+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skipping uncrittable

Skipping uncrittable

As my paladin nears 70, I'm faced once again with gearing up, and paladins almost ever lose all their holy shield charges, I'm considering skipping the whole 490 defense thing, and just collecting ratings to get get myself to 102.4% mitigation with shield block up. I'm curious if anybody else has gone this route, or if there are any roadblocks I'm missing.

a crit from a boss = 2 times

a crushing blow from a boss = 1.5 times damage

uncritable is more important that uncrushable. but both are very important
    Please Geek Responsibly.

If you ever want to inquire as to my random weird and sometimes radical theories don't be afraid to ask and give your constructive input

I am aware of this, but block is above crit on the hit table,

Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Glancing Blow (only players and pets versus mobs)
    Block
    Critical
    Crushing Blow (mobs only)
    ordinary hit

So I figure if you are uncrushable you are uncrittable, why not skip itemizing for crit reduction, and just gear for 102.4% mitigation

the problem is that it is virtually impossible to be uncrushable without shield block. and even WITH shield block there is no garuntee that it will be up for every hit
    Please Geek Responsibly.

If you ever want to inquire as to my random weird and sometimes radical theories don't be afraid to ask and give your constructive input

pally, like I said, you try losing 8 shield block charges in 10 seconds against a single mob (unlikely I'm going to be tanking 2 bosses)

You are right, you are not gonna tank 2 bosses, but there are bosses that hits so fast that's like you are tanking two (Prince Malchezar is like tanking two bosses: his right arm and his left arm xDDDD). Remeber that you are a paladin aswell, the best on aoe agro and I don't think of a better tank for the trash in Hyjal. When you have 6-8 ghouls on you believe me that you are not gonna want 2xcrits in a row while necros/banshees are nuking u from distance ^^
    I guess you could have two sets: one for uncrushable and one for uncrittable. Wear uncrushable in regular bosses, uncrittable in 2Wielders and trash. But Im only guessing, my paladin is in blues yet.

In summary, TBC raiding is easy. 9/10 encounters can be summarized with 1 phrase. Stay out of the fucking fire.
    Panda Cub with a Gnome pet!

I'll start this by saying yes I'm a warrior tank but I regularly tank with two pallies one of whom is still going through the mission to get crush immune and the other one who recently succeeded.

I think it comes down to itemisation - to get crush immune its dodge, parry and block rating - even if you gem and enchant to those three I would think to get crush immune you're going to be crit immune based purely on the +def that sort of gear will have on it. Also always remember that +def adds to dodge and parry so by aiming to be crit immune you're working towards crush immunity too.
    **Give me a hug and I'll defend you with my life**
    Blog: http://www.tankspot.com/blog.php?550-Shortypop

hmm with the ammount of defense on gear i found it very hard not to get 490 defense. I was geared well while leveling being that id taken some resillience items and got uncritable pre-70.but stepping into 70 gear i easily reached 490 defense. I think once i had a gear set without 490 defense with block rating above uncrushable but ideally this isnt necessary and i gained nothing from doing it due to losing the VE rep ring and armor/stamina from felsteel gloves ->alliance SH quest.

Paladins AoE tank. AoE tanks take a lot of blows in a short amount of time, albeit small-ish blows. These mobs can crit. Don't be a fool, 490 defense is the rule.
    I am the light that brings the dawn.
    Something Wicked this way comes.

Not getting 490 is just foolish. With the gear thats out there 490 defense is very very easy to come across while building up some mitigation.

I think your throwing people off by saying "shield block" instead of holy shield.
    Like it was said before, you get to tanking prince and your going to be happy you had put up 490 defense, especially in second phase.
    Reinforcing whats said getting that 490 helps your avoidance stats.
    If you go the way of not scoring defense gear your going to miss out on heaps upon heaps of stamina as well as other important stats, realisticly losing block rating/parry/dodge in the process.
    Moreso there may come a time when holy shield isn't up, merely because of a mistake someone in raid makes or yourself or perhaps just a weird situation that calls for everyone to scramble. You could end up stunned before you get a chance to throw holy shield back up. You never know. It's always better to err on the side of safety.
    The most stressful, yet provides the most gratification..
    Tanking <3

I'd rather be crushed for 7k instead of crit for 10k.

Also holy shield suffers from lag..

so you will get the odd crushing in between anyway...lets just makesure that isnt a crit :S

Ok, well I'm gong to have to once again collect my share of defence gear, but considering what Nicki said, how reasonable would it be to wear a set of uncrushable gear without 5.6&#37; crit reduction for a boss? would it be worth it to eek out that last bit of EH to down a boss? Or would that lag time make that potential EH jump worthless?

Remember that crit isn't pushed off when crushing blows are. You'd need 5% more avoidance for a total of 72.4% to reach crit immunity while Holy Shield is up (and you're using the +block rating Libram).

In theory, you'd be absolutely fine with an uncrushable set. In practice, there are latency issues, double pulls and fast-hitting bosses that will very quickly get you killed.

I'm crush immune with Holy Shield up, but in Karazhan I still eat a crush from Maiden every fight because of the interrupt effect, at least one from Prince during phase 2 when he seems to hit you four or five times in a second and occasionally one from Romulo who attacks very fast and can sometimes sneak a hit in between Holy Shield casts. If any of those crushes were crits, especially on Prince, I'd probably wind up dead.

It's not something you should have to choose though. Pretty much every item which has a good amount of dodge, block or parry on it also has enough defense rating to get you your 490. The only time I struggle is with resistance sets.

I think this guy has a interesting idea. There is no point in worrying about "what about 25 man raid X or 25 man raid Y" because at that point in time he's naturally going to get 490 defense through superior itemization.

I havent heard of any pally tank Morogrom, but if it happens it will be nice to be uncritable since he can do 4-5 attacks back to back within seconds, So yes go for it

Quote Originally Posted by Norrath View Post
    Remember that crit isn't pushed off when crushing blows are. You'd need 5% more avoidance for a total of 72.4% to reach crit immunity while Holy Shield is up (and you're using the +block rating Libram).
    I'm not an expert in pally mechanics, but I think this is not correct.

When you are crit immune, the chance to crit simply becomes chance to hit, which still needs to be pushed off the table before the Crushing blow chance is pushed off the table.

Surely it makes no difference to the amount of total avoidance required to be crush immune whether that particular 5% chance is crit or hit?

+ Reply to Thread