+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A brief primer on Attack Power

A brief primer on Attack Power

This is a quick write-up I did for our Warriors/Locks/Druids on AP-reducing abilities. Thought I'd post it here, both as a brief for other people, and to make sure I didn't screw anything up.

- 2/5 Improved Demo Shout will negate all of a mob's attack power.
    - Curse of Weakness will negate all of a mob's attack power.
    - 3/5, 4/5, and 5/5 Improved Demo Shout have no additional affect over 2/5 Improved Demo Shout, provided the absence of any other AP-adjusting debuffs.

This indicates that the max amount of removable AP on a mob is somewhere around 340.

The Original AP Thread
    Some of the Original AP numbers in BC

This also means that a Druid must spec 5/5 into Feral Aggression to achieve the max AP reduction from Demoralizing Roar.

- Demoralizing Roar, Demoralizing Shout, and Curse of Weakness do not stack with each other, and will push each other off, depending on which one is more effective.

- Curse of Recklessness + Curse of Weakness (or 2/5 Improved Demo Shout, or 5/5 Demo Roar) leaves approximately 125 AP left on a mob.
    - Curse of Recklessness + 5/5 Improved Demo Shout leaves approximately 55 AP left on a mob.

Finally, an Owl pet's Screech ability stacks with all other AP-reducing abilities. This is the only way to remove all a mob's AP while Curse of Recklessness is up.

What's at stake?
    The mechanics for mob AP are significantly different from player AP. Player characters gain 1 DPS from 14 AP. Bosses are somewhat more variable, and it's hard to tie specific numbers to AP (though 1 DPS to 2 AP has been suggested). More accurately, a mob's removable attack power amounts to about 15% of their total damage output. As per this thread cited above, there is probably *some* sort of flat DPS > AP conversion, because the same debuffs on different mobs provide slightly different numbers, but they are all very close to each other. Proposed ranges for the actual reduction achieved by negating all negatable AP fall in the 14.5%-18% range.
    Last edited by Oda; 09-22-2007 at 11:03 AM.

Elitist Jerks primarily, some of it referenced on this website as well.

Nice, thanks for writing this.

Actually, that's a good idea, I should look into citing some of this stuff.

I'm still curious about Madhi's number crunching on the same thread as seen here, which suggests that mobs actually have more like ~372 attack power.

I've tried to get a hunter screenshot of the lurker below's damage range with 2/5 imp. demo shout, but the damage range in the screen shot is way off compared to the damage range in the thread.

Do we know for sure that bosses still have ~340 AP?

That's an interesting post, though it looks like some more data needs to be captured to flesh it out. If anything (I'm not great at math), he seems to be demonstrating that the max removable AP is, in fact, 320, and there's some third component that's immediately negated when any AP debuff is applied.

Interesting theory, but needs more data points to flesh out.

+ Reply to Thread