decide on. Mostly end-game choices. We're at Council now, so I might as well aim for what's best, especially since Gems are quite expensive DKP-wise within our guild.

There HAS to be a lot of people who need this information sorted out. I ask the forums, in public, other warriors etc. No one really has an answer. I've outlined most of the gear questions I think aren't obvious, as I know someone will want to know.

Let's start things off with Protection gear.

I think the biggest part of deciding your protection gear, is trying to figure out which 4 pieces of T6 you would like to get.

Ideally, I'm thinking Chest, Gloves, Legs and Shoulders. Saving your head piece for Faceplate of the Impenetrable.

But, that's going to be awhile for now, and T6 Gloves/Helm are a lot more accessible than Illidan, so perhaps Helm, Gloves, Shoulders and Legs for now.

Okay, so that's out of the way...

Next up, is ranged weapon. I'm currently using the Engineering gun with a 8 hit rating gem in it. I use this almost all the time, switching to Rifle of the Stoic Guardian when I need more avoidance instead of threat.

One thing I noticed, is most guilds have their tanks using Legionkiller instead, I haven't even considered it, as it's dropped a lot and I've just ignored it. Perhaps I should keep my eyes on it.

Then, there's the cloak situation. Pepe's for it's massive amount of hit versus A'lars for its mitigation. Situational? Perhaps...

Enchants are also a huge question. Gloves and Cloak to be specific. For gloves I think the choice would be either Threat or Agility, leaning towards Agility.

For cloak, this is the hard one. Armor was generally the consensus as to what's better, but lately you armory the people who have obtained Pepe's and the majority have Agility on it. I've got it just sitting here waiting to be enchanted, wondering what I should do with it.

So, that clears up tanking, next up is fury DPS. I'm a prot warrior, so I have less knowledge in this area, so this one's harder for me to figure out. o_O

The Fury DPS item guide is very well written and good to follow, I used it for everything up to the recent haste nerf. But the problem is, now with the haste nerf, how have things changed?

The guide lists haste-heavy items as top of the list, usually with a big gap, followed by the non-haste version of the tier.

One common question I ask myself, is RBoB vs Belt of Seething Fury. I put a crit and a str/stam gem in the RBoB, I know a lot put double Crit, but it's debatable.

Next piece that's confusing is the neck piece. I have Serrated Blades, so I'm going to stick with that one for now.

Gloves, Silent Justice vs Pillagers. I liked Pillagers before the haste change, but perhaps Silent are better now?

Cloak, Terons no doubt, but I won't have access to that one for a long, long time. I'm currently using Arathi Kings, would it be worth it to upgrade to Vengeance Wraps?

Rings are big too. I've got a Mithril Band of the Unscarred as well as a Band of Devastation. I could probably pick up another Devastation if I wanted... Like I said, I'm prot, so on non-plate pieces I don't have much choice on what I can get.

As for weapons, I was aiming towards Rising Tide and Swiftsteel Bludgeon. It's probably still the best even with the haste it has.

Eh. That is it for gear. The next question I have, is Blacksmithing vs Enchanting. I currently have JC and one open slot (I dropped mining). As it stands now, I would prefer enchanting for the ring bonuses, but you never know what will be released with the Sunwell.

Also, I'm not sure how the BT BS recipes compare to their boss-dropped counterparts.

Thanks a ton for reading this, let's get this settled!

So, this has stumped all of Tankspot, I see.

=[

I would help you, but i`m struggeling with my furor warrior and equiptment too. THough i still don`t know how to reavh 550 DPS mark in Kara (Attumen vor example)

Aurica, you've shamed me. I have been playing over a year, and yet I do not recognize a single item you have mentioned in your post =( I thought I knew warrior gear.. hmmm.. are you running a different class? Maybe your a druid or pally and that's why? Anyway I'm sorry not to be able to help..

(edit) OK so I just looked up your armory profile, and I think maybe I peed my pants a little bit =) Nice stuff and maybe in like, 6 months I'll be where you are lol.. I'm a baby in comparison!
    Last edited by Alegnaa; 10-01-2007 at 11:09 AM.

Much of what you have pointed out depends on personal preferences, because they are all side grades. IMO, WDF.

As far as professions go, I think enchanting gives you better returns at end game. You can replace weapons and armor, you can't replace ring enchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurica View Post
    Hi there =o

Okay, I have a ton of different comparison questions I haven't quite been able to decide on. Mostly end-game choices. We're at Council now, so I might as well aim for what's best, especially since Gems are quite expensive DKP-wise within our guild.
    We're just working on RoS, which is not that far from your situation. We however get our gems for free if we get new raiding gear from T6 instances

Let's start things off with Protection gear.

I think the biggest part of deciding your protection gear, is trying to figure out which 4 pieces of T6 you would like to get.
    I'm still not really sold to this set. I don't really know if I should really gun for 4 parts since it will be probably pretty difficult to get even if the bosses are down.

Ideally, I'm thinking Chest, Gloves, Legs and Shoulders. Saving your head piece for Faceplate of the Impenetrable.
    agree so far. The Faceplate is just too good to pass.

But, that's going to be awhile for now, and T6 Gloves/Helm are a lot more accessible than Illidan, so perhaps Helm, Gloves, Shoulders and Legs for now.
    Personally I won't gun for the helm unless I can snipe it cheaply. Gloves and legs are pretty nice, shoulders are good as well.

Next up, is ranged weapon. I'm currently using the Engineering gun with a 8 hit rating gem in it. I use this almost all the time, switching to Rifle of the Stoic Guardian when I need more avoidance instead of threat.

One thing I noticed, is most guilds have their tanks using Legionkiller instead, I haven't even considered it, as it's dropped a lot and I've just ignored it. Perhaps I should keep my eyes on it.
    For pure avoidance the gun from gorefiend is the best. Legionkiller offers a compromise between avoidance and threat. I might go for it as well if I get it cheap. But in general my mainstay is my eng gun with a 15 stam gem.

Then, there's the cloak situation. Pepe's for it's massive amount of hit versus A'lars for its mitigation. Situational? Perhaps...
    Situational. And really depends on your gear. You can pretty easily get hitcapped in T6 content which would make the former cloak less attractive.

Enchants are also a huge question. Gloves and Cloak to be specific. For gloves I think the choice would be either Threat or Agility, leaning towards Agility.

For cloak, this is the hard one. Armor was generally the consensus as to what's better, but lately you armory the people who have obtained Pepe's and the majority have Agility on it. I've got it just sitting here waiting to be enchanted, wondering what I should do with it.
    Threat for gloves, Agi for cloak. That's how I do it. 12 Agi offers a nice threatboost/avoid mix (see Legionkiller), Threat is just too good to pass imho.

I won't comment on DPS gear since I only collect it if its left to rot otherwise. Nevertheless after the haste nerf I'd should for armor penetration, its an underestimated stat imho.

Eh. That is it for gear. The next question I have, is Blacksmithing vs Enchanting. I currently have JC and one open slot (I dropped mining). As it stands now, I would prefer enchanting for the ring bonuses, but you never know what will be released with the Sunwell.

Also, I'm not sure how the BT BS recipes compare to their boss-dropped counterparts.
    Most of the haste items are pretty badly itemized since they spread their budget only over a few stats. You only loose the shoulders IIRC, the bracers can be crafted and sold (or vice versa, I'm not sure about it). BSing weapons can be replaced in the BT therefore there is no reason to train it for those ones. Those BOP gems that are availible are pretty nice though, you should really calculate what you gain more from (ring enchants vs new BOP gems). Once you are in the endgame most professions (except for jewelcrafting and enchanting) only offer sidegrades at the moment.

+ Reply to Thread